Cyberpunk 2077 - The only truly Punk Move is not to play @ NPR

images

The thing is, I play all types of games. I've played everything. If 2077 was the only game I'd ever played I might be blown away. But I feel like for every part of the whole other games have done it better. You could replace 2077 with half a dozen other games and the sum of the parts would be far greater than the whole of 2077.

Look, I haven't finished it. Not even close. But I'd be happy to give 2077 a review score of 75%. I was expecting a 90% game.

But I feel like for every part of the whole other games have done it better. You could replace 2077 with half a dozen other games and the sum of the parts would be far greater than the whole of 2077.

That's possibly one of the dumbest things I've seen anyone say in a long time. Yeah, if you're going to cherry pick the best part of each of a half dozen games of course it's going to be better. No single game is ever going to be better than all other games in all aspects.

That's possibly one of the dumbest things I've seen anyone say in a long time. Yeah, if you're going to cherry pick the best part of each of a half dozen games of course it's going to be better. No single game is ever going to be better than all other games in all aspects.

b-b-b-b-but… If you agree with it and it's obvious then why is it dumb?

I mean, CDPR has attempted to cherry pick the best parts of other games and incorporate them into a whole. They could have just made a racing game and focused entirely on the cars but they tried to do everything and have a sort of jack of all trades master of none situation.

If you have enough HDD space you could get yourself a car game, an FPS, an adventure, an RPG and you'd have more entertainment at higher quality than 2077. Then if you feel like driving a car you can do that. If you want to shoot stuff you can do that. If you suddenly want to play an RPG you could even do that.

It may be obvious but it's not dumb. It's objectively true.

If it managed to succeed in what it set out to do then you wouldn't need/be able to substitute it with a bunch of other games.

It doesn't really matter. I'm sure because it's such a big release it will still win RPGwatch game of the year if only because it's the game most people bothered to play.

You can make a million statements that are all objectively true yet do not contribute a valid argument to the discussion.

it will still win RPGwatch game of the year
Is there a problem with that? Would there be a problem if it didn't?
At least it will be nominated here unlike PCGamer's annual goty charade.

b-b-b-b-but... If you agree with it and it's obvious then why is it dumb?

It's your rationalization that's dumb. You're trying to convince yourself that it's some kind of failure because you can find other games that do certain aspects better. Using that logic, every game is a failure.

It's definitely my Game of the year as it was a weak year for RPGs.

Cyberpunk 2077
Wasteland 3
Assassin Creed Vanhalla

My top three this year. You'll notice Hades is nowhere on my list.

It's your rationalization that's dumb. You're trying to convince yourself that it's some kind of failure because you can find other games that do certain aspects better. Using that logic, every game is a failure.

Personally, it is some kind of failure to me. Now I'm just explaining why I think that is. I was hyped for years, counted down the days to launch, downloaded it…. So far, so good.

Then it crashes on launch. I try again, it crashes. Try again and it gets through character creation then crashes after 10 seconds. And again. So, I go update my video drivers and it doesn't crash, but it doesn't run great. It also just uses 50% GPU which irritates me. Then it was only a few seconds before I saw bugs with strippers in windows standing inside eachother, guns not appearing in my hand, etc. I go for a drive, hit a car and it goes flying for a mile. I run over someone and see cops instantly spawn in front of my eyes. I mean, even in GTA 1 there was some delay between when you commit a crime and when the cop CARS arrive.

Lots of games aren't failures, but, yeah, this game, for me, at least, is kind of trash. Yes, every aspect of the game is done better by another game. For example, Sekiro has better gameplay with blades. Maybe one of the Need for Speed games does cars better. Maybe GTAV does most things better. You look at the player count on Steam and watch the 2077 numbers fall. It's only been a week or so and its gone from over 1million peak to 300k peak. GTAV has been out since 2013 and its still peaking over 100k. Bet you 2077 doesn't have 100k in 7 years time.

Like, for 90 bucks you could totally get more entertainment from 90$ worth of Steam sales. Hell, just get the original Syndicate that I ran on a 1MB ram machine and you might have a better time than 2077. Get Shadowrun:Hong Kong. Get Deus Ex on sale for 5 bucks.

It's really not that dumb. :p

Like, for 90 bucks you could totally get more entertainment from 90$ worth of Steam sales. Hell, just get the original Syndicate that I ran on a 1MB ram machine and you might have a better time than 2077. Get Shadowrun:Hong Kong. Get Deus Ex on sale for 5 bucks.

It's really not that dumb. :p

You're not dumb, but this part kinda is. That's not how entertainment value works, at least not for me. Every game is its own discrete experience and I derive unique value from that experience. It doesn't matter if I can buy a bunch of other games that aggregate to a a greater entertainment value. I can't watch two 8/10 movies and say I've made a 9/10 movie pointless to watch because 8x2= 16 > 9. Cyberpunk is not quite what I hoped it would be. Buggier than I expected/hoped, obviously, but also not quite as impactful story wise. But there are moments in that story, characters, that were worth the price of admission, and no other game I have played, or could have played, would have given me exactly those same experiences. And those experiences are certainly not rendered valueless because driving is better in another game, or gunplay in another, or perks in yet another.

I don't think that CP2077 ever aspired to be a GTA clone, which many reviewers are using as a bench mark.

Regarding comparison GTA5 sales figures or daily player count to CP2077 is not valid due to the online element in GTA5 and wider audience of that genre.

You're not dumb, but this part kinda is. That's not how entertainment value works, at least not for me. Every game is its own discrete experience and I derive unique value from that experience. It doesn't matter if I can buy a bunch of other games that aggregate to a a greater entertainment value. I can't watch two 8/10 movies and say I've made a 9/10 movie pointless to watch because 8x2= 16 > 9. Cyberpunk is not quite what I hoped it would be. Buggier than I expected/hoped, obviously, but also not quite as impactful story wise. But there are moments in that story, characters, that were worth the price of admission, and no other game I have played, or could have played, would have given me exactly those same experiences. And those experiences are certainly not rendered valueless because driving is better in another game, or gunplay in another, or perks in yet another.

Yeah, watching two 8/10 movies wouldn't make it pointless to watch a 9/10 movie. 9/10 is a good movie! I wish I could find a 9/10 movie I haven't seen. Seems like everyone's doing TV shows, these days.

TV is sort of annoying because each episode always has that hook to make you watch the next one so you end up binging a whole season only to find the last episode has a hook for the next season and you could easily have just put the whole seasons story into a 2 hour movie. But, Netflix is a thing. They want hours of content. Quantity is the most important thing. Just how it is. Going to the cinema is mostly a family event where you take the kids to watch a superhero movie and buy a $100 popcorn so there's not really any market for the types of movies I like.

But, yeah, ummm…

I've played all these games which is why I know where each part is done better. That's why I said if it was the only game I'd ever played I might be blown away. It's not pointless to give 2077 a look. It's more like if someone was new to gaming and wanted a recommendation I'd say play everything else first and wait for sale on Cyberpunk 2077: Definitive Gold Directors Cut Edition. :)

I'd say play everything else first and wait for sale on Cyberpunk 2077: Definitive Gold Directors Cut Edition. :)

I'd only add to that: be careful what to include in that "everything", and when. Because releases like AC Valhalla would certainly also benefit from more waiting. ;)

I don't think that CP2077 ever aspired to be a GTA clone, which many reviewers are using as a bench mark.

Regarding comparison GTA5 sales figures or daily player count to CP2077 is not valid due to the online element in GTA5 and wider audience of that genre.
I read something somewhere that said they were originally going for a GTA game that was more focused on heists but the investors got really hyped about making it a Keanu Reeves story so they went with that.

Also, I think a multiplayer 2077 is still planned but it will be a stand alone product. I still don't think it has a chance of catching up to GTA Online because of all the expansions GTAO has had, plus the performance issues will limit the amount of players. Most kids parents don't wanna fork out $1500 AUD for a 3080 when they could just keep playing fortnite, minecraft, roblox, GTAO, etc for free.

Anyway, here's a bonus video for everyone that's worth it's runtime.

I'd only add to that: be careful what to include in that "everything", and when. Because releases like AC Valhalla would certainly also benefit from more waiting. ;)

I actually haven't played this one, yet. I haven't played a lot of Assassins Creed games, to be honest. Just the original and 2, I think. Not really a fan of the slotted combat system, but AC has been looking pretty different since Odyssey. Might need a new CPU for that one, though!

No kidding just wait for the GOTY or GOLD release with all released DLC.:nod:

Back
Top Bottom