Basilisk Games - Thank You For A Great 2014

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Basilisk Games posted a thank you to all their supporters for a great year in 2014.

Dearest Fan/Customer/Friend:

The staff at Basilisk Games want to thank you for a wonderful 2014. The final Eschalon game was launched last February and marked the end of a long road for us. Thank you for being part of it!

As for 2015 and beyond, all we can say right now is that a number of projects are brewing here in the studio. We’ll be working on a few smaller titles outside the Basilisk Games label while we continue to develop our next RPG franchise. There is also a growing number of requests from fans to see the Eschalon series rebuilt with a HD widescreen engine, additional content and extended storyline. Anything is possible; the future is bright with unlimited possibilities, much like it was when we started Book I development back in 2005!

Thanks again for your support. We will see all of you next year!
Thank you Black Rune for sending in the link.

More information.

I think he said something about moving to a new graphics engine in the past for his next games, hopefully that is the case. I'd rather see new games from Basilisk with a snazzy new engine, rather than retreads of older games done again.

I know from personal conversations that he wants to do a futuristic blob game...that was their game they were working on alongside part 3 of Eschalon.

I developed a tiered skill system for eschalon 2(whiich they didn't end up using) that gave skills when you had certain levels in other skills. He is really open to listening to ideas like that.

I should touch base and see if he is moving forward with it.

Matter of fact I will email him and let you know.

Hopefully it isn't the Unity engine as he hasn't talked about it yet on the forums. I also remember him talking about an Eschalon Book 3 expansion this year.

Though it looks like that plan has been scrapped. Anyway I look forward to seeing what new games he makes with the new engine in the following years.

Unity takes a lot of hits for no reason I think. Especially with the unity 5 now out.

It's a cheap engine that you can get some decent games out of.

Well the unity engine is used in almost all indie games now anyway. So I really have no problem with it, and I'm not against him using it if he wants to.;)

Though I do have the problem of my GPU overheating with some games made with the engine. Its a well know problem of the unity engine check out the tech support forum.

Notable games with the problem.

1. Legends of Dawn
2. Wasteland 2

Nothing game ending but they make my card run hot.

Well the unity engine is used in almost all indie games now anyway. So I really have no problem with it, and I'm not against him using it if he wants to.;)

Though I do have the problem of my GPU overheating with some games made with the engine. Its a well know problem of the unity engine check out the tech support forum.

Yeah I have heard that....but I have been playing a lot unity games....shadowrun/shroud of the avatar etc and never had problems....I'm assuming that it was something they worked out for unity 5.

That's good to hear because the games run fine until certain parts of the game make my fans just go full blast. It's not an air-flow or venting problem either.

I'll have to read up on the new updated version as I remember posting about it.

I've had problems running Unity games on my laptop, I get the overheat issue along with really poor performance for those games that don't overheat it.

Hum. I wanted to ask how unity compares to crytex and unreal engines since both of those engines are generally available to indie developers on the cheap.
-
in case it wasn't clear from a developer perspective; i.e, ease of game making and features for rpgs.

Hum. I wanted to ask how unity compares to crytex and unreal engines since both of those engines are generally available to indie developers on the cheap.
-
in case it wasn't clear from a developer perspective; i.e, ease of game making and features for rpgs.
Your correct with everything you wrote, but the most important factor is Unity is cheaper to use. Though the Cry engine offers cheaper alternates now also.

I asked a developer this question and it basically comes down to preference, and what type of game of your going to develop.

Last edited:
Thing is also that unity includes everyhthing. Whether you want to make a game for android, an iPad or PC. In addition much more people are using unity than other engines. That also means lots of people contribute to unity. If you want to build a game with unity you can already use a lot of stuff other people made, which costs less then programming/ designing it on your own. In addition it's pretty easy to get into. I don't know what the other engines are using. But programming in unity is rather easy. You can use JS or C#, also lots of tutorials for that are available.

But on topic again: I liked how the game looked and how it "felt". But unfortunately neither the game design (character system and similar) nor the writing was any good in my opinion. While I would still buy additional stuff from them (no remakes though), in this particular case I would welcome it if they get a good writer/ game designer on board and try something new.

Back
Top Bottom