RPGWatch - Game of the Year Awards 2018 - Best RPG

2018 was not my year. Only new release I played at all was Vigilantes. Virtually every other RPG I'm interested in was pushed back to this year.

*I'll probably like Hero-U, just haven't bought it because the launch price seemed high for something I wasn't extremely excited about.

Based on what I've read, I think I'd probably love Kingmaker if it were turn-based. Will probably get it eventually on sale.

Agree as 2019 looks to be the same. So unless Cyberpunk 2077 is released I don't see any big budget RPGs or hybrids except Anthem, and I wont even play Anthem.

I won't play Anthem, either, but I consider The Outer Worlds to be a big budget/major studio release, and that's the big one I'm looking forward to in 2019.

No way in heck I could have voted Pathfinder game of the year, seeing the state it was released in. I'm a bit surprised Hero-U finished so low, I expected that game to perform much better.

I like this result much better than the JRPG and ARPG fests we had some past years.

I gave first place to PoE II because it improved much from the first one and had to give a close second place to PF: KM because of its crap load of bugs at release.

Was disappointed to see P:K come in first as I do consider poor QC a critical fail on release. That just encourages the release of more bug-riddled messes. Not that PoE2 is completely perfect in that regard, but its strengths clearly put it at the top for me. Still, congratulations to Owl Games for the coup, and I hope they continue to push their game up to a high quality level.

I think the mediocre reviews on Steam and other media are a big enough wanring shot for Owlcat. A GOTY award could confirm them in their general direction. I'm sure they know that they didn't win a GOTY because of the technical state but despite it.

Funny how many people praise Arcanum despite how buggy it was and yet people criticise Kingmaker for buggy release despite the solid gameplay :) At least Owlcat is fixing the problems.

Does 39% for some other game except these three seem high?

The Bard's Tale Trilogy Remastered would have been my pick had it been a choice.

The Bard's Tale Trilogy Remastered would have been my pick had it been a choice.

What do you mean with 39%?

Edit: Ah you mean for all of the other games together...

I don't think it's a zero sum though, is it?

Meaning that if you vote for Pathfinder and KCD, and I vote for KCD and Pillars
Then 100% of us voted for KCD
and 50% voted on Pillars
and another 50% on Pathfinder

What do you mean with 39%?

Edit: Ah you mean for all of the other games together…
Yeah but all those other games games only got 1.5 % each of that 39%.
All other games scored a percentage of less than 1.5%.

And for the record, Pathfinder had 26% of the points, Pillars of Eternity II 20% and Kingdom Come Deliverance had 15%.
Last year was a little different.
All other games scored a percentage of less than 1.4%.

And for the record, DOS2 had 38% of the votes, ELEX 19% and Torment had 7%.

I think that's less or more what happens every year, except sometimes the #1 has even more % than the rest.

Most people play the popular release and few people buy more than a few games a year so most games in the list are unplayed by the majority.

No surprises?? Looks like some to me. Here's what we anticipated.
1 Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire
2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
3 The Bard's Tale IV
4 Kingdom Come: Deliverance
5 Underworld Ascendant
6 BattleTech
7 Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord
8 Vampyr
9 Phoenix Point
10 Avernum 3: Ruined World

What we got:
1 Pathfinder Kingmaker
2 Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire
3 Kingdom Come: Deliverance
4 Kenshi
5 Atom RPG
6 Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age
7 Vampyr
8 Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption
9 Ghost of a Tale
Bard's Tale choked a bit. Underworld choked a LOT. BattleTech got, ummm, reclassified. Kenshi and Atom came out of nowhere. DQ11 came out of somewhere most of us weren't looking. Still no sign of Mount & Blade 2.

It definitely was a great year for me! I don't know if it was the best ever (honestly, that would be really hard to compare) but it was plenty good.

I agree with those who've said it was a good year.

I'd be extremely happy with the year based just off the awesome games I've already played. And there are still several great looking games I have not even started yet!

Just a small website note: Shouldn't this news post be pinned to the top of the page for a while? It's already half buried the day it was posted

Just a small website note: Shouldn't this news post be pinned to the top of the page for a while? It's already half buried the day it was posted
It usually is but @Myrthos was probably busy & forgot to click the button.^^
Funny how many people praise Arcanum despite how buggy it was and yet people criticise Kingmaker for buggy release despite the solid gameplay :) At least Owlcat is fixing the problems.
Guilty as charged as I still praise Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines, and that game is still getting fixed by modders. Seems most cult classics are flawed in some way.

Heck I still love playing Alpha Protocol and most sites and players hated it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom