Final Fantasy VII - Multiple Full-Sized Games

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Gamespot reports that Final Fantasy XIII will be used as the blueprint for the Final Fantasy VII remake(s).

The details were revealed in the latest issue of Game Informer, in which producer Yoshinori Kitase said the development team was using Final Fantasy XIII series, which encompassed a total of three games, as the model.

"This reimagined epic will be the next core Final Fantasy instalment--or rather, instalments," Game Informer's writer states. "When the project was first announced, people were confused by its multi-part nature, but the goal is to structure it more like Final Fantasy XIII than an episodic series."

Kitase adds: "It will essentially be a full scale game for each part of the multi-part series. In XIII, each instalment told the story from a different angle. It was kind of like approaching an unknown territory in a sense."

"Whereas with Final Fantasy VII Remake, we already have a preexisting story, so it wouldn't really make sense if that isn't encompassed in a multi-part series... So if we're just looking at each of these parts, one part should be on par with the scale of one Final Fantasy XIII game."

Continuing, the cover feature reiterates previous statements that Square Enix is taking some liberties with the story to modernise it.
More information.

Continuing, the cover feature reiterates previous statements that Square Enix is taking some liberties with the story to modernise it.
Let me guess, they're making it darker, grittier, and more epic.

I raged quit FF13 about 1/2 the way through with its nonsensical plotline, so i disapprove of this approach for FF7 by default. Fortunately I can just play the original and be satisfied.

I raged quit FF13 about 1/2 the way through with its nonsensical plotline, so i disapprove of this approach for FF7 by default. Fortunately I can just play the original and be satisfied.

See, it was unwise for them to mention FF13 because some people will get way off track with all the bad feelings toward FF13. Now I'm going to go off track and lament how few people played FF13-2, which is one of the best JRPGs ever made. They basically took all the criticism from FF13 and then created one of the most pure and polished JRPGs ever. FF13-2 is SO good. It's just so sad it is wedged between two kind of weird and questionable games in a trilogy.

My point? Play FF13-2! You don't need to play FF13 prior because the game recaps that story. Seriously, friends, FF13-2 is miraculously good!

Its sad that they take what was conceived of as a complete game and turn it into episodes. But they know its considered their best game, so they're seeing how they can milk it for all its worth.

I think it may depend on the scope of what they're making. If this is "three games" that cover the content of the PS1 original with little new beyond the graphics, I think fans will justifiably feel short changed.

However, Final Fantasy 7 actually covers a wide variety of games/properties - the main FF game, Dirge of Cerberus, Crisis Core, Before Crisis (phone), and Advent Children (if we take in movies as well). If they take content/story/events from the whole family of products, and make three games out of it, then I think we'll all be well served by the trilogy.

Is there a cultural disconnect between their Japanese audience and NA/Europe? Is FFXIII accepted over there such that it's natural they would make comparisons? Does this fit within the narrative that JRPG makers continuously misread their overseas audience as badly as XBox misreads Japan?

Is there a cultural disconnect between their Japanese audience and NA/Europe? Is FFXIII accepted over there such that it's natural they would make comparisons? Does this fit within the narrative that JRPG makers continuously misread their overseas audience as badly as XBox misreads Japan?

I think western audiences are obsessed with 'open world', while for Japanese RPGamers 'railroading' is just fine, what matters is telling the story.

I think western audiences are obsessed with 'open world', while for Japanese RPGamers 'railroading' is just fine, what matters is telling the story.
Yes Japanese gamers do prefer story over anything else in JRPGs. Anyway facts show every time a series tried to adopt a western influence it fails to sell well in Japan.

I also read a few interviews from developers who said they would only focus on the Japanese market due to poor sales. Just like how it was in the past on older consoles.

what's the appeal?

I played FF7 a few years ago so I could attempt to understand the appeal of JRPGs and maybe get into them. I finished it, but i didn't like at all. Plot was nonsensical, attempts at pathos and feeling were undermined by the cartoony graphics and awkward dialogue, didn't like the combat... but yet I normally like almost every RPG I play. If someone has time, what are the best elements of this game, in your opinion?

I played FF7 a few years ago so I could attempt to understand the appeal of JRPGs and maybe get into them. I finished it, but i didn't like at all. Plot was nonsensical, attempts at pathos and feeling were undermined by the cartoony graphics and awkward dialogue, didn't like the combat… but yet I normally like almost every RPG I play. If someone has time, what are the best elements of this game, in your opinion?

I'm guessing part of the problem was that you played a 19 year old game a few years ago. :)

I thought FF7 was decent for its time, but it hasn't really aged well imo. The plot was always nonsensical, but the graphics, music, and cinematics were considered really good in 1997.

I'm guessing part of the problem was that you played a 19 year old game a few years ago. :)

I thought FF7 was decent for its time, but it hasn't really aged well imo. The plot was always nonsensical, but the graphics, music, and cinematics were considered really good in 1997.

That could be it. I played Septerra Core close to the time of its release and didn't like it much, although I did like Anachronox mostly (but it had a lot more than just JRPG combat going for it). I would like to think that if I played Pool of Radiance right now, it would still hold up pretty well - other than the interface.

Back
Top Bottom