A few remarks about spamming bots ...

Yup, I got this too. The link is a legit video, apparently, some peeps swimming dangerously close to the edge of a very high waterfall (Angel Falls?).

I wonder if this video was chosen randomly or with a message in mind ?
Kind of a warning before a hack or something ? (The people would be you; the fall or the water would be the forum, then ...)

If you logged into your gmail account, and you almost always are if you are surfing the net on your Android device, linking to YouTube to track people makes sense thanks to Google's new consolidated "privacy" policy.

If you logged into your gmail account, and you almost always are if you are surfing the net on your Android device, linking to YouTube to track people makes sense thanks to Google's new consolidated "privacy" policy.

I am actually, after a very long time with free services and Google as well, thinking of getting an e-mail address that I pay monthly for. Maybe the monthly payment would kind of make the service provider think twice before they intentionally make their services worse for the client (I just need a working e-mail with a few terabytes of space for messages and a junk mail filter, should not be so #&%¤ difficult!).

OTOH, this might only be wishful thinking, and such nice mail providers would probably be bought by Google anyway, if they proved to be too succesful.

Last edited:
Don't think we've gotten any of those yet, Alrik.

The big wave right now is putting up fake home pages. They set up a fake website (or sometimes a dummy account on a legit site that doesn't catch them) and list that forum user ID as their home page. The home page link appears legit, but if you click on it you find their "bio" is the spam. It's more time-consuming to police those since you've got to follow the link to see what's there, so most sites won't bother. Plus, they get a pageview just from mods checking them out, which makes their campaign appear more successful. Tricksy, they is, very tricksy.

Yes, they become more complicated every now and then.

It sometimes reminds me of Real Life viruses : They develop techniques to get avoided by the human anti-virus system, so to say. The T-cells and such.

Over time both get into a race , with both developing more and more complicated means of warfare.

Sometimes, the viruses or even parasites win. And then, the body comes to live with them, because they are no more able to disable the "invader", only to heal the symptoms.

Examples of such rather successful viruses is the Malria, and perhaps even the Toxoplasmosis : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxoplasmosis
Especially this here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxoplasmosis#Possible_link_to_psychiatric_disorders
And this : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxoplasmosis#Recent_Developments
It is a gruesome thought to think that these parasites are perhaps even able to steer us humans !

I believe that a similar thing might happen with crime ( = RL viruses, computer viruses, spammers) and human society, too.
Maybe this race is already on, since humanoty arose.

So, I come on the site and immediately notice some new poster tearing it up with a post on 20+ threads. Happens to be some bot advertising, in Polish, for lighting products (on an English/Australian gaming site, really?!?).

10 seconds later, all traces of the activity are gone. I love this site :)

We aim to please!! :) It appears a new wave of bots are at work, but we're on to them.

"Thank you" to the team for their work ! :)

Poor folks at Larian ! Their forums have just been massively invaded by spam since a few minutes ago ... I think that they should update their Forums Software soon ...

Where being infiltrated by spam-bots/paid advertisers lately everyone so please bear with it as I try to ban most of them, but they sometimes get through.

It amazes me how much time they spend doing this.:evil:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom