Black Geyser - Updated UI

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
The UI for Black Geiser has been updated in order to make it more unique. A short glimpse of the changed UI has been made available.

The original user interface of Black Geyser was influenced by many cRPG's you've all played, and while feedback has been positive, in some cases it has been suggested it wasn't quite unique enough. We've taken that feedback on board, and re-worked our UI to not only make it more original, but a lot more functional.

649036557a9d3d676999366d2ea91558_original.png
An early look at our updated UI Some of the components such as the dialogue box have remained untouched, while other changes - such as central portraits and key action buttons - have been brought to the center.

Part of the reason for this is to not only focus the attention of the player, but to also ensure that important elements are within easy reach (such as Attack or Stop) and to generally tidy up the UI space.

This isn't about rewriting the rule book, but it is about ensuring that the play experience is as comfortable as possible for those who only use a mouse, hotkeys or both.

149d70ab260da16362bca4ee01da3487_original.png
At its core, Black Geyser is faithful to the genre, but we also want to ensure that we're carving our own path. Making small changes to the UI is just one of many ways we're doing things a little differently.
More information.

Did Obsidian Entertainment send them a cease and desists letter? :biggrin:

The game systems and content are almost complete, and just in need of a final polish - they said in 2019. :p That didn't age well.

But I'll be very happy if they actually release a decent game. Just unfortunate that many of us picked up the whiff of that bullshit at the time. And a bit silly, really - I don't think folks would have had a problem with knowing a KS was nowhere near complete.

The game systems and content are almost complete, and just in need of a final polish - they said in 2019. :p That didn't age well.
They said it was "almost finished" in early 2018 :lol:

https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1061498527&postcount=18

It just needed a little refining, balancing, and QA!

Also their Kickstarter from that same month (April 2018) essentially said the same thing, in addition to estimating a release date of August 2019:
The engine (a tailored, extended version of Unity) and the most important features of the game are already finished.

Most of the game content is also done (with placeholders where final game art or other required resource is missing). But there is still significant additional work necessary to make Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness a true, full-featured RPG. We need to complete the missing parts, refine and balance every aspect of the game, and do all the Quality Assurance.

The estimated release date of the game is August 2019.

With 3+ years of refining, balancing, and QA, this may end up being the most polished game in history.

With 3+ years of refining, balancing, and QA, this may end up being the most polished game in history.
Word!

I like the new GUI. I don't remember the old one.

Word!

I like the new GUI. I don't remember the old one.
Just imagine playing Pillars of Eternity it was very similar from playing the demo.:biggrin:

At least this game will come out... As a backer for realms beyond I fear that is never going to come out :(

If you Google "Black Geyser release date" it says August 2019 so I still don't know 100% this will ever be released. They apparently do have a (dodgy) publisher now, but they don't seem to be making any effort at setting milestones or communicating timelines. You would think that after 2 extra years from their anticipated release date they'd have everything nailed down and ready to go but that seems to be far from the case.

On Kickstarter, even professional developers seriously exagerate (or lie) how quickly they can deliver final product. In case of indie studios this effect is multiplied by lack of experience and inability to make proper forecast.

Unreasonable delivery forecasts are large part of reason why Im not putting money in unfinished products anymore.

If you Google "Black Geyser release date" it says August 2019 so I still don't know 100% this will ever be released.

2019? That's practically yesterday compared to some of the kickstarters I've got that I'm still getting updates for (and therefore haven't been flat-out cancelled)

Putting the obvious Star Citizen aside, there's SpaceVenture by the Two Guys from Andromeda (of Space Quest fame), which had an estimated release date of February 2013. You'd think it'd been abandoned, but they finally released the beta for it only a few months ago, so there's still a chance it'll be finished once they iron the bugs out of that.

The difference is that the Black Geyser guys said 3 years ago (starting even before the Kickstarter) that the game was "almost finished" and largely just needed "refining, balancing, and QA". Usually when you see those Kickstarter release estimates that end up being 2 or more years off, the Kickstarter happened near the start of development, not when the game was "almost finished". So, no, this really isn't typical.

2019? That's practically yesterday compared to some of the kickstarters I've got that I'm still getting updates for (and therefore haven't been flat-out cancelled)
Sui Generis says Hello!

Yep Sui Generis was mistake to back. The developer claims it's still in development but have move on to a smaller version of the game called Exanima in the same world.

It's an example of how not to make a game for the public but as a purist hobby. Now as for Exoplanet: First Contact it's looking like another mistake that I backed that as well.

I can also think of Arcadian Atlas. I was quite hyped for that game when it was about to be released… in 2016.

Currently still "releasing soon".

Back
Top Bottom