|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Default What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

September 16th, 2018, 20:35
Re-watched one of my favourite films, If….

Its depiction of English boarding school life was before my days, but, by the time I got there, not much had changed. Death to the prefects!
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)

September 16th, 2018, 23:10
Solo: a star wars story. I was pretty entertained throughout. Star wars is and was always a plain action movie to me, so the it doesn't feel like star wars mindset never held up (same for star trek basically).

Sure it is Disney, same action but safer. It is a bit strange to see star wars movies coming in quicker succession though.

ilm

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

September 17th, 2018, 08:20
I like action movies but I really thought solo was pretty darn bad. The old Indiana Jones were much better imho.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

September 17th, 2018, 08:45
ocean's eight 7/10 beautiful women everywhere so it was enjoyable
--
Favorite Game: Gothic II
My steam profile

porcozaur

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

September 18th, 2018, 16:13
Damn. I hoped it'll be less plastic. Skippin'.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)

September 18th, 2018, 23:40
Watched 'The Lathe Of Heaven' (1980 tv movie, not the later version!) again last night. Superb sci-fi film i thought and i am very hard to please!

rooroosta

Watchdog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

September 19th, 2018, 00:02
I watched "the later version". With Lisa Bonet.
It sux. Then again, I didn't know it's a remake otherwise wouldn't bother.

Will try to find the original.

EDIT:
Missed this:
Originally Posted by ilm View Post
Solo: a star wars story.
Cheers overrated star gets major role, laughable script, Emilia tries to save the day but with such pisspoor writing it just can't be done.
Waste of time and money, skip at all costs. If you can't skippit, get high prior to watching this abortion so you can endure it.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

September 19th, 2018, 00:16
loading…
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

September 19th, 2018, 00:47
Time for some asian winds, right?
Let's start with Korean cinema.
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Two films, separate stories, same duo:

Detective K: Secret of Virtuous Widow
(2011)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1832381/

Detective K: Secret of the Lost Island (2015)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4505170/

The first movie contains dogs. Both movies contain comedy.
And I laughed like crazy (not all the time, these are supposed to be crimesolving puzzlers!), not to mention that I admit without those dogs the first movie wouldn't be half as fun.

These are not masterpieces, but above average crimesolving comedies Hollywood seems forgot how to make (I mean I don't think Eddie Murphy died) and both deserve at least 7/10. As such are rare gems you should not skip.

Highly recommended for every occassion, even if it's only to cheer you up.
The third installment appeared and is okay, just not as fun as the first two:
Detective K: Secret of the Living Dead
Still, more humor than in Hollywood's comedies. So watch, the whole trilogy!

-------------------------------------------------------------

Another "franchise" got a new entry and made now another trilogy. It's chinese and it's not Detective K, but Detective Dee. All three are more or less wuxia, but the quality is sadly, not the same.

1. Detective Dee: Mystery of the Phantom Flame (2010) - a masterpiece completely misunderstood by western critics, mustwatch before you die.

2. Young Detective Dee: Rise of the Sea Dragon (2013) - completely misses points of the first movie, dumbs it down for mainstream low IQ consumers and the result is a watchable mediocrity. If you desperately need something exotic to watch, this one will do.

3. Detective Dee: The Four Heavenly Kings (2018) - nVidia hairworks and CGI on par with the best CGI I've ever seen which is also chinese movie, I posted about it before: Legend of the Demon Cat. But just as the latter, the script sucks, actors are not sure what are they even doing there, editors are amateurs who don't know what and where to cut nor which sequence goes before and which after. Avoid at all costs!
Do watch the trailer though to taste what another missed opportunity looks like:
loading…
--
Toka Koka
Last edited by joxer; September 19th, 2018 at 01:16.

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

September 21st, 2018, 21:07
Apparently there's some footage of Joaquin Phoenix as the Joker. I really the image of him without makeup. I'm not sure how I feel about the clown makeup. But I really like how he looks without makeup.

https://twitter.com/wbpictures/statu…021505/video/1

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

September 21st, 2018, 21:15
Originally Posted by danutz_plusplus View Post
Apparently there's some footage of Joaquin Phoenix as the Joker. I really the image of him without makeup. I'm not sure how I feel about the clown makeup. But I really like how he looks without makeup.

https://twitter.com/wbpictures/statu…021505/video/1
Heath Ledger played the best Joxer in the last twenty years in movies in my small humble internet opinion. As for video games Mark Hamill did the best voice and acting.

Heath Ledger

loading…

Mark Hamill

loading…

So Joaquin Phoenix has some pretty big shoes to fill.
--
"One Vision. One Purpose. Peace Through Power."

Check out my RPG News Thread usually updated daily.

Couchpotato

In the Name of Kane!

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

September 21st, 2018, 21:21
I'm up for seeing what Joaquin can do with it. Very interesting actor.

In the Heath Ledger version, I thought the makeup was brilliant, and the cut mouth smile was a great touch. When he first explains how he got disfigured, I thought it was to give some insight into his character's abusive past. But, then he goes on to give multiple explanations throughout the film. I thought that was a clever way to illustrate his nature.
--

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

September 21st, 2018, 23:27
The Last House on the Left. Brutal but well done.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

September 22nd, 2018, 03:20
Alice Through the Looking Glass is plain bullshit. The script was written by some preacher from Donald Trump's church it seems.
Unlike it's predecessor which didn't have the best script either but still worked thanks to Helena Bonham Carter's top performance*, this abomination sequel couldn't be saved by anyone. Must Disney ruin everything?

Forget it even exists.

--------------------------------------------------
loading…
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

September 22nd, 2018, 23:17
After I whined to friends about the "family values" miscarriage above, got a suggestion on a cure.

I did watch the first one back in the day and it was awsome. But would never expect that Bad Santa 2 is even better!
It's everything Disney isn't. Vulgar, profane, disgusting, insulting, describes people as they really are. And it spits on "family matters the most" crap.
With perfect performances from brilliant cast, this movie shows a middlefinger to modern Hollywood mediocrity, shallow politicians and moral police. Or should I say, to SJWs?
If only the finale wasn't screwed (you can't recuperate from a gunshot wound that fast) it'd be a masterpiece.

Nevertheless, it's one of those watch before you die works. Don't forget to watch it's prequel too!
Unless of course you adore the brainwashing Disney does. Without defiance, you should stay away from Bad Santa 2.
--
Toka Koka
Last edited by joxer; September 22nd, 2018 at 23:29.

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

September 23rd, 2018, 02:39
Alice Through the Looking Glass is plain bullshit. The script was written by some preacher from Donald Trump's church it seems.
Unlike it's predecessor which didn't have the best script either but still worked thanks to Helena Bonham Carter's top performance*, this abomination sequel couldn't be saved by anyone. Must Disney ruin everything?

Forget it even exists.

--------------------------------------------------
loading…
I can't wrap my head around how the first movie could be so good, and then they go on to make a sequel that almost everyone hated. Nice job Hollywood you clueless hacks.
After I whined to friends about the "family values" miscarriage above, got a suggestion on a cure.

I did watch the first one back in the day and it was awsome. But would never expect that Bad Santa 2 is even better!
It's everything Disney isn't. Vulgar, profane, disgusting, insulting, describes people as they really are. And it spits on "family matters the most" crap.
With perfect performances from brilliant cast, this movie shows a middlefinger to modern Hollywood mediocrity, shallow politicians and moral police. Or should I say, to SJWs?
If only the finale wasn't screwed (you can't recuperate from a gunshot wound that fast) it'd be a masterpiece.

Nevertheless, it's one of those watch before you die works. Don't forget to watch it's prequel too!
Unless of course you adore the brainwashing Disney does. Without defiance, you should stay away from Bad Santa 2.
Bad Santa 1&2 are holiday staples of my family.

loading…

loading…
--

Couchpotato

In the Name of Kane!

+1:

September 23rd, 2018, 14:11
I watched the Shape of Water last night, I thought it was really good. I was hoping for more back round information either during the film or at the end, but I guess that was pretty much left up to us to determine. The casting was superb, I could watch Richard Jenkins act inside a phone booth and be thoroughly entertained, to be quite honest.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

September 23rd, 2018, 21:11
Ah Captain Marvel you shall be known as the new Ghost-busters of 2018.

loading…

Happy watching for some truth and laughs.
--

Couchpotato

In the Name of Kane!

September 23rd, 2018, 23:18
I don't know how they'll mess this up. If they just tell the origin tale from the comics from the seventies, it will be excellent. Then have the next film featuring Danvers/Marvel to be the epic smack-down between her and Rogue, and you'll have a bona fide hit. Learn from the past errors of mucking things up, and do this right correctly, and all may be forgiven.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

September 23rd, 2018, 23:27
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
I don't know how they'll mess this up. If they just tell the origin tale from the comics from the seventies, it will be excellent. Then have the next film featuring Danvers/Marvel to be the epic smack-down between her and Rogue, and you'll have a bona fide hit. Learn from the past errors of mucking things up, and do this right correctly, and all may be forgiven.
True but like I said on the video I'm trying to like this movie but I just can't.

As Carol Denvers to me was Ms. Marvel & Warbird. Then someone decided to ruin her character, and make her the female version of Superman for a new generation.

Anyway yeah I expect most of the current hero's will be scrubbed away at one point after the next Avengers which leaves the door open for a new cast of hero's.

Just tone down the politics in interviews and and the press. See Disney learned their lesson when it tried to modernize Star Was for Women. It backfired spectacularly.

loading…

I haven't seen Kathleen Kennedy do one interview lately and half the films are shelved.

loading…

loading…
--

Last edited by Couchpotato; September 24th, 2018 at 03:18.

Couchpotato

In the Name of Kane!

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread