RPGWatch Feature - Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Preview

Another satisfied customer ;)

You'll probably say I'm biased, but FWIW I know from discussion with purple and other Pathfinder fans that they are as concerned by the quality - if not more! than your lambda player. IMO it's an objective preview, and we're all aware that nobody can give a 100% guarantee on the quality at release anyway, the date hasn't even been confirmed.

Next update should give a good hint on whether they're still on track :)

It's all good, I don't think it's a bad review. In fact I think it's good and very informative!

It's just at this point I've heard and read all what is great about the game, and miss more the point of view of someone who is not honeymooning into the game to potentially save myself from another Wasteland 3 launch crash and burn. You're doing good in my opinion @purpleblob;, and apologies if my post was a bit apathetic in a generally positive thread. Keep it up, please, as you see everyone (including me) is reading your progress updates and gaining a lot of valuable information from them.

You can practically say your reports are what convincecd me to get the game at launch, bar it being too buggy in which case I'll still purchase it, at a bit later date. :)

I think what you're mentioning is sort of a built in problem of a volunteer run web site as opposed to a professional one. In general, we pay for the game keys we have from our own pockets, and review games we are probably sure to like or do like. I rarely ran a negative review, because I simply couldn't be bothered finishing a playthrough of a boring game, nor did I see any benefit of giving those kinds of games free press, so most of us who write for this site are covering games we like and think deserve some coverage.
There are some small indies who actually give us free keys, but I only ever accepted three, the first one I instantly regretted, because I actually felt necessary to playthrough a game I found pretty flawed and I found little enjoyment near the game's end. The other two I accepted were for Avadon 3 and Expedition:Vikings, and I enjoyed the other games in those series, so I was pretty sure I could play as much as was expected of me before reviewing or previewing them.

No one would want me to do a review of Skyrim or FO4 that's for sure lol.

But I won't repeat what Forgottenlor said as thats basically the case.

In general I try to get an idea of a game from comments and posts here - a general feel for a game, and since I am familiar with most posters here I know which ones share my interests and which ones don't, which also helps.

Anyhow in regards to the preview I enjoyed it and I know writing up these things take a lot of time so thank you for sharing it Purple!

I have played alpha and beta, not nearly as much as Purple however, and have enjoyed it. Heck my only real complaint is the wolf companion still being screwed up. All the other animal companions work fine except the wolf for some reason ... which of course is the one I want.

I think what you're mentioning is sort of a built in problem of a volunteer run web site as opposed to a professional one. In general, we pay for the game keys we have from our own pockets, and review games we are probably sure to like or do like. I rarely ran a negative review, because I simply couldn't be bothered finishing a playthrough of a boring game, nor did I see any benefit of giving those kinds of games free press, so most of us who write for this site are covering games we like and think deserve some coverage.
There are some small indies who actually give us free keys, but I only ever accepted three, the first one I instantly regretted, because I actually felt necessary to playthrough a game I found pretty flawed and I found little enjoyment near the game's end. The other two I accepted were for Avadon 3 and Expedition:Vikings, and I enjoyed the other games in those series, so I was pretty sure I could play as much as was expected of me before reviewing or previewing them.
Sometimes what you say makes sense :)

Thanks for the preview!

Still a while to go before it is finished, but if it lives up to being better in most ways than Kingmaker I'll be happy to play it.

I first played Kingmaker after all extra content and most patching was finished, so it wasn't very buggy (though quite "janky"). It was good for three quarters of the experience, but the last quarter was a bit of a drag. Hopefully this game will keep the experience good all the way through and the success of the former game allow them more time to polish it properly.

I thought the kingdom management part of Kingmaker was decent, although too disconnected and not very important for the rest of the game. This game's army management and fighting seems like it is much better integrated into a complete package. Sounds good to me.

I got an invite for a preview of the new 'advanced' beta and a Q&A, with a key that will be sent after the fact, on one of these dates and times:
- Tuesday April 27 : 10am PST/ 6pm BST
- Wednesday April 28 : 7am PST / 3pm BST

I can't make it, but if there are any volunteers who want to listen to them and ask them some questions, I will also direct the key to you.

I would expect some sort of report of it. It doesn't have to be long, we all know the game so whatever is new would be good enough and the answers to your questions. You can even toss in your opinion if you like.

Send me a PM if you are interested.

No one would want me to do a review of Skyrim or FO4 that's for sure lol.

Yeah, there's no way you wouldn't be biased towards Bethesda. They should ask me to do those instead, :biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom