What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

You must have been damn near suicidal after seeing the prequels. :)

Well, I guess none wants to start the discussions we had in the TFA thread again. But I think they were a lot better than TFA, that does not mean I was not disappointed though, especially with the Phantom Menance. Just so you don't have to go through that horror of the thread, the summary as to why, is that at least they had something fresh both in terms of story and lore, they do have a whole lot of weaknesses too of course no denying that.

I wouldn't put it in remotely the same league of badness as TPM. This was just an ordinarily poor movie - TPM was absolutely jaw-dropping.

For me its the opposite. TPM has definitely been underwelming however TFA is on a completely uncontested level of trash… maybe down there with the new Ghostbusters

At least TPM had a story and one good saber battle at the very end.

Last edited:
Went to see Arrival yesterday. I really liked it. The trailer was a bit misleading, but I knew that beforehand. The movie's focus wasn't so much on "OMG! Aliens on Earth!", but more on Amy Adams' character and her experience as a human being.
At the heart of the movie lies a particular linguistic theory, although I'd have loved to see more actual translation work being done.

A meditative (read: relatively slow-moving), fascinating film made for thinking and reminiscing. In that light, very fine sci-fi.

Last edited:
I said it was the only thing that bothered me plot-wise not that it was the only plot hole in the entire movie. By all means, please feel free to name a space opera that doesn't have plot holes.

Easy. That would be...., ....... eh..... you know ... the.......

Rats! (not the movie).

pibbur who .... .... eh ..... you know .........

Saw Independence day: Resurgence yesterday.

Liked the visual effects.

pibbur who refuses to accept that the first movie is 20 years old.

Went to see Arrival yesterday. I really liked it. The trailer was a bit misleading, but I knew that beforehand. The movie's focus wasn't so much on "OMG! Aliens on Earth!", but more on Amy Adams' character and her experience as a human being.
At the heart of the movie lies a particular linguistic theory, although I'd have loved to see more actual translation work being done.

A meditative (read: relatively slow-moving), fascinating film made for thinking and reminiscing. In that light, very fine sci-fi.

Someone I was with gave the movie an F minus, so I guess it's not for everyone. ;)

It was certainly for me. Best film I've seen for ages.

Why you are a bad person for liking Home Alone.

That said its still a great movie.

Enjoyed Rogue One last night in 3D on an Imax screen.

Enjoyed Rogue One last night in 3D on an Imax screen.

I also watched it with my boys and enjoyed it very much. It doesn't seem possible that I watched the first movie almost 40 years ago. I told my kids that the theater we watched it in wasn't even built when the first one came out and I had watched it in a theater that closed twenty five years before they were born.
Time flies:)

Saw Rogue One too yesterday. I thought it was great. I'm loving this Star Wars revival. I have to say though:

I'm surprised by Disney's direction with the characters in this one. In a good way. It seemed more of a GRRMartin direction. I also found it really cool that the x-wing pilots that appeared near the end were taken from never-seen footage from the original Star Wars and digitally superimposed.

Saw Rogue One too yesterday. I thought it was great. I'm loving this Star Wars revival.

I'm going to have to agree. I enjoyed it and was semi-surprised at the end that

… they all die. :) Also, the Darth Vader scene at the end was kick-ass.

Loved Rogue One.

Went to see Rogue One on Thursday after both kids were home from college ... thoroughly enjoyed it.

You waited till they leave again then sneak out or? :p

Back
Top Bottom