What games are you playing now?

Don't restart. Push forward.

Hexprone, by Ch2 you didn't lose so many bracer points as to make the highest rank unachievable, I think. The second game is very strict in this respect, but the first one gave us some leeway.

Anyway, do push forward, indeed. Just relax and play. What if you miss some more quests in the future, will you restart again? It isn't worth it :)

If you're really intent on collecting all bracer points, you should play with a BP guide. But that kinda destroys the enjoyment of discovery in the game.

I'm glad you like it, btw. Two Trails in the Sky games are my most favorite games of all recent ones (even though they aren't recent in Japan). I love them :)

Victor Vran. I don't normally play overhead action-RPGs, but Victor Vran isn't a typical Diablo clone. I like that there's an option to use WASD to move instead of just the mouse, and being able to jump adds another element to exploring the environment. The gothic-steampunk setting is pretty cool as well.

I think you're drawing a wrong conclusion here. I don't like easy games personally, I just said that the game was tough enough for me on normal, but I wouldn't want it to be made easier than that. And yeah, the reason was likely that I completely forgot how to play it and all those explanations about quartz and what not from FC that I read years ago.

Have you tried the Trails Cold of Steel yet? It must be the easiest game in the series, with a massive EP pool, CP that feels like it never ends, lots of health, "cheating" CP skills (like the one that restores your HP each turn), etc. I heard that the Japanese fanbase wasn't delighted with how easy it was and the next game was made more difficult yet again.

For some reason CRPGs are all easy for me, I always play on hardest difficulties available, but JRPGs are more varied in difficulty. Some are super easy, some turn out to be tougher than I expected. It's likely due to CRPGs all being essentially the same combat-wise. So if you've learnt how turn-based (a la D&D) and action (a la Gothic and Witcher) systems play, you can just play all CRPGs on hardest available difficulties from then on. Other Western systems will essentially be the clones of these ones.

Well, you are telling me the other games are even easier? :'( , :'( , :'( , :'( , it is very strange to me, how there are literally no games which manages to combine a good story with good gameplay system. Ogre Tactics: Let us cling together is the ONLY game I can think of on the top of my head, maybe it is just too complicated to make both of these good... I mean OG: LUC is only one battle after another so they can focus both on C&C, story and gameplay system in that one.. maybe that is the reason.

Well, you are telling me the other games are even easier? :'( , :'( , :'( , :'(
Just one, as far as I know. They apparently wanted to go after acquiring more general audience and made it a clone of Persona with lower difficulty. But afaik that changed after fanbase was vocally discontent (it still ranks as the worst game of all 7 in fanbase ranking, lol), and the next game was already more traditional and with higher difficulty. It's untranslated yet, so I haven't seen it.

I still think the only game that managed to have great gameplay and decent story was Baldur's Gate 2 (on highest difficulty or with difficulty-raising mods). Among JRPGs, maybe Mana Khemia games (those are easy, so what I mean by "great gameplay" was that they were very pleasant to play). All other games I mainly play for story these days. Hated DA: Inquisition until I stopped expecting good combat, and once I stopped expecting it I started to love the game. W3's combat is repetitive. And these, alas, were the biggest RPG hits in the West… I'd say Trails in the Sky is quite good in terms of combat, if not in difficulty (for you, for me it was just right), then at least in how pleasant it is to play. The system is interesting enough.

Ogre Tactics is a strategy game, right? I'm a bit afraid of those. Most that I've seen require grinding, I can't bear grinding, so I'm always worried that I'll get stuck.

I'm playing:

PC
Grim Dawn
Dying light(a bit)
Fallout 4

PS4
Uncharted 2
Final Fantasy X
Disgaea 5

Yeah, a bit busy.

Just one, as far as I know. They apparently wanted to go after acquiring more general audience and made it a clone of Persona with lower difficulty. But afaik that changed after fanbase was vocally discontent (it still ranks as the worst game of all 7 in fanbase ranking, lol), and the next game was already more traditional and with higher difficulty. It's untranslated yet, so I haven't seen it.

I still think the only game that managed to have great gameplay and decent story was Baldur's Gate 2 (on highest difficulty or with difficulty-raising mods). Among JRPGs, maybe Mana Khemia games (those are easy, so what I mean by "great gameplay" was that they were very pleasant to play). All other games I mainly play for story these days. Hated DA: Inquisition until I stopped expecting good combat, and once I stopped expecting it I started to love the game. W3's combat is repetitive. And these, alas, were the biggest RPG hits in the West… I'd say Trails in the Sky is quite good in terms of combat, if not in difficulty (for you, for me it was just right), then at least in how pleasant it is to play. The system is interesting enough.

Ogre Tactics is a strategy game, right? I'm a bit afraid of those. Most that I've seen require grinding, I can't bear grinding, so I'm always worried that I'll get stuck.

There is no need for grinding in Ogre Tactics: Let us Cling Together... and if you haven't played it yet.... :D just do it already!

I recently played and finished Ogre Tactics for the very first time myself, over the holidays when I had no internet. It was an amazing game, one I'm sure I'll replay in the future simply because of just how fun and challenging it was. I may have to find more classic gems to load onto my Vita.

I just cannot get into electronic games lately due to time restraints imposed by my tabletop games which are:

Dungeon Crawl Classics: A retro-inspired D20'ish rpg with some innovative dice mechanics and charts. For instance - a caster doesnt simply cast a spell with the same result every time. When a "fireball" spell is cast, a roll on the chart will determine whether it's a poof of smoke or an inferno. It may decimate the enemy, or blow up in your face

Warhammer 40k: 40,000 years in the future, mankind struggles to simply survive in a multiverse full of aliens and inter-dimensional beings all bent on annihilation. It's the epitome of "grimdark", and I think where the term originated. This is a tabletop war strategy game based on this eternal confict. My factions: Black Templars, Adepta Sororitas, Inquisition, Blood Angels, and now that Horus Heresy era miniatures are now hitting mainstream - Imperial Fists (pretty excited for 30k)

Saga - Dark Ages skirmish game - Playing as Vikings in this skirmish-based strategy game. As opposed to the full armies clashing over 4-hour or more long games, Saga is more bite-sized small engagements of multiple rounds of less units. It's enjoyable, and far cheaper than 40K

I have dabbled in Fallout 4, and do want to play it soon. It's just that tabletop games encompass more than simply playing them. It's crafting, research, and practice, with a girlfriend (or even friends in general) it can be tough to find the time to seriously invest in a video game

There is no need for grinding in Ogre Tactics: Let us Cling Together… and if you haven't played it yet…. :D just do it already!

Agreed - love Tactics Ogre (that is how it was ordered for US PSP release!) ... Great game, no real grinding required ... Which I found similar to Jeanne D'Arc, etc.

I just cannot get into electronic games lately due to time restraints imposed by my tabletop games which are:

Dungeon Crawl Classics: A retro-inspired D20'ish rpg with some innovative dice mechanics and charts. For instance - a caster doesnt simply cast a spell with the same result every time. When a "fireball" spell is cast, a roll on the chart will determine whether it's a poof of smoke or an inferno. It may decimate the enemy, or blow up in your face

I quite like DCC. If I was going to go for an old-school RPG, that's the one I'd choose. The magic stuff you mentioned is really cool, but it's also got a lot of advice on world building. The funnel's also one of the most ingeniously sadistic character creation methods out there. Sure, you might die horribly during character creation in Traveller, but DCC makes you actively participate in it. Delicious!

Played about an hours worth of Final Fantasy three today, and liking it. I probably won't get to play anymore till Monday because of hockey and football this weekend, but I'll be looking forward to getting back to this one!!

After roughly 60 hours of The Elder Scrolls Online, I decided to swap my primary Covenant character - a lvl 20 Orc Dragon Knight tank/close combat DPS - for a newborn Imperial Sorcerer ... just because I felt the overwhelming desire to have an Imperial Battlemage.

I think instead of switching characters you should switch the game. :p

Still on League of Legends, dunno why, it's still fun.

Hehe.. I have also been playing TESO lately but mostly just because of the $1,000,000 contest :) . The game itself has failed to really capture me so far. I play a Breton mage and I'm low level still exploring Daggerfall and surroundings.
The world design/world building is good but everything else (gameplay mechanics) leaves quite a bit to be desired.

Oh well, gimme that $1 million, Bethesda, and everything shall be forgiven and forgotten! :biggrin:

You honestly believe the winner (or more) was not known before it started and it isn't just a bait to get people playing that rubbish instead of proper singleplayer games?

I think instead of switching characters you should switch the game. :p
No thanks … I'd rather stick to a game where this Elder Scrolls-o-holic is safe (meaning, none of my characters will bump into one of yours) :p.

Seriously, though, I will most probably make a TESO break once Dishonored 2 is out … then again, I might wait for that game to hit the bargain bin as I did with the predecessor, even though it was my favorite game of the last few years.

I like TESO a lot better than I thought I would; only recently I found an old fanfic of mine (from '97) that took place in Daggerfall, Wayrest and the Wrothgarian mountains. It's so cool to be back - and without Lysandus' ghost terrorizing the streets of Daggerfall, it's a somewhat more relaxed affair this time around. Then I visited Stros M'kai … oh the memories. Or would it be better to say 'memories of the future'?
Okay, I can't have a house which is not cool, but I can have as many horses and pets as I want to as long as I have crowns left which is fine. Right now I'm content with the exploration of the places I visited in the other ES games. So looking forward to seeing Mournhold …

Once I'm through with the Covenant main story, I'll probably switch to my Imperial Templar who is working for the Reds, I mean the Ebonheart Pact. I hate the Altmer with a passion so even though I love the Bosmer Nightblade I created for the Dominion, I'm not sure I can stomach to work for these d***heads.

You honestly believe the winner (or more) was not known before it started and it isn't just a bait to get people playing that rubbish instead of proper singleplayer games?

No. I honestly believe that is exactly what they did but I'm willing to take the minuscule chance that maybe there is a real chance to win the pot :) .
It does not happen too often that you get such relatively good odds for winning a $1 million.
But, yes, realistically I believe that the winner is going to be Todd Howard's little brother and that no one outside the US has a chance at winning anyway due to legal and tax complications etc.

People, I'm not sure where to ask this so I am trying here, also didn't want to start another thread but if that is best please let me know.

I have never played any of the FF games, other than starting from the start is there a good starting point? I have FFIII (bought on a sale) is that OK as a starting point?

What sort of games do I like? Story driven, preferbaly not top-down, open world, limited combat (I have major wrist issues) without huge requirements for crafting/settlement management (not that I don't mind crafting but I don't like to be forced to have to do it, here's looking at you Skyrim & Fallout4) Major time over the last few years on Witcher 3, DA:I, replaying Mass Effect, CIV:Beyond Earth, etc.

Thanks for advice!

Back
Top Bottom