Diablo 3 - Crowd Control Changes

Dhruin

SasqWatch
A recent blog post from Blizzard discusses further changes to Diablo III for the v1.05 patch:
Shortly after Diablo III launched, I remember watching Jay play his barbarian. He was having a blast, killing monsters left and right, but something was bothering him. He was annoyed because Ground Stomp -- one of his favorite abilities -- got worse as he progressed to higher difficulty levels, and that his character felt weaker despite having better gear and more stat points.
We all agreed that the game needed to get harder at higher difficulty levels, but Jay didn't like this particular way that it was getting harder. Specifically, he didn't like that we diminished crowd control (CC) effects. We had discussed CC effects many times during development, and we felt the system we had got the job done, but Jay felt we could do better.
Before release, we'd designed the game so that CC skills would have diminished durations at higher difficulties -- for example, most CC skills have their effectiveness reduced by 65% in Hell and Inferno. Jay has never been a fan of the way Ground Stomp and other CC skills become less powerful as a result of diminishing effects, but he also knew that a system to limit CC was required to add challenge at higher difficulties. While we've wanted to improve CC for some time now, we had bigger fish to fry first (like adding the Paragon System and improving Legendary items), so we made a note to revisit CC effects in a future patch.
More information.

a rambling diatribe on how they didnt really solve a problem that isnt a problem in the first place.

I bought this game at release and still haven't installed it. Is it ready to play yet? Or should I wait for a few more patches.

I bought this game at release and still haven't installed it. Is it ready to play yet? Or should I wait for a few more patches.

Balance fixes will probably have a very small impact on normal. Normal difficulty is too easy in my opinion and it just needs to be done before going to the more interesting difficulties. My complaint is just that, I would rather go directly to something more difficult. But if you are going to play the game nothing stops you from at least going through normal.

I think this game had more patches in a few months than Diablo 2 had in its lifetime.

These minor changes won't be visible on normal diff. and the game is so boring that there's no fun in replaying it anyway.

I think this game had more patches in a few months than Diablo 2 had in its lifetime.
Oh, c'mon. Exaggerate much? And why in the world would anyone complain that a company is patching their game too much? Seriously?

The game is completely playable, and has been since day one (overwhelmed servers aside). These are not serious bug or crash patches. They're mostly minor stability patches and some gameplay and UI tweaks.

Back
Top Bottom