Bard's Tale IV

You will need others later. Or some of them.

Cogs, too. Hang on to those. My dumbness had me take the 2 I found and go back to that Skara Brae gate, only to a) realize I was still a cog short, and b) find a cave in the Ischriach Forest that needs cogs, too. :p So keep an eye out for those.

There's need for 3 more after that, just a heads up.

What I love most about this game is how you can craft your own playstyle and party composition. I'm probably going about combat completely different than you guys, figuring out what works for my group. I really like how tailored it seems to each player. They really nailed that in the systems department IMO.

So I completed Mangar's Tower awhile back but I didn't get the Shadow Snare. Where is it? The quest says completed but I'm pretty sure I missed an important item.

Follow the blood tail on the bridge in the second to last area (so not the one the bossfight is in.

Follow the blood tail on the bridge in the second to last area (so not the one the bossfight is in.

Damn. Will I need that item, or is it optional?

Edit - Went back and got it. Good gold and XP and the weapon is a beast. Good stuff. That was too easy to miss IMO.

Last edited:
Has anyone done the sentry tower yet ? If so how do you open the door by the second cog puzzle?

I couldn't figure it out and just left it. Probably just some loot back there anyway, nothing major I'd imagine.

Edit - BEWARE of the rooftop. I couldn't save in time and nearly lost the battle. Had one character with 4 HP left and won, lol.

I made a quick video showing a trick with the Practitioner's Soul Leech ability. Check it out if you're feeling bored and like watching a poor quality gaming video. :)

I've been watching some guy playing this game on youtube, he's around lvl 20 now, playing on hard and so far he died only once! Almost all encounters looks too easy, he just decimates his opponents without sweat. It seems that this constant trash mob fights and easy puzzles/traps is just for one meaning: to stretch game as long as possible.
Not sure if i ever going to play it - far too easy fights, many meaningless puzzles and traps and seems story is also same old "evil wizard wants to destroy this world"".:-(

Well I'm playing without any cheats or looking at any video and the combat can be difficult. I'm around level 15 and I just got level 3 master skills which gave me a lot more moves per turn (it was 4 now I have like 8); so things might get easier.

The game and puzzles are not easy. I mean, they are balanced as well as you'd want without the game being too easy or a frustrating hard one. IMO. I've had plenty of puzzles that were brain teasers. And not seeing much trash mobs unless you're revisiting a lower level area. I party wiped a few times and just had a fight I won the second wave by having one character with 4 HP and everyone else dead. Now if you expertly build your party that's a different story, but for those not powergaming the game is extremely well-balanced IMHO. And you can always turn it to Hard if you're a masochist.

As for the story, it's pretty fun and interesting. It's more about the charm of the world and the small stories and dialogue you encounter. The main story could be about an evil wizard but so many RPGs are. You have to read between the lines and enjoy the journey. At least that's how I view it.

Still busy in the sacred grove.

I am starting to get a little sick of Fairy Golf. :biggrin:

That guy seems far from powergaming anything, he just understood fighting mechanics i guess. About trash mobs, i see him run into fights almost every next step he make outside of friendly NPC hubs. I didn't said that every puzzle is easy, but there are many of that kind, like press brick on the wall and it opens the door - it is just game time stretch without any meaning, that door could be opened normal way, because nothing really changes except it takes some more seconds to click on "'super secret" brick.
On positive note I must add that this game somehow gives me Arx Fatalis vibes, the game I really liked back then, even with its poor and ugly graphics.

For every "push a brick to open a door", there are 10 or more "real" puzzles. I barely see anything that is as simple as pushing a brick. I'd like to see how quickly this guy got through the Sacred Grove or better yet, the Ghost Wood "death and decay" dungeon. This place is unreal in terms of puzzle difficulty. I'm almost at the point of looking up a walkthrough, it's super rough.

There are also not that many combat encounters period. And once you clear an area it's clear, generally speaking. The Lowlands had a few back-to-backs but that's it. Far less than exaggerating saying it's every other step.

I'd recommend playing the game for yourself and checking it out. One thing's for certain, anyone who says this game is either too easy or made for casuals is BUGGIN. This game is a serious RPG. For serious gamers. I can record some of this puzzle and upload it if you'd all like.

Still busy in the sacred grove.

I am starting to get a little sick of Fairy Golf. :biggrin:

I actually enjoyed the Fairy Shooing. :lol: What's bothering me is this electricity puzzle in the Ghost Wood dungeon. Whoo boy, talk about brain teasing. I'm teased right into looking up a walkthrough almost, this thing is ROUGH!

So far the only cheat i used was for the sentry tower; there is suppoe to be a book that explains what to do but i can't find it. Of course I probably have a *lot* to do. But after the 26 gig download for the 'patch' i might take a break.

No need, thanks, i already got it - it's the one of best games ever! And for serious gamers!:biggrin:

I didn't say it was one of the best ever. But overexaggerating like it's terrible isn't true either. Btw, I'm uploading a video of one of those "too easy" puzzles. If you have the solution without looking it up please let me know, because I'm rather stuck on it at the moment.

Here's the video. Looks pretty simple, eh? :)

Last edited:
By the way, if anyone's solved that puzzle and wants to help, please do. I'm stuck here until then. At least Kingmaker is on the way. :)

Back
Top Bottom