EA doesn't like you rating their mobile games (unless you rate it 5/5)

wolfing

Dalek SasqWatch
Saw this piece of news somewhere and, since we all hate EA, found it interesting… http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ds-rating-system-filters-out-1-4-star-reviews
Basically, for their Dungeon Keeper mobile game, they added a 'low score trap' in their in-game rating button. Instead of directly sending you to Android review screen to enter your score, it pops a nice window that says "Are you going to score this …" two buttons, 1-4 and 5. If you click "1-4" it opens a window where you put a score and it's sent as an email to EA (but no score is recorded), while only '5' opens the real review screen, so if you want to score it 2, you have to click on '5' and then when the real review screen comes, score it 2. Very sleazy EA!

Their response claims it is because so many will give poor review scores but no feedback, so this helps them learn how to improve. That response fails to note how hard it is to give them that score now.

Why am I not surprised seeing that scam?

Why am I not surprised seeing that scam?

Not only that, it is one of the more abusive 'IAP pushers' I have tried. Haven't deleted it off my iPad yet ... but it won't last long.

Saw this piece of news somewhere and, since we all hate EA, found it interesting…
Actually, EA practices are being made more and more commendable by comparison to small, indie studios' practices.

It made the BBC.

We should give bigger game publishers an similar thing. "Do you really want to unstall your game on my PC ?" and then offer them buttons from 1-5, with 1-4 sending an e-mail to me, and only 5 installing the game.

That would be proper customer control, to put it cynically and satirically.

that's some pretty dirty pool. makes you wonder how well this will work. they must feel that most of their gamers are casual and won't think twice about what's going on. I wonder if Google would put a stop to this, after all, their company motto is Don't be Evil.

I wonder if Google would put a stop to this, after all, their company motto is Don't be Evil.
EA seems to have almost the exact same motto with only a very small and subtle difference: Don't, be evil. So they might get along after all.

that's some pretty dirty pool. makes you wonder how well this will work. they must feel that most of their gamers are casual and won't think twice about what's going on. I wonder if Google would put a stop to this, after all, their company motto is Don't be Evil.

Google is an advertising-based company that makes money by getting you to reveal personal information and then selling it ... so if you believe 'Don't Be Evil' has anything to do with their operations, their advertising machine is doing its job :)

Well, I read in an Retro Gaming magazine a bit on the early history of EA … People stated that even then, EA's games were mediocre, but their marketing was truly excellent.
It seems that not much has changed since then.

EA is in a difficult position. They've been consistently flailed for being EA.
Anyone in this position is legitimate in shielding off this kind of perpetual baseless bashing.
They were elected twice as the worst company out of wanton hate.
Cant be for ethical causes because in the last two years, indies have beaten EA at the ethical game. Yet EA keep receiving the whip from people who celebrate indies' ethics.
Petitioning against the choice of an athlete on a game cover, that might happen to be the first black person choosen to be on cover in their game series, makes things even muddier.

People hate a lot on EA but not for gaming reasons.

Google is an advertising-based company that makes money by getting you to reveal personal information and then selling it … so if you believe 'Don't Be Evil' has anything to do with their operations, their advertising machine is doing its job :)

Mike, I'm surprised you missed my facetiousness, but I'm glad you caught the irony. :D

Last I checked EA still didn't have many mobile games though.

EA is in a difficult position. They've been consistently flailed for being EA.
Anyone in this position is legitimate in shielding off this kind of perpetual baseless bashing.
They were elected twice as the worst company out of wanton hate.
Cant be for ethical causes because in the last two years, indies have beaten EA at the ethical game. Yet EA keep receiving the whip from people who celebrate indies' ethics.
Petitioning against the choice of an athlete on a game cover, that might happen to be the first black person choosen to be on cover in their game series, makes things even muddier.

People hate a lot on EA but not for gaming reasons.

I'll take the bait. What terribly unethical indie practices are you talking about?

Basically, for their Dungeon Keeper mobile game, they added a 'low score trap' in their in-game rating button. Instead of directly sending you to Android review screen to enter your score, it pops a nice window that says "Are you going to score this …" two buttons, 1-4 and 5. If you click "1-4" it opens a window where you put a score and it's sent as an email to EA (but no score is recorded), while only '5' opens the real review screen, so if you want to score it 2, you have to click on '5' and then when the real review screen comes, score it 2. Very sleazy EA!

People, do me a favor please.
Please, it's just 5 minutes of your life. 5 minutes about a game, 5 minutes you will never forget, 5 minutes to show you when you think nothing can be worse than something, well it can.

Watch it.

I see that you have pressed 1-4 on your device. Thank you for your feedback. Please note that our lawyers have advised us that mobile devices should not be inserted into the rectum as this may cause permanent tissue damage.

Back
Top Bottom