Wasteland 3

D

Deleted member 18181

inxile-announces-wasteland-3-and-its-got-multiplayer-147507492532.png

inxile-announces-wasteland-3-and-its-got-multiplayer-147507491303.png

inxile-announces-wasteland-3-and-its-got-multiplayer-147507489425.png

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-09-28-inxile-announces-wasteland-3-and-its-got-multiplayer

I don't like how this will be their third consecutive game they've taken to Kickstarter.

It's not coming to Kickstarter. And if it were, it would be the fourth: WL2, Torment, BT4, WL3.

Usually, this would be my xth instapledge.

But MMO route? What, Interplay failed to make Fallout MMO so there is no competition against Wasteland MMO?
Sorry, good luck, time to search for some new friends I guess.

It's not coming to Kickstarter. And if it were, it would be the fourth: WL2, Torment, BT4, WL3.

As with previous inXile games, Wasteland 3 will be crowdfunded. But it's ditching Kickstarter in favour of Fig, the program set up by video game developers including Double Fine's Tim Schafer that lets people not just back projects, but invest in them. (inXile's Brian Fargo is on the Fig advisory board.)

The Wasteland 3 Fig campaign launches next week, 5th October, with a funding target of $2.75m. Of that, $2.25m is the maximum inXile will take for equity. The minimum investment is $1000, but if you want to simply back the project you can do so at a much smaller amount.

It's not Kickstarter but it's the same effect. It's a shady business practice imo to not use funds from prior crowdfunded games for new titles.

Fargo says that he made 12 million dollars in profit from WL2, and that WL3 will be funded using that money + crowdfunding + money from an unnamed publisher. It seems likely that WL3 will be a 20+ million dollar game.

It's not Kickstarter but it's the same effect. It's a shady business practice imo to not use funds from prior crowdfunded games for new titles.

I agree in so far as they should at least finish some projects first before asking for more. They owe their backers two games right now. Torment and Bard's Tale IV. Their backlog is two games. It seems more than a little greedy and shady to me to ask for more support at this time but whatever... the "crowd" will decide whether they want to support these business practices or not so it's fair game to try and extort more money from people.

Must you always be such a partybreaker.

Fargo says that he made 12 million dollars in profit from WL2, and that WL3 will be funded using that money + crowdfunding + money from an unnamed publisher. It seems likely that WL3 will be a 20+ million dollar game.

Word. Kickstarter away, Inxile! I'll play all the games they make as long as they are interesting RPGs.

Usually, this would be my xth instapledge.

But MMO route? What, Interplay failed to make Fallout MMO so there is no competition against Wasteland MMO?
Sorry, good luck, time to search for some new friends I guess.

Is Divinity: Original Sin an MMO, too? Adding a co-op/2-player feature does not equal "Massively Multiplayer Online" by any stretch of the imagination.

Dunno if it's MMO… Never bothered to check if it needs server login.
But D:OS is D:OS. It's not Divine Divinity 3, it's not Divinity 3, it's a spinoff, not a sequel.

Oddly you didn't use Star Citizen as an example where I stated today in another thread that I'm interested in it's MMO part.
But fits again to "not a sequel" territory.

Dunno if it's MMO… Never bothered to check if it needs server login.
But D:OS is D:OS. It's not Divine Divinity 3, it's not Divinity 3, it's a spinoff, not a sequel.

Server login does not equal "Massively Multiplayer Online", either. Online co-op/multiplayer is one thing, MMO is something much more MASSIVE.

D:OS I believe supports 2-4 players. 2-4 players is a typical amount coming from as far back as the NES days where you could buy the NES Four Score and connect up to 4 controllers to one NES for multiplayer in some games.

2-4 players does not equal thousands of simultaneous players playing in one universe, one game world on one server, etc. etc.

I for one definitely think there needs to be more co-op RPGs on PC. The list is so incredibly slim already, especially those that offer single-screen co-op with dual controllers. So, the more of these that get made the better, imo. D:OS was excellent and one of the best co-op RPGs ever. It didn't sacrifice depth or complexity really in any way and still delivered a classic PC RPG experience. I'm hoping Wasteland 3 and more like it also take notes from D:OS and deliver much of the same.

Server login does not equal "Massively Multiplayer Online", either. Online co-op/multiplayer is one thing, MMO is something much more MASSIVE.
No.
MMO is "publisher wishes MASSIVE active registered on server audience, reality could be less than 1 player online".

It's like all those numerous dead religions. Whoever led them, wished them massive. Preached fairy tales, persuaded, mesmerized, waged wars. And in many cases, scammed whenever possible.
Some succeeded to become massive. And survived over centuries by collecting microtransactions from their massive… Audience?

Oops, sorry for posting what should be in P&R forum in some thread about history of microtransactions. Can't go there share these thoughts, I'm aware for some it would be hard to swallow so for me it's better to stay away. Maybe I should write a book.

Back
Top Bottom