Wizards & Warriors - Released on GOG

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Wizards & Warriors has been released on GOG.

In an enchanted medieval realm known as the Gael Serran, an evil Pharaoh has overcome a curse and returned to wreak havoc. Only the legendary Mavin Sword--a blade forged of twin metals, one cursed by evil, the other blessed by the divine--has the strength to bring his defeat. With the assistance of Kerah, an angel, and Erathsmedor, a dragon, you must engage on a dangerous quest to uncover the legend of the Mavin Sword and bring an end to all evil in the land.

Can you uncover the mysteries of the Sword before terror reigns?

• Encounter over 100 NPCs, battle 350 characters and creatures, wield weapons and cast a myriad of magic spells.
  • Create a party of six adventurers and utilize 300 inventory items, including customizable pieces.
  • Embark on over 100 quests, mini-quests and adventures, battling in real-time and turn-based combat.
  • Discover the Enchanted Isle, Dragon's Den, Dwarven Mines, Liche Dungeon and over 40 other places to explore.
Thanks SpoonFULL!

More information.

I'm assuming because it's GOG its got all those patches pre-installed that made it a much smoother experience on Windows 7/10.

I'm assuming because it's GOG its got all those patches pre-installed that made it a much smoother experience on Windows 7/10.

Nope.
The town avis haven't been fixed (so, for example, there's a couple of locations in the first town you can't select), and the mouse lag problem hasn't been fixed. Both can be fixed by the user of course.
i.e. turn your mouse polling down for the latter (if possible).
Download the avi fix for the former here: http://www.jeffludwig.com/downloads/thank-you.php?tag=ww-townavi
(or reprocess the avis yourself)

Ugh. I forgot about that ugly mouse lag problem that can only be corrected with USB hardware mouse polling set to a lower value. Luckily my Cooler Master Havoc gaming mouse lets me do that easily enough with just a click or a push of a mouse button. I have a special SVN build of DOSBox for my HyperSpin setup that lets me use some superb VGA shaders but it too has an ugly laggy jumpy mouse cursor issue, but is also easily corrected by lowering my CM Havoc's default polling of 1000 down to 125. Tis a pity about those AVIs tho.

Wants to like this game but just didn't. It's OK

I really loved this game !

Despite it's sometimes imbalanced combat, it's a pure RPG gem, especially at the last 25 %.

There are some intelligent puzzles (especially the one in the pyramid), interesting character progression…

I don't understand D.W. Bradley who didn't create any game since this one, besides the letdown of Dungeon Lords.

Let's hope that GOG will fix whatever problems remain. For the first time in a thousand year, this pup gets a re-release.

Looking forward for other forgotten games like this one.

I have a love/hate relationship with this and Dungeon Lords.

Please let me know if problems are ever fixed :)

Addictive game!! Lots of unique, fresh, creative features. The only reason I didn't finish it, because I killed the dragon by shooting it repeatedly from behind a bunch of rocks. Then the game sorta lost its appeal with the giant monster slain. :]

I liked this quite a bit when I was doing my Let's Play of it. Didn't have any bugs or issues, but it requires thought in dungeons with the puzzles, etc.. Good game, good release on GOG.

This game is kinda kicking my butt. I don't remember it being so hard. Were the battles always in real time? I don't remember that.

I'm playing Bards Tale and Wizards and Warriors right now. What damn year is it? Who says you can't go back.

Huh I somehow missed this game at the time, as a fan of the Wizardry games that's quite an oversight!

Daniel.

I just remember how awful the bugs were with this game when it was released. I really didn't get that far into it. I tried, but it was just too buggy.

And I have a high threshold for this - I played through and beat Daggerfall around its original release!

This game is kinda kicking my butt. I don't remember it being so hard. Were the battles always in real time? I don't remember that.
I think you need to go into the options and adjust the slider that changes that. Then when you get into close combat it becomes turn based. Distance combat will still be real-time, though.

They should pull it till they iron out the worst of the bugs. There's no reason to buy a copy until they do that.

I installed GoG version on my notebook. Intel Corei5, AMD graphics card and Windows 8.1. No problems so far. Town AVIs fine, no mouse problems or black character graphics or unclickable objects. In short none of the problems I encountered in the past. It's perfectly playable. I'm going to try it also in my gaming PC. I think it has some problems with gaming mouses with high DPIs. Gog version uses Dgvoodoo2 for bypassing graphics problems.

Games starting to grow on me. I had to download the fan made patch where you can go into all the town buildings. I remember I could not finish the game when it first came out because of a bug that stopped my progress when I was 3/4 of the way through.

Doing first dungeon now in the cemetery. Finished a few of the fighter guild quests also.

Back
Top Bottom