Dark Souls II - Interview @ IGN

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Jenna Pitcher a freelance journalist writing for IGN posted another short interview for Dark Souls 2 with Director Yui Tanimura about the next DLC Scholar of the First Sin.

Without adding new enemies or maps, FromSoftware’s upcoming Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin will dish out greater challenges for veterans and offer a twist on the original story with the new non-playable character, director Yui Tanimura tells IGN.

“In terms of new content, there are no additional maps, no. But the story will be new and expanded and fresh, even for the players who have played through seven or eight times,” Tanimura says. “But there are some new ways through the maps.”

The updated version won’t feature new enemies—except for a new type of Dark Phantom they couldn’t divulge any information on—but enemy placement and how they interact with player is scrambled.

“The enemy placement and the types of enemies that you are going to face, in terms of different areas, is totally different ... And that will change how you will reach the end of the map,” Tanimura says. “So for the DLCs those were new maps, new areas to explore. For this game, we are basically making a new challenge out of the entire Dark Souls 2.”
More information.

I haven't played any DS games but that was a good read. Sounds like some good upgrades for current DS2 players.

Scolar of the First Sin is not a DLC. Its a rerelease of DS2 and not onlinecompatible with the original DS2. There will be a patch for players who already have the game with a few of the new content but they won't get graphical updates(dx11) and some gameplay updates and you won't be able to play with SOTFS players. So if you want to get all new content you will have to buy the game again!!!!!

I find this is a despicable business practice even more so because the game was on sale on steam a few days ago. The exsisting players were used as paying beta testers and now have to pay again.

So I have the DX9 version and have to pay for the DX11 version with upgrades (with or without DLC?) so that I am able to connect with other players on the DX11 version!

Will they stop the DX9 online functionality if I don't want to pay for the eyecandy of DX11?

What if I want the DLC on the DX9 version only? will it still be available - but what would be the point in this case if there is no online functionality with this DX9 DLC!

I don't like this.

There is no new content or maps (read the article) in the free patch, just:
- reorganisation of enemy placement in some areas,
- more dialog from one of the existing NPCs (probably to highlight a small path/area that no one has noticed in the original due to the poor level design),
- and larger multiplayer capacity.

All of this stuff is always free as part of any game patch, and they would have not bothered with except to dampen the insult of asking people who already bought the game to pay more money for a DX11 version - yes you have to pay for the DX11 upgrade as it is not part of the free patch:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/236430/discussions/0/624076027426323183/

I see this all the time on consoles so I'm not surprised by From Software's decision. As Remakes or HD Re-masters as they call them make a lot money nowadays.

Also they can't all be given out for free, and this makes you respect CD Projekt more since they upgrade their games for free to the enhanced editions.

Anyway I have never bought or played a single Dark Souls game.

I see this all the time on consoles so I'm not surprised by From Software's decision. As Remakes or HD Re-masters as they call them make a lot money nowadays.

Also they can't all be given out for free, and this makes you respect CD Projekt more since they upgrade their games for free with the enhanced editions.

Anyway I have never bought or played a single Dark Souls game.

It is a different culture that is being poured on PC gamers - we normally get these graphic enhancements as free downloads on PC (e.g. Skyrim and Shadow of Mordor .. etc.). That is why it is a bit hard to swallow to be required to pay for a DX11 upgrade and online compatibility!

I hear ya but again it seems times are changing, and were powerless to stop them. I hated DLC in the beginning, but gamers wallets spoke otherwise.

Also don't forget the developer is mainly focused on console development. We didn't see a single Souls game till that petition showed PC gamers were interested.

Time for another petition maybe, or just don't buy any of their future games?:thinking:

Back
Top Bottom