CAPTCHA on the way out?

dteowner

Shoegazer
http://news.yahoo.com/internet-advertisers-kill-text-based-captcha-205416291.html

But if these silly security systems make you want to bust your keyboard in half, you'll be happy to hear that we may very well be seeing the last days of the obnoxious, text-based CAPTCHA system, and the next verification system you see online may make you happy to view advertisements for the first time ever.

Not sure how much I like the "new" answer, but it can't be much worse than what we've got today.

Thanks for posting that. I tend to use word problems on the website I manage. I hate most of the image ones - can never read them right. So far word problems seem to block the bots and they are easy enough to update as needed.

The only problem I see with it that the 'commonly known' brand name or logo of the ad might not be known that well in the different countries we cater.
One thought that pops up though that on this site I could ask for the name of the game that is currently displayed in the ad at the top of the page.

The only problem I see with it that the 'commonly known' brand name or logo of the ad might not be known that well in the different countries we cater.
One thought that pops up though that on this site I could ask for the name of the game that is currently displayed in the ad at the top of the page.

Not bad, but it may sometimes be confusing. Should I write Gothic or Gothic 3 or Gothic III? Spellforce or Spellforce Platinum or Spellforce Platinum Edition?

Ad-based verification ? How idiotic. This is nothing but forcing advertisement towards all possible customers ... The advertisement companies will be happy, because they profit from this new thing.

To me, this is nothing but "just another ploy" to to get advertisement into "hitherto unknown teritories ... where no man has been before", so to say. Bah.

I have seen the GDR shortly after the fall of the wall (in Germany). You just can't imagine how it looked like, with NO advertisements AT ALL. You just can't. It looked so ... "alien" to me ...

What about people who use ad blocking software? They wouldn't see those ads.

Not bad, but it may sometimes be confusing. Should I write Gothic or Gothic 3 or Gothic III? Spellforce or Spellforce Platinum or Spellforce Platinum Edition?
The exact thing to type in is displayed in the ad, but I agree it would require a checking mechanism that allows too much probably to cover typos and variations..

What about people who use ad blocking software? They wouldn't see those ads.
They would not be able to register or do anything else that would require this, unless they temporarily enable ads . I really do not see that as a blocking issue.

Back
Top Bottom