Phoenix Point - Epic Games Store Announcement

I read the AMA on reddit…

Wow, people are really angry and a lot of them seem to think Gollop did it to spite the backers. I mean I understand being disappointed and upset, but some act is if they've been violated.

Yeah, they broke their promise to get extra funding from epic, but they offer either a refund, or you get the game on epic at release and the game a year later on your platform of choice. Isn't that a reasonable way of dealing with it?

I stopped browsing Reddit because of that. You really get the impression than some people just wake up in the morning with the intention of getting pissed at whatever.

The guy had some games canceled because of distributor/publisher just dropping the deal at the last moment. I can understand where he is coming from even if it does not entice me to install Epic. :)

The first thing that comes into your mind when talking about mod support is "mod monetization"? .

When talking about mod support, no.

When talking about the lack of mod support in opposition to a platform like Steam that tried to monetize mods on this site that howled about the prospect, absolutely.
First thing that popped up.

Context matters.

When talking about mod support, no.

When talking about the lack of mod support in opposition to a platform like Steam that tried to monetize mods on this site that howled about the prospect, absolutely.
First thing that popped up.

Context matters.

Yeah, context matters. Agreed. I just don't know why you'd think I was possibly referring to mod monetization when I was, instead, originally referring to the lack of a mod distribution system (see post #67 on this thread). Why you took this out of context, go figure! I never said/implied mod distribution systems should be monetized by anyone. What I want is a gaming platform that does mod support in a right way, because again, I prefer to have an option to mod my game to my liking. Steam Workshop isn't the more powerful mod-using tool around, but it is a beginning. No more than that. Now, enough repeating myself here.

I've yet to see any game cost more on Epic than it would have on Steam. In fact, Metro Exodus was actually $10 less on Epic.

I was thinking about pre-ordering Metro for steam, then they announced that it would only be available on Epic and the price went up immediately from where I normally purchase most of my games, I was not going to pay more.
I'm not about to start comparing all game prices between Steam and Epic, but I do think that its going to be a lot harder to get the deals I normally get with other sellers.

I was thinking about pre-ordering Metro for steam, then they announced that it would only be available on Epic and the price went up immediately from where I normally purchase most of my games, I was not going to pay more.
I'm not about to start comparing all game prices between Steam and Epic, but I do think that its going to be a lot harder to get the deals I normally get with other sellers.

We were talking about Steam vs Epic. What does some 3rd-party site where you buy your games from have to do with that?

We were talking about Steam vs Epic. What does some 3rd-party site where you buy your games from have to do with that?

Well, that's the point which was previously mentioned:

No 3rd party keys

Which means no circumventing taxes, or reselling keys in regions they were never intended for.
So a third party key reseller which resells steam keys can get them for cheap there.
But if they actually have to pay the full price, or even "worse" they actually have to have access to your account to buy the game for you, that makes it far less profitable for them.

So yeah...key resellers are a pretty good reason for publishers to chose epic over steam I guess.

No 3rd party keys is IMO positive - no 3rd party keys also means no scamming kids without plastic card who can't buy games online. Aka no steam card, origin card, bioware points and similar money laundry schemes.

Although I'd prefer to use steam this isn't a steam vs Epic issue for me. It's also not an 'exclusives' issue for me. I use origin, uplay, gog, etc and own consoles to play their exclusives.

My issue is simply the way their going about it. Yanking Metro off steam at the last second and now using a kickstarter to boost installs of their client, again at the last second just rubs me the wrong way.

Honestly I wish everyone would have refunded metro and this game and for them to never sell a copy on epic or when it releases on steam. I don't like the thought that they will get a nice sales boost at the 1 year mark. That would put a quick end to this nonsense. Since that obviously would never happen I'll do the only thing I can do and not support it myself. I won't buy it on epic or steam.

So yeah, I won't be supporting either game because I think what their doing is shitty. Especially the Kickstarter where people gave their money upfront. If they want exclusives , great. Then make a deal at the beginning and say it's an exclusive from the start.

A lot of misinformation getting thrown around here. It's obvious some of you have no idea what you're talking about.

Epic didn't remove any games off of Steam. It was the publisher's choice to sign an exclusivity agreement that would remove their game from Steam.

And for someone to say they want those games to fail now because they don't like that business decision is petty and ignorant.

Well a lot actually, I can pick up steam keys cheaper than Epic at the moment, whether that changes remains to be seen, but i'm not going to pay more for a game that was cheaper a couple of months ago, so I will wait until it comes down to that price or a price I think is acceptable.

Well a lot actually, I can pick up steam keys cheaper than Epic at the moment, whether that changes remains to be seen, but i'm not going to pay more for a game that was cheaper a couple of months ago, so I will wait until it comes down to that price or a price I think is acceptable.

What game was cheaper a couple of months ago? You mentioned Metro Exodus earlier, but that game was never available for cheaper as a Steam key at any site. I know because I had been anticipating it for quite awhile and was constantly looking for the cheapest pre-order.

What game was cheaper a couple of months ago? You mentioned Metro Exodus earlier, but that game was never available for cheaper as a Steam key at any site. I know because I had been anticipating it for quite awhile and was constantly looking for the cheapest pre-order.

There is actually one key-reseller who still has metro exodus in their shop for 25€. Just marked as unavailable now.

Not interested in PP since I got out of diapers ;) If Epic releases the next first-person single-player rpg with great graphics, I will install the client immediately. It's all about making something I want to play.

I seriously doubt it was ever actually available for that price.

Ofc not, but that's just how it works.

Game is supposed to be offered to 50€ on steam. In region X it's expected to cost just 50%.
So resellers plan to buy it for 25€ on region X and offer it to customers for 30€ as preorder.

Ofc not, but that's just how it works.

Game is supposed to be offered to 50€ on steam. In region X it's expected to cost just 50%. So resellers plan to buy it for 25€ on region X and offer it to customers for 30€ as preorder.

That never happened with Metro Exodus though. Remember, it was available for preorder for awhile before the Epic announcement. None of the preorder prices were that low. At least on legit sites.

Yes, it was Metro Exodus.

Back
Top Bottom