Is there a skill tree in a video game that comes close to Path of Exiles skill tree?

Damian

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor
It is like perfection in a skill tree. No multiple uses of point on nodes. Most nodes a significant but the big nodes are awesome. You can literally get lost in the skill tree of this game.

I can't really agree - as I think it's pretty bad design. It's nice to look at, but it's way too hard to get a grasp of the direction that's ideal for your build. It's like a deliberate maze added on top of an already complex system. You could take almost any game of reasonable complexity and expand that complexity ten-fold by making such a pointlessly elaborate tree of choices.

Also, the VAST majority of "dots" in the tree are passive stat bonuses - and they could have reduced the amount of dots very easily - but no, they clearly wanted players to get lost in it.

I understand the fascination with it, because I also love the feeling that there's a million ways to build a character. But I don't enjoy feeling like a hamster on a pointless wheel - or a mouse in a cruel maze.

But that's just me.

If you're looking for a similar approach, I know there's a lot of J-RPGs that have this kind of "matrix layout" for skill/power progression, where half the challenge is finding your way around and trying to figure the path to optimal power.

I prefer games that don't present their choices in opaque ways - and which combine easy-to-read layouts with interesting choices - and where the complexity is about how to combine powers in smart ways, not about how to navigate a maze of passive bonuses in just the right way.

Also, the VAST majority of "dots" in the tree are passive stat bonuses

That is the case with most aRPG.You gain few skill point and incise ability effectiveness by few % and every certain number of skill points you hit power spike(new ability, additional bonus stats etc..). It's same case with PoE except in it you gain 1 skill points per level but you gain levels relatively fast.End result is more or less the same.

I understand the fascination with it, because I also love the feeling that there's a million ways to build a character. But I don't enjoy feeling like a hamster on a pointless wheel - or a mouse in a cruel maze.

"Cruel maze", isn't that bit over the top ;)?PoE skill isn't that complicated.Skill tree isn't best presented, it takes bit of zooming and scrolling to see all nods you might find useful but once you figured out "around" which active skills you want to make build than options present themselves.You can pick wrong option ofc because it wouldn't be fun if everything worked but as I said in another thread you can beat the game with lot of strange builds if you know how to make it work.

I like PoE exile skill tree a lot since it requires bit of thought to be put itn't it but PoE isn't superhardcore aRPG some people seem think.In fact Diablo 2 and Soulvizier(Titian quest mod I like to mention every chance I get:)) on hardest difficulties require lot more build/gear optimization than PoE does.

Last edited:
I am trying to think of a JRPG that has a similar approach. I cant really think of one.

As fro Path of Exiles skill tree it isnt that complex, once you go through the game once it i easy to understand. But i do understand where you are coming from, i guess different strokes?

EDIT:Ah now i remember FFX was one.

That is the case with most aRPG.You gain few skill point and incise ability effectiveness by few % and every certain number of skill points you hit power spike(new ability, additional bonus stats etc..). It's same case with PoE except in it you gain 1 skill points per level but you gain levels relatively fast.End result is more or less the same.

Sure, but I don't really remember other aRPGs with that kind of layout.

"Cruel maze", isn't that bit over the top ;)?PoE skill isn't that complicated.Skill tree isn't best presented, it takes bit of zooming and scrolling to see all nods you might find useful but once you figured out "around" which active skills you want to make build than options present themselves.You can pick wrong option ofc because it wouldn't be fun if everything worked but as I said in another thread you can beat the game with lot of strange builds if you know how to make it work.

Ok, maybe it's a bit over the top - but it was more a way of communicating my position.

This is all down to what you enjoy in games, and obviously PoE fans enjoy this kind of layout, and that's cool.

I like PoE exile skill tree a lot since it requires bit of thought to be put itn't it but PoE isn't superhardcore aRPG some people seem think.In fact Diablo 2 and Soulvizier(Titian quest mod I like to mention every chance I get:)) on hardest difficulties require lot more build/gear optimization than PoE does.

I'm not saying it's "hard" - I'm just saying it's needlessly complex in an area that I don't - personally - find very interesting.

I like build optimisation a LOT - and I can't get enough of that. But I don't like fighting the system to get where I want to go, if you take my meaning.

But it's all down to personal preferences.

I am trying to think of a JRPG that has a similar approach. I cant really think of one.

As fro Path of Exiles skill tree it isnt that complex, once you go through the game once it i easy to understand. But i do understand where you are coming from, i guess different strokes?

EDIT:Ah now i remember FFX was one.

Different strokes, definitely.

I've seen several JRPGs with a matrix like layout, but since I never enjoy them - I don't really remember the names.

I do remember playing one not too long ago on PS3 - which was pretty good, but I don't remember the name. It was a sci-fi kind of RPG.

However, what I REALLY like about PoE - is the active skill system with the gems you place in equipment.

That's exactly the kind of experimenting and playing around with skills that I DO love :)

I think FF moved to a matrixish type skill tree around X.

PoE's skill tree is a double edged sword, it opens up a ton of build options, often times weird or legendary/specific node dependent, but there's also an absurd amount of ways to derail a build and gimp your toon which you won't figure out till you're attempting to finish Act 3 on the hardest difficulty/maps. I personally love it, but it has bitten me before and I do understand the dislike for it.

The gem system is truly amazing though. Very unique and well done. I really like how they continue to add abilities in a thoughtful way.

Back
Top Bottom