Expeditions: Viking - Release Day

Really love it so far! I play on hard and the first fights were quite easy (lets see how that village raid goes...).

I play a dual-wielding dagger-maiden and it's fun so far. The riposte skill is really strong (doubles DR and gives you a counterattack, though you forfeit attacking in your round).

Great improvement on Conquistadors and a clear recommendation. The RPG options are incredible so far and seem to have some impact you can not forsee all the time!

Playing on insane though I haven't played far. But the village raid can already be quite challenging.
It can be frustrating when start fights, enemy has first turn and you basically stand next to them and get beaten down without having any option to take action (can happen in 3rd village fight, depending on the direction you come from)

But overall I think the fights are quite enjoyable so far. Not sure if they are better than conquistadors though. While they were "simpler" they also felt more "intuitive" to me and overall less frustrating when you start the game and don't know the mechanics yet.

GOG version is apparently releasing tomorrow. I used a week of vacation time next week specifically for this game.

There was a big article on this game in PC Gamer that never showed up on the website that gave me a good dose of hype.

P.S. 18 out of 18 reviews on Steam right now are positive. 100%! ;)

Of course all initial steam thumbs are positive! Who doesn't like vikings?

Besides, look at this quest step man, it's not to be or not to be, but hell I'm keeping it. Or not. :D

pic.jpg

The default is insane mode? So that explains why I've had to do some fights more than once, lol. I'll say this much for this game.....in two hours, I got my money's worth. Matter of fact, I think I owe them!

I'm not that far in, but it's not bad. About what you'd expect: You become the leader of the clan after your father's death. So far, I've knocked around some troublemakers in the clan and repelled a raid. There have been some decisions, and I've generally gone for stealthily sticking knives into guys and the like.

I've seen a few bugs, but nothing too major. Several missing portraits in dialogues and in combat. One skill had placeholder effects in the tooltip, so I couldn't tell what it actually did. My Powerful Kick ability isn't working. It says it needs Rebuke, which I have, but it never knocks anyone down like it's supposed to. I think that's everything I've seen in 6 hours.

I'm enjoying it. Good for anyone who likes tactical RPG combat with more narrative than, say, Battle Brothers. Not sandboxy like Battle Brothers, at least so far. Was surprised how much time I spent looking at all the skills and deciding what kind of character I would be, which is a good thing in my book.

Sounds pretty good. I'll be checking this out after a few months of patching and polish :)

I think I'll wait for the gog verison; sitll waiting for battle brothers on gog. I like steam auto-updates (galaxy doesn't work well) but gog is great for when I travel and want to use relative computer without installing steam.

GOG version is apparently releasing tomorrow. I used a week of vacation time next week specifically for this game.

Seeing the comments a perfect game has been released, impressive. That's because it's a poor indie dev making games for charity, so better be blinded on all crap?

Seeing the comments a perfect game has been released, impressive.
If you mean Expeditions2, then no, it's not perfect. Not sure what comments you're reading, who wrote it's perfect?

Weird, my main guy seems to flat out suck in combat, while the others in group excel. Not sure if that's by design or if the two handed axes just suck that badly. The archer and sword users seem to really rack up bigger damage compared to my main toon.

Weird, my main guy seems to flat out suck in combat, while the others in group excel. Not sure if that's by design or if the two handed axes just suck that badly. The archer and sword users seem to really rack up bigger damage compared to my main toon.

You mean "normal" attacks"?

Did you compare the skill? Skill contributes hugely to damage.
Also ofc compare the weapons. The sword from the DLC is quite strong (whether that's agood thing is up to debate)
Last but not least, the perks can make a huge difference. Like 50% more dmg on harried enemies (which seems somewhat out of balance)

I'm dual weilding axes and do rather well, if I do say so myself. The archer in the group does well, too, as does the spear maiden. But I do significantly better than the sword-and-board guy. I also spread out my atteibute points for access to skills. 8 in strength is highest, but I do have poison.

the perks can make a huge difference. Like 50% more dmg on harried enemies (which seems somewhat out of balance)
Earlygame on "normal" difficutly perhaps it's too much, but I've already had some highly challenging fights (wolves pack, last "dinner", etc).
I need to see if there is something that protects from stun - some trashmob groups operate on stun->aggro on the disabled->instakill strategy which basically destroys my party leader fast when ambushed. Sure, the witch can bring the leader back into the fight, but that's supposed to be a last resort not countering the very first turn.

Back
Top Bottom