Steam Recommendations 2: The Machine Learns

Zloth

I smell a... wumpus!?
From the comments:

Smiling Spectre 32 minutes ago

Can we have this service for _bought_ games? :) See, I have 3K+ games, and have no idea anymore about a half of them. So recommender is somewhat off in first time (as most _really_ favorable games are already bought... somewhere...), and simultaneously not recommends games that I would definitely like - those I bought already.

Perhaps divert this person to recommended counsellors? Lol? Isn't this some kind of shopping addiction thing rather than game enthusiasm and hobbyism?

Steam is trying a new way to recommend games: machine learning.
What's the point of that?
You don't need AI to know who wants what. It's super easy to know based on just a few wishlist entries who cares only about mmos (dart) and who wants tons of hentai (me). :)

Recommendation systems are great. Just don't think machine learning models are neutral. They aren't and often are as biased as you and me. You also will get stuck in a bubble of the same games and never truly get recommended something new you would like. Similarly to the rpgwatch bubble :)

What's the point of that?
For many folks, this can be a pretty big deal. They aren't following the games industry all that closely so all they've got to guide them are trailers and their friends - who also aren't following all that closely. This system can guide them to games that don't have massive marketing budgets.

For folks like us that DO follow closely, it can still be of some use. Just going through the JSON object I got sent reminded me that I never looked much at Vampyr. With all the games showing up, it can be nice to have some backup.

(Plus it HAS to be better than the tag based system they've got now! ;)

P.S. Joxer, if you set the release date to within a year and the popularity slider over to hipst… <ahem> niche, you should see plenty of your hentai games.

Last edited:
Any AI would very likely recommend me the wrong games, considering how much ... extreme ... my taste in gaming is ... ;)

In related news - Steam now has another option under the ignore button to let you mark a game as having been played on "another platform." I presume buying the game in a box counts as another platform in Valve's eyes.

I just marked Half Life 1 as having been played on another platform, since I played the boxed version. It felt good. ;)

Back
Top Bottom