Divinity: Original Sin - Two New Reviews

o_O, is that in the same playthrough?

I'm at something like 23 hours in (first map), but not exactly first characters. I restarted a few times to get characters that I felt were "right" (I do that often when I'm learning a new gameplay system, I'm picky on playstyles).

31 hours since release.

(13 hours was my first alpha version test )

Dunno how many hours… GOG doesn't track it. :(

I'm done with the first map, solved everything that could be solved on it. :D
Unpatched game, no bugs. Okay, not that there is none, just a couple ignorable ones.
Didn't restart, playing on normal, no ai setting, starting pair is wizard+cleric.

Reviews praising the game is not unusual. I'm loving it so much I just can't stop playing more.

That said, I think this game is likely to score ~8 with critics - which, theoretically, means it's probably an 8.5ish game overall, which is rather fantastic for us old-school fans. An 8.5 old-school game is like a 9 or 9.5 regular game, using the common 7-10 range of scores.
I'll be surprised if the Metacritic critic avg ends up as low as 8, probably more like 8.5-9.0. Doubt it will exceed 9, because it's still a little bit on the buggy side (though nothing serious that I've run across), and because critics on most of the major sites don't "get" this type of game anyway - as you already implied.

The Metacritic user avg, 9.3, is the highest for any PC game (with a reasonable number of raters) released in the last 5 years or so - but you're right, it has to be taken with a grain of salt at this point.

In my own opinion, best RPG we've seen in 10+ years.

I've logged 133 hours so far ;-) … including alpha/beta + proper playthrough. I'm finding the second map/region less interesting than the first, but still enjoying it hugely. Some of the fights are pretty OTT though - playing on hard, which I'm not used to, but surviving (not without raging occasionally at the *%#@!!! who designed the encounters … and abusing my poor mouse ;-) For the boss fights I often have one of my party die and have to retreat and sneak back to raise them so we can come back when we're healthy. One good thing is that the raise dead spell allows you to raise them in a certain radius of their point of death - what a bonus! So far I have managed to avoid reloading mostly, and have just accepted the deaths of party members and decided to raise them when that happens to fight another day.

I liked the first few hours but I'm actually holding off on playing more for now.
For one i got a long vacation coming up and long games are best played in long stretches :D
And second Larian is patching the game too much for my liking, feels a bit like still in beta, I'd rather wait till the patch cycle slows down if i can.

It now has a score of 84 but it's only based on 4 reviews. I hope they do well when more reviews come in.

User score is 93 though. However, reading the negative user reviews makes me cringe. How about:
"This game is way TOO DIFFICULT and TOO SLOW with mediocre graphics.

It takes forever to walk from one place to another. You have to confront enemies that take 60%+ of your health with their first hit. Seriously, you'll spend half of your time loading the game because you died."

Here's a gamer who probably grew up on games that held his hand, scaled monsters to his his level and made sure he always knew where to go with quest arrows.

Last edited:
One of the current 4 reviews (the MMORPG.com one) was based entirely on Early Access - pretty dumb.

User score is 93 though. However, reading the negative user reviews makes me cringe. How about:
"This game is way TOO DIFFICULT and TOO SLOW with mediocre graphics.
There are plenty of thumb downs like that one on steam.
I wonder when will they learn just to write "the game is not retarded enough for me to play it".

Here's a gamer who probably grew up on games that held his hand, scaled monsters to his his level and made sure he always knew where to go with quest arrows.

While I'm fine with the no quest arrows (I actually love it), sometimes having a bit more information about quest related things would avoid misshape. I had to restart last night because I dropped something on the ground somewhere (because I couldn't sell it, I always try to have a very clean inventory), but it happened to be essential to advance a quest which happens to be a main quest which mean I couldn't finish the first area. I tried to go around it but didn't find a way, so I restarted.

I don't mind restarting, it allowed me to try new builds and characters that I was itching to try. Every time I play the game I end up going all "Hey, maybe if I had X I could do Y, I need to try that with a new character". I think I this point I might never finish the game, I will just make new characters after new characters...

Also, anyone complaining about the combat being difficult, err what? There was only three encounters I decided to reload, because I knew it was the wrong strategy, not because everyone was dead. It wasn't even a question of difficulty of the counter, I finished those fights without that much health lost once I applied a proper strategy.

Some of the encounters could be faster though, too many mobs in some encounters can drag a fight.

While I'm fine with the no quest arrows (I actually love it), sometimes having a bit more information about quest related things would avoid misshape. I had to restart last night because I dropped something on the ground somewhere (because I couldn't sell it, I always try to have a very clean inventory), but it happened to be essential to advance a quest which happens to be a main quest which mean I couldn't finish the first area. I tried to go around it but didn't find a way, so I restarted.

I agree with that. I want to know if it's a quest related item. Unless knowing that it's a quest related item somehow spoils the entire quest. And if that's the case maybe the quest should be designed differently?

I had to restart last night because I dropped something on the ground somewhere (because I couldn't sell it, I always try to have a very clean inventory), but it happened to be essential to advance a quest which happens to be a main quest which mean I couldn't finish the first area. I tried to go around it but didn't find a way, so I restarted.
That's another design choice I'm unhappy with. But it's not just quest items.

When you start the game and play a bit, that inventory they made feels spectacular.
Compared to EA's ME bullshit inventory or Bethesda's this-needs-to-be-heavily-modded inventory, Larian made we-know-what-you-want-and-here-it-is.

But then the general game design messed it.
You lead two main heroes and max two sidekicks. Each character has their own separate inventory which is indeed okay. But when I open someone's inventory with "I", why can't I change to another NPC's inventory by clicking just on character portrait? No, there are separate "arrows" on inventory screen and their usage is mandatory.
Keys? Why my hero can't unlock some door if a coresponding key is in another hero's inventory? Same goes to quest items, for example my hero can't talk about dead man's will to his wife unless it's in his inventory. Last but not least, it applies to gold too. My hero can't pay for a whore because he can't automatically take gold from another party member, instead I have to micromanage it.
I believe this could have been avoided in many ways. For example by keeping keys, quest items and gold outside of inventory - inside the journal.

Folded cloth displayed in inventory with "?" is a bug. Also I remember stealing "apprentice brainwash II" book in the second town but later spotted it's not in my inventory, perhaps another bug or I don't remember it correctly.

Perhaps I'm writing too much now, I should leave it for "finished" thread. But, as I've said, it's surprising betatesters didn't tell Larian these things can (and should) be improved.

There was only three encounters I decided to reload, because I knew it was the wrong strategy, not because everyone was dead. It wasn't even a question of difficulty of the counter, I finished those fights without that much health lost once I applied a proper strategy.
Wait till you meet some bosses. :D
I'm playing on normal and some I had to reload more than once because my whole party was gone. For Evelynn after a few reloads I gave up trying (didn't want to lower the difficulty on easy) and went back exploring more, getting more XP and buying some better skills/spells - she was a piece of cake later, obviously I was trying to deal with her too early. King Braccus is another nightmare fight, he's immune to almost everything, I've probably reloaded 10 times on him till I finally won without anyone dead.

Last edited:
I had to restart last night because I dropped something on the ground somewhere (because I couldn't sell it, I always try to have a very clean inventory), but it happened to be essential to advance a quest which happens to be a main quest which mean I couldn't finish the first area. I tried to go around it but didn't find a way, so I restarted.

Do items disappear after a time when you drop them, or was this simply a case of you not being able to remember where you dropped it?

Items don't disappear over time. Saved game keeps data on everything, even things you've moved on the map elsewhere will stay there till Doomsday.

And you should move barrels, boxes, even pillows. You never know what's hidden under them.

You lead two main heroes and max two sidekicks. Each character has their own separate inventory which is indeed okay. But when I open someone's inventory with "I", why can't I change to another NPC's inventory by clicking just on character portrait? No, there are separate "arrows" on inventory screen and their usage is mandatory.
It's different, for sure, but once you get used to it, I think it's actually quite elegant. You can have multiple inventory windows open simultaneously, if you didn't know - select one character, hit i, select another character, hit i, then drag the windows around as desired. A faster way to bring up a particular character's inventory is right-clicking their portrait, actually. You can even have multiple inventory windows open showing the inventory of the same character - if he has a really big inventory and you want to look at both the bottom and top of it simultaneously, to drag stuff around in a certain arrangement, it's pretty handy.

But back to how it's elegant. You can do things like this: open the inventory of your storage guy (the guy who picks up your loot), and the inventory of your loremaster at the same time. "Use" the ID glass from your loremaster's inventory window, then click on the item in your storage guy's inventory. Your loremaster will run over to the other guy and do the task. You can also pop open anyone else's inventory window, drag your newly-ID'ed item to their inventory, then mouseover it there to compare it to their current gear.

Another example: on your loremaster, put your ID glass onto your hotbar. Then in the future, to ID stuff: (1) select your loremaster character, (2) right-click on the portrait of anyone carrying stuff that needs to be ID'ed, push the hotbar button and then select the item. Loremaster will run over to the guy, same as above. Wouldn't be possible if your inventory window(s) only ever showed your active character.

My main complaint is the limited hotbar, and no keybinding for switching between the 3 hotbars each character has.

Your complaint about keys and gold and quest items and such is very legit, I'm guessing those things had to be done the way they are done because of co-op?

Do items disappear after a time when you drop them, or was this simply a case of you not being able to remember where you dropped it?

They don't seem to disappear, I don't remember where I dropped it and I think restarting will be the fastest approach over searching for it.

But then the general game design messed it.
Keys? Why my hero can't unlock some door if a coresponding key is in another hero's inventory? Same goes to quest items, for example my hero can't talk about dead man's will to his wife unless it's in his inventory. Last but not least, it applies to gold too. My hero can't pay for a whore because he can't automatically take gold from another party member, instead I have to micromanage it.
I believe this could have been avoided in many ways. For example by keeping keys, quest items and gold outside of inventory - inside the journal.

I don't mind having to use the right character. I just make one the "leader" with all the required gold/skills/items required for that role.

Also, you can open more then one inventory at the same time. Just click on the little button under the portrait (the left one). It's wonderful when you want to repair people's stuff...

Guys I didn't say I want only one inventory shown on screen, in fact I said they made a spectacular system.
I would just love to switch my last inv. screen by portraitclick instead of "arrows" or opening another one with rightclick.

I just make one the "leader" with all the required gold/skills/items required for that role.
My "leader" doesn't fit that role as it's strength 5 mage with no lockpick/pickpocket/sneak/barter skills. He's not a pack mule, doesn't rob houses and has no cash on him. And that whore in the second town looked so pretty… :(
Well, his loss. The cleric had the cash (and fun). :D

My "leader" doesn't fit that role as it's strength 5 mage with no lockpick/pickpocket/sneak/barter skills. He's not a pack mule, doesn't rob houses and has no cash on him. And that whore in the second town looked so pretty… :(
Well, his loss. The cleric had the cash (and fun). :D

My first leader was a 11 strength powerhouse (lvl 8) with no sneak (did put some points in lockpicking, but that's because there was nowhere else to put them in the party) and like 1 point in charisma. Full of cash too before I restarted.

My new leader is a pragmatic pyro-rogue that team up with a romantic know-it-all enchantress. The enchantress is not going to talk to people...ever.

Back
Top Bottom