|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?

Default What games are you playing now?

October 4th, 2018, 15:53
When I see the tag "must be always online", I immediately start questioning how much I really want to play the game. And ninety-five percent of the time, I just opt out of the whole thing. I get that mass online games require you to be online, I won't accept a single player game that tries that nonsense on me.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

October 4th, 2018, 19:37
Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post
2. It's so easy it's almost stupid. I started on normal and noticed after a few hours that I hadn't once used a healing potion. You just click on things and everything blows up. Turned it up to hard but it's still not really a challenge. Is it worth starting over on nightmare or something? Maybe it's not meant to be a challenge? Is Diablo 3 the Candy Crush Saga of ARPGs?
In truth, that's how most games in that genre are. You normally have to invest a significant amount of time first before you get access to any kind of meaningful challenge. That's the primary reason I don't bother with most of them. That, and the fact that they're very simplistic in most ways.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
+1:

October 7th, 2018, 12:14
It's raining like hell here, another Max Payne run.
One of my favorites a whiiile back, but damn I like it even more today.
Really, what happened to TPS? Who thought it was more "fun" watching player behind a crate( or something) shooting enemy heads, one at a time, every fight taking up to minute or two: Uncharted, Tomb Raider, Gears, etc.
MP blows every modern standard TPS: nothing like throwing yourself, John Woo style, taking out five guys with just five bullets in a very narrow frame, never gets old. No Starship troopers here, you feel like an actual sharpshooter.
Plus the ambiance, the writing, music, best noire game to date, even voice acting is surprisingly good. Game is chock full of clever, memorable one liners.
Also you notice how much pacing is better: no collectibles, or any similar nonsense.
Game has aged incredibly well.

On the flipside, replayed Deus Ex not long ago. Kind of the opposite: outside of still outstanding level design, most is pretty poor/rough to get through.
--
Rush in and die, dogs…I was a man before I was a king.

BoboTheMighty

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

October 7th, 2018, 12:36
3. The always online thing bothers me. Why can't I be offline when I'm not playing coop or have I missed some sort of offline setting? I game on my train commute to work and pass several tunnels where I lose connection and the game drops me out to the start menu and I lose progress. Frustrating. I guess I'll only play it at home. Dumb.
It's essentially to allow them to fully control the game, to ensure the microtransactions can't be replaced with simple cheats. It's very hard to prevent cheats in single player games, unless you can exercise control through an always online system.
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
+1:

October 9th, 2018, 21:17
XCOM2 again. The "new" content added by the free DLC is cool.
No strategic layers at all, only pure tactic; wich is great.
--
How nice for you to meet me.

Winterfart

Passenger

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

October 10th, 2018, 09:55
Thanks for the reminder. I shoudl give this a go now that i've finished bards tale and am between games.

Originally Posted by Winterfart View Post
XCOM2 again. The "new" content added by the free DLC is cool.
No strategic layers at all, only pure tactic; wich is great.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

October 12th, 2018, 20:21
I play CS:GO, this game is very addictive. Right now I'm preparing for tournament at eSport platform here https://dreamteam.gg/csgo/players. I spend all my free time impoving my gaming skills. Hope my team will win this time.
Last edited by eva89; October 13th, 2018 at 12:02.

eva89

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

October 13th, 2018, 19:34
Vampyr - only for 2h so far, seems heavy on the atmosphere; fov is terrible though and the fix from the wiki doesnt work for me
--
Favorite Game: Gothic II
My steam profile

porcozaur

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

October 15th, 2018, 13:29
Is Diablo 3 the Candy Crush Saga of ARPGs?
OMG, yes!

After all this time I was trying to explain why I don't want to touch it to friends. This is the simplest and best definition possible.
Thanks!
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
+1:

October 15th, 2018, 15:39
I wanted to play something simple and addicting, so I dusted off Victor Vran and had a blast with the Motorhead expansion. Diablo who?

duerer

Sentinel

October 15th, 2018, 15:48
Originally Posted by BoboTheMighty View Post
Really, what happened to TPS?
Yeah, the 1st one was extremely good fun, despite its crazier ideas (auto-difficulty, etc, etc). Then, media darling Rockstar bought it and essentially killed the whole series with the seizure-inducing MP3.

duerer

Sentinel

October 15th, 2018, 16:17
I really enjoyed Victor Vran (never played the Motorhead expansion as it came out quite a bit after i finished the base game) - I think it was a bit under-rated but then again i haven't played it since…

Originally Posted by duerer View Post
I wanted to play something simple and addicting, so I dusted off Victor Vran and had a blast with the Motorhead expansion. Diablo who?

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

October 15th, 2018, 18:03
While I'm waiting for a few more patches to land for Pathfinder, I plan on firing up Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption today and checking that one out.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

October 16th, 2018, 10:10
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
OMG, yes!

After all this time I was trying to explain why I don't want to touch it to friends. This is the simplest and best definition possible.
Thanks!
Glad I could be of service

Lemonhead

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

October 17th, 2018, 03:22
Originally Posted by BoboTheMighty View Post
Really, what happened to TPS? Who thought it was more "fun" watching player behind a crate( or something) shooting enemy heads, one at a time, every fight taking up to minute or two: Uncharted, Tomb Raider, Gears, etc.
MP blows every modern standard TPS: nothing like throwing yourself, John Woo style, taking out five guys with just five bullets in a very narrow frame, never gets old. No Starship troopers here, you feel like an actual sharpshooter.
Plus the ambiance, the writing, music, best noire game to date, even voice acting is surprisingly good. Game is chock full of clever, memorable one liners.
Also you notice how much pacing is better: no collectibles, or any similar nonsense.
Game has aged incredibly well.

On the flipside, replayed Deus Ex not long ago. Kind of the opposite: outside of still outstanding level design, most is pretty poor/rough to get through.
Agreed on pretty much everything here. Deus Ex sucked to me to be honest, first time ever playing it recently and it was painful. Now granted I didn't make it past the Statue of Liberty first mission, but I was not enjoying myself. Max Payne on the other hand is still awesome. The level design was clever and great, too.

TheRealFluent

H.O.O. Inquisitor

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

October 17th, 2018, 04:20
I'm a fan of the first 2 Max Payne games, but there's nothing particularly special about the level design. They're linear shooters with a good story, strong atmosphere, and an excellent narration.

Deus Ex might be hard for some to appreciate if they're playing it for the first time. It's nearly 20 years old and hasn't aged well in some aspects. I recommend trying it with the GMDX mod which enhances a few things and modernizes it in some ways.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

October 17th, 2018, 15:44
I'm really digging the Hero U game, I'm up to day thirteen and having a blast trying to figure lots of stuff out. I can already see at least one replay in my future for this, those first couple of days I simply wasted too much time on just looking around and exploring when I could have been honing my craft.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

+1:

October 17th, 2018, 17:01
Originally Posted by TheRealFluent View Post
Now granted I didn't make it past the Statue of Liberty first mission, but I was not enjoying myself.
It's more a tutorial than a first mission, the interesting part start right after.
Give it another chance (with the essential GMDX mod JDR13 spoke about, it's pretty easy to install)!
--
How nice for you to meet me.

Winterfart

Passenger

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

October 17th, 2018, 21:14
I quite enjoyed Deus Ex myself. I've not played the Max Payne game, but I'm unused to hearing derision tossed at Deus Ex.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

October 18th, 2018, 17:59
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I'm a fan of the first 2 Max Payne games, but there's nothing particularly special about the level design. They're linear shooters with a good story, strong atmosphere, and an excellent narration.

Deus Ex might be hard for some to appreciate if they're playing it for the first time. It's nearly 20 years old and hasn't aged well in some aspects. I recommend trying it with the GMDX mod which enhances a few things and modernizes it in some ways.
I think what I liked about the Max Payne level design was the city itself. The apartments, rooftops, hotel lobbies, etc.. It was just enjoyable to explore for the atmosphere. But they were definitely linear.

Deus Ex just seemed, I dunno, bland to me. I thought I'd enjoy it more, but I have to give it another, better chance. I will try it again sometime with the mod you suggested. I did love Goldeneye when it came out and it reminded me in some ways of a more in-depth, less shooter-y version of that, so I'll take a peek at it another time.

TheRealFluent

H.O.O. Inquisitor

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?