Bard's Tale IV

One big complaint i ahve is that save points can be really far from each other. I've been playing over an hour now continously without finding a save point.

That's weird, I find them all over the place. I usually Consume them. Sometimes the stone remembers song makes one appear, too.

Mental damage or the skill to weaken their armor. I didn't have trouble with the guards - my rogue and mage killed them while my warrior took the damage. However those big grunt things I skilled - 300hp on them. Btw they are optional at this point (the guards); but i didn't like them telling me where to go.

Ah, optional, got it thanks. I can barely deal 12 damage to overcome their armor at this point. Might have missed some quests in Skara Brae?

Ah, optional, got it thanks. I can barely deal 12 damage to overcome their armor at this point. Might have missed some quests in Skara Brae?

There are one or two you could "miss" (although they actually might be in your quest list). But even then, you probably won't have missed that much to be noticable in terms of character progression.

There are one or two you could "miss" (although they actually might be in your quest list). But even then, you probably won't have missed that much to be noticable in terms of character progression.

A few of the quests I gathered were higher level, because when I went to the area the groups were impossible.

I wonder what quests weren't triggering that they were fixing in the patch. Anyone have any idea about those? I might head back to Skara Brae but I don't want to talk to everyone again.

I also don't know about non-triggering quests. I don't think you are supposed to clear Skara Brae completely before going to the Lowlands, there's several high-level stuff remaining.

Optional quests I did: (Names and minor spoilers only)
- A Stabbing Headache (In Skara Brae Below, group of cultists. This is where you get the Eye of Storm puzzle weapon. I think walking up on them is enough to trigger the quest.)
- Spells is what we sells (Pretty simple quest given by one guy in the old guild, upper level.)
- A snare of shadows (Not sure if this is really optional. Takes place in Mangars tower. I think this needs you to talk with Rabbie, about the "Snow in Summer" song.)

I also don't know about non-triggering quests. I don't think you are supposed to clear Skara Brae completely before going to the Lowlands, there's several high-level stuff remaining.

Optional quests I did: (Names and minor spoilers only)
- A Stabbing Headache (In Skara Brae Below, group of cultists. This is where you get the Eye of Storm puzzle weapon. I think walking up on them is enough to trigger the quest.)
- Spells is what we sells (Pretty simple quest given by one guy in the old guild, upper level.)
- A snare of shadows (Not sure if this is really optional. Takes place in Mangars tower. I think this needs you to talk with Rabbie, about the "Snow in Summer" song.)

Thanks. The Stabbing Headache one seemed to trigger a large group of impossible Paladins, but maybe I was in the wrong area.

Will do Snare of Shadows, too. I talked to Robbie and have the quest but didn't do it yet.

Are there Standing Stones nearby in the Lowlands I can activate? Maybe near Fiona's house?

Do you have the codes for the code wheel thingy. I have the pdf but not an easy way to make one right now - pity they don't provide a software version. Hum... i wonder how hard it would be to make one - probably a pain to transfer the printout to software.

Do you have the codes for the code wheel thingy. I have the pdf but not an easy way to make one right now - pity they don't provide a software version. Hum… i wonder how hard it would be to make one - probably a pain to transfer the printout to software.

Funny you mention that, I'm printing mine right now on photogloss paper. Will check it out, as it has something to do with the Elven offering shrines?

I just did Stabbing Headache and got the weapon. How do I go about solving the riddles? Not looking for spoilers but do I have to interact with the weapon in some way to get the riddles to trigger?

Do you have the codes for the code wheel thingy. I have the pdf but not an easy way to make one right now - pity they don't provide a software version. Hum… i wonder how hard it would be to make one - probably a pain to transfer the printout to software.

There is a software version someone posted on steam earlier. It's run in the browser, but you can also download an executable.

I tested it, and it worked. But that's not including any security checks. So no guarantees. If you compute explodes, it's not my fault. :p

@TheRealFluent;: Did you check my spoiler on the first page, about general hints on puzzles? Did that help? (Also, judging by the patch notes, I think that some puzzles may be bugged, at least pre-patch.)

@TheRealFluent;: Did you check my spoiler on the first page, about general hints on puzzles? Did that help? (Also, judging by the patch notes, I think that some puzzles may be bugged, at least pre-patch.)

Yep, got it, thanks!

So I have the code wheel now, what do I do with it? Do I refer to the manual or guidebook after figuring out the numbers? The numbers I found for one shrine are 69 and 78. Is that some sort of code for the item I need, or an amount of gold to donate or something?

If the numbers are correct, you can look them up in the Adventurers Celestial Almanac. It itentifies two items to offer.
Upper floor of the old guildhouse. It's in the quest item inventory, if you already collected it.
(So far, only figured out one of those offerings. Lack items for the rest.)

If the numbers are correct, you can look them up in the Adventurers Celestial Almanac. It itentifies two items to offer.
Upper floor of the old guildhouse. It's in the quest item inventory, if you already collected it.
(So far, only figured out one of those offerings. Lack items for the rest.)

Thanks! I ate all the cabbage, dang it. :p Is there a place to buy food somewhere?

And man, just completed Mangar's Tower. That place was like Willy Wonka's twisted funhouse, lol. Awesome dungeon.

Isn't there some NPC that sells whole stacks of cabbage in the Lowlands? :biggrin:

Isn't there some NPC that sells whole stacks of cabbage in the Lowlands? :biggrin:

Never wanted a cabbage so bad in my life. :D

Edit - Random musing. SureAI should make their "official" game in the Unreal Engine. Imagine exploring a huge, SureAI open-world with these graphics and details. Would be quite something IMO.

Does Great Swords: Novice 1 for a Thief mean that they need a greatsword equipped to deal Sundering Smash?

Also, have some general tips if anyone's interested. Soul Leech is an amazing skill, I'm hitting criticals with spells left and right and regaining spell points instantly with it.

I dont think any of the weapon skills really require you to use the corresponding weapon type. The only thing to consider is that some weapons add very useful bonuses to their respective weapon skills (like reducing opportunity cost, or adding an additional hits).

I was also thinking about adding greatsword to wringneck, armor sure is annoying in this game (and of course, it feels like every enemy can rend your own armor :S).

I dont think any of the weapon skills really require you to use the corresponding weapon type. The only thing to consider is that some weapons add very useful bonuses to their respective weapon skills (like reducing opportunity cost, or adding an additional hits).

I was also thinking about adding greatsword to wringneck, armor sure is annoying in this game (and of course, it feels like every enemy can rend your own armor :S).

Cool, I might get that Sundering Smash skill for my rogue. At least she could rend 6 armor of the enemy, which seems very helpful.

Is it open world? I'm having trouble finding an answer.

Not really, but there's plenty of room to explore. Someone compared it to Dark Souls exploration. New pathways open up, there's multiple routes in a fairly large level, etc..
________

Question - Are those elven shrines, the green ones, meant to be come back to later? Or are they puzzles you can solve right at the start? I've been seeing them but not doing anything with them thinking I didn't have the right stuff. Hoping I'm wrong and you can come back later, I passed about 5 of them so far.

I found a bunch of cabbages in the quary.

I found the cabbage dealer near Fiona's house. :D Just make sure to tell him you're not adventurers, he doesn't like those sort o' folk.

Back
Top Bottom