Baldur's Gate 3 rumors

Not related but what happened to the NonRealFluent ?

It was to distinguish him from the imaginary Evil Fluent, who was suspected of certain mischief about the forum.

It was to distinguish him from the imaginary Evil Fluent, who was suspected of certain mischief about the forum.

That, and I deleted my previous Fluent account during a bout of bitter depression. So it's TheRealFluent now. :)

Larian has denied it. Beamdog has denied it. It would be strange for Fargo to tweet that, if it was actually inXile. But they do collaborate with Obsidian, which leaves them as the only developers left with enough of a pedigree to do it any justice. There's nothing else known that's big on Obsidian's horizon, and PoE2 is wrapped up.

If all this is the correct math, my bet is on Obsidian being the highest probability.
Obsidian ?Bleh.. Hope this time its with core D&D rules at least, without sawyer views on rpgs, they could produce something half decent…Of course owlcat would be a ton better that if they feed them and give them time to finish the game.

The only way that Beamdog could do this and avoid years of online savagery, boycotts, and DDOS attacks is to just call it "Birth Of A Nation", based on the famous hit movie of 1915. And then some of our more vocal watchers that hated Dragonspear and love Kingmaker would embrace it, and we could all sleep at night.

Even with that, the anti-Beamdog brigade would be out in full force, bearing torches and grim tidings. For some people, that company simply cannot do anything right, I suppose some people feel about them say, the way I absolutely loathe Origin/Ubijunk.

I wouldn't mind if Beamdog made Baldur's Gate 3, but rumor has it they lost the IP.

There have been a lot of games since and before Baldur's gate I could careless. BioWare games hold nothing in my heart compaired to Ultima games or ground breaking gothic games.

2 games blah and the first wasn't that good

Which is what? Maybe Fargo knows that too…
The action one with shapes (not kidding) that Avellone is excited about.

Also rumor is that it is called Outer World because that is the trademark that Obsidian registred.

You are correct CelticFrost, compared to the giants like Garriott ,Sir-Tech, and New World Computing, Bioware was just a momentary blip on the screen. I can honestly say I'll likely never play another product of theirs, unless I replay one of the few games of theirs that I still enjoy.

I wouldn't mind if Beamdog made Baldur's Gate 3, but rumor has it they lost the IP.

It's the same rumors that claims Larian is making Baldur's Gate 3. The journalists went "Larian is making BG3 now, so that means Beamdog lost the BG license". If that had happened we would have heard of it from the official channels and Beamdog would have to delist the BG:EE/BG2:EE games from retailers and stop selling them.

It's the same rumors that claims Larian is making Baldur's Gate 3. The journalists went "Larian is making BG3 now, so that means Beamdog lost the BG license". If that had happened we would have heard of it from the official channels and Beamdog would have to delist the BG:EE/BG2:EE games from retailers and stop selling them.

I don't think they'd necessarily have to stop selling games produced while they had the license.

You're probably right but they just sat on the IP for years and never made BG3.

Probably easier and cheaper to remaster, and use the existing engine to make one expansion. So I don't really think Beamdog will ever make an original game at all.

Though the contract might have a clause to say they could not make any new games with the Ip. It wouldn't be the first time a developer had a time limit on a contract.

So bottom line if a different developer makes BG3 they lost the rights to any future games. Also it wasn't an article. The rumor was based on a few Codex posts with links.
I don't think they'd necessarily have to stop selling games produced while they had the license.
Like I said above they can still sell the remasters just not anything new. Anyway it has been years since any news from Beamdog about those secret projects in the works.

Beamdog never had the BG licence. They just had a licence to make and sell EE of the original games.
Even Beamdog chief talked in interviews how he is all the time asking WotC for a licence to make a new D&D game and they kept saying no.

I've no idea if Beamdog are actually any good. I haven't played the remasters, and I wasn't sure I liked the idea of a new chapter inserted into some of my favorite games. Then they trolled gamergaters, and it became hard to identify useful reviews in between the spittle-flecked ravings and their defenders.

I've no idea if Beamdog are actually any good. I haven't played the remasters, and I wasn't sure I liked the idea of a new chapter inserted into some of my favorite games. Then they trolled gamergaters, and it became hard to identify useful reviews in between the spittle-flecked ravings and their defenders.
Yep I remember that as it was all over the news a few years back.:nod:

Basically it brought a bunch of bad PR with how Beamdog handled the situation. It most definitely had to affect the expansions sales as well in the first few months.

Seems their focus is on NeverWinter Nights right now. I don't think Obsidian will let them remaster the second game anytime soon. It doesn't even need a facelift.

Added story/companions content in BG1EE and BG2EE goes from really terrible to passable. All the other enhancements are nice if you don't feel like modding BG1 and BG2 yourself and some of the new features you cannot get with mods. For Bg1EE I would say 8/10, BG2EE 6/10 (because the biggest advantage of BG1EE is playing it with Bg2 engine and options, and they didn't really make any real changes to BG2).

BG Siege of Dragonspear on the other hand has passable story and characters (but it all feels unneeded) and combat encounters are well designed (better than BG1 and better than many parts of BG2), but the game is too linear and they overdid it with magic items. I would give it 7/10. Overall worse than BG1 or BG2 or even ToB exp.

Yep I remember that as it was all over the news a few years back.:nod:

Basically it brought a bunch of bad PR with how Beamdog handled the situation. It most definitely had to affect the expansions sales as well in the first few months.

Seemed like a whole lot of fuss over nothing. Probably not the best business move to wind up the rage-fueled incel community, though. Those dudes know how to review-bomb.

Beamdog is good, I enjoyed the EE's and also Siege of Dragonspear, even if they did overdo it with the bestiary a bit. It should have been 2 expansions, or larger with an alternate route through. But they did a good job. Reason this could be Beamdog making BG3 is that Trent has been working with WotC closely now for a long time, and they were "proving" themselves to WotC through their products. They planned to do a 5th ed. game down the road. Trent did say they have a great relationship and worked closely with WotC on all of the Beamdog projects, and that Trent's plan was to eventually make a 5th ed. game with their approval. So it's either Beamdog or Owlcat at this point, I'm now leaning towards Beamdog.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom