The Science Thread

My cat always made it quite clear when it was time for her to eat. So… ;)

Since when is hunger clock based?

Anyway, all the cats I had have been sun luminosity and sound based on their daily routines.

My cat always tried to catch my attention when I forgot the time, usually because I was playing a game.

I notice it too, hunger means: breakfast/lunch/dinner time. I always get hungry at a specific time, even when my schedule has changed, e.g. when I got up earlier than usual, and had breakfast earlier than usual, I still get hungry at the time I usually have my breakfast. Same for lunch and breakfast.
Very good clock, meaning I can tell the time with the precision of 15 minutes or half an hour max, unless my schedule has been changed again and again, then my body won’t give me a signal at a specific time anymore.

After seeing that image at work, I suggested black holes should be renamed radiant doughnuts.

Wednesday's xkcd belongs here.

m87_black_hole_size_comparison.png

pibbur who has found the second place he doesn't want to go to.

Strangely, massive black holes are much safer to visit than small ones. The dangerous gravitational tidal forces that can rip you apart occur inside the event horizon of super massive black holes, and it's relatively safe to approach and establish an orbit at a reasonable distance. You can do some "time travel" into future, too, by hanging around in the high gravity zone for a while.

Strangely, massive black holes are much safer to visit than small ones. The dangerous gravitational tidal forces that can rip you apart occur inside the event horizon of super massive black holes, and it's relatively safe to approach and establish an orbit at a reasonable distance. You can do some "time travel" into future, too, by hanging around in the high gravity zone for a while.

Good to know.

pibbur who at the moment considers 53.5 ± 1.63 million light years a reasonable distance.

Second? I assume Australia, but what about Komodo Island?

Hmmmm. There's also the eastern part of Norway.

pibbur who thinks it may be time to consider the list of places not to visit more closely.

We can all rest easy it seems as baby Cthulhu died millions of years ago.

Link - https://pressfrom.info/us/news/scie...lhu-fossil-that-will-give-you-nightmares.html

scientists-discover-ancient-cthulhu-fossil-that-will-give-you-nightmares__207721_.jpg

It’s a real-life version of one of the most feared monsters in horror fiction… only smaller. A lot smaller. On Wednesday, an international team of researchers unveiled the fossilized remains of an ancient relative of the sea cucumber. It had 45 tentacles and lurked at the bottom of the seas some 430 million years ago.

A new therapy for babies born with crippled immune systems. They collect some bone marrow, extract and edit the DNA, and then use a modified HIV virus as a delivery system. That's some clever stuff.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47969367

Ladies and gentleman I present the strangest looking crab that ever lived.

$

Link - https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/25/us/chimera-crab-fossil-trnd-scn/index.html
A new species of crab that scientists say is the "strangest crab that has ever lived" has been discovered in Colombia and the United States.

The prehistoric crab dates back to 95 million years ago and scientists say it defies all the normal crab features. The new species, named Callichimaera perplexa, has bent claws, big eyes with no sockets, an exposed tail and leg-like mouthparts.

Nothing beats the Tullymonstrum ! ;)
And Opabinia ! ;)
And Anomalocaris ! - Though, this one might have led to current crabs and spiders, I often think, when looking at the Euryptherus …

Edit : That new crab looks a bit like a frog to me …
Large eyes … only species with only few bits of light usually have that, like the deepest sea animals …

A PDF version of the article can be found here, apparingly : https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/5/4/eaav3875/tab-pdf

In the deep seas, they're most likely to be either swallowed whole or not much found - but rather not torn apart, I guess.
And eyes wouldn't have been interesting for predators anyway. Not much to chew upon.
Glasses, however, could have sold well there, I guess. ;)

Back
Top Bottom