Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls - Releasing 15th January

I can easily get past anime visuals and, as far as any audio annoyances go I usually have the sound off anyways, so that's not an issue. All I'm looking for is just a smidgeon of the old school Wizardry, and as long as that's there, I'll be a happy camper/player!!!!

Who cares about the graphics - a Wizardry game!

As a fan of the Wizardry series, I thought that too… until I played one of those Japanese spin-offs about 15 years ago; truly awful! :thumbsdown:
I was surprised how much I hated it considering I enjoy many JRPGs, such as the Final Fantasy series.

They actually miss a lot of core elements of the later Wizardry games as well i.e. some of the classes, races and skills. The spell system was different as well when I played it a long time ago. Lost soul's in particular is missing bards, ranger, valkyrie, alchemists, Psionic and monk. It is missing most of the races and introduces a bullshit one as well (Porklu). Skills are massively cut down.

In terms of mechanics there are also big differences. Ability scores don't get reset on class change so the whole thing becomes just a grind to power - unfortunately very common in jrpgs.

They are barely wizardry games at all, just in name only.

Seems like they are based on the older wizardry games then. Wizardry 6-8 had a massive rules change, including adding the skill system, dramatically changing the magic system, and implementing a lot of new classes that had never been in wizardry before....pretty much every class you complain is missing in lost souls. Seems like the new game is probably staying truer to the classics, at least I’m terms of game mechanics.

I was not a fan of the art style but I played this via ps3 and then played this:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/291960/Elminage_Gothic/

If you enjoy Elminage Gothic you might enjoy this as EG is a better game. ;)

Me personally I enjoy the games because I miss the game mechanics. I get to role play my old Wizardry characters Vorpal and Sushi (The Ninja).

Last edited:
These games are based on the early Wizardry trilogy, 1-3. Just like Elminage Gothic which was a stellar, fantastic and incredible game. I have no doubts this game will be much of the same. A must buy for me!

Back
Top Bottom