Is anyone else unable to access the RPG Codex?

Rhett Butler

Traveler
I haven't been able to all day. If this is not just me does anyone know what's goin' on?

Can't go there, either. The server might be down.

Same here - immediate no-access error.

And same for Sorcerer's Place and Tacticular Cancer.

Went off again. I wonder what's wrong...

Still down--Codex and Sorcerer's Place both. Hope nothing ate their server permanently.

No problems from my location.

Yeah, works fine now. Hopefully that's the end of it.

Myrthos and I were speaking to Taluntain (the host) on a different matter and apparently they have a dodgy hard drive - I believe it may go down for a bit while they do the replacement but it should be good after that.

Calis? wrote a piece in the news (or what is in the rpg forums?) yesterday that their harddrive was dying and was to be replaced today. This means that there will be downtime today (friday the 5th of october) and probably tomorrow (saturday the 6th of october), too.

However, I can't seem to go to duckandcover? Is duckandcover related to rpgcodex in anyway, and by that I mean if they share the same harddrive or server? All I got at first at duckandcover.cx was some sort of Linus Red Hat announcement wehich basically said that if I could see this site, I was an admin? I think. Then I refreshed the page and I got the 'the webiste can't be accessed right now' error.

/aries100

However, I can't seem to go to duckandcover? Is duckandcover related to rpgcodex in anyway, and by that I mean if they share the same harddrive or server?
Yes, like TCancer and the Codex, Duckandcover is also hosted by Sorcerors.

This means that when things like a hard drive swap are imminent, people like Calis and Dark Underlord have to run around frantically backing up Duck, the Codex, TCancer, and Terra Arcanum (can't remember any others right now).
Fun fun fun.

So, Sorcerers.net, the site with all the great info on say Baldur's Gate games and such are hosting sites like TerraArcanum, the Codex, D&C, and Sorcerers.net itself.
But it still King of Creation who owns D&C and Vault Dweller who owns the Codex?

I'm really confused right now :confused: but probably not as much as Calis or Dark Underlord is. When D&C were down last time (when KofC moved), it took 3-5 days to get back up, I think. Hopefully, it will take a little shorter to get up again this time.

/aries100

Vault Dweller owns the Codex? No-one sent me that memo.

Ownership is a funny thing with these sites.
I used to own the TCancer domain (I've since given it to Baby Arm), but never considered myself the "owner" of the site itself - there were plenty of other people back then who had an equal or higher share in running things.

The domain ownership of the Codex lies with Saint (rpgcodex.com) and Calis (the new rpgcodex.net). Unless Calis has handed it off to someone that I am not aware of. Saint used to state quite plainly that domain ownership made him the "owner", but with the domain change and him not around... (shrug)

Basically we tend to skirt the issue and just get on with things. It kinda works.

No, I don't think Calis has handed the Codex torch on to another person as it was Calis who made the announcement that the CodeX would have downtime. So Vault Dweller is just like an admin of the Codex ?? or something like that -- or the webmaster?? And who is this Saint of whom people speak?? I hear people some time of him, but he never seems to be around - at all - these days.

Normally, the one who paid for the domain would be owner of the domain or site but things are maybe not so clear cut in the gaming world ?

Last edited:
Owners are not always the most visible people at a site. Myrthos owns the Watch, but you rarely see him post except in the staff forum. Be assured though, that he reads a LOT!! :)

Saint is one of the founding fathers who lost his interest. Not that I can blame him, considering the poor state of the industry.

I'm not the owner and never aspired to become one. Ownership implies duty and responsibility, and I'd like to reserve an option to walk away one day. Hopefully, sooner than later.

As for the roles, I handle news, reviews, and interviews. Dark Underlord is the owner (or should be one if he isn't).

Back
Top Bottom