Baldur's Gate 3 - In Development ?

I swear you guys are like a broken record.

Let me repeat this again. I'm not the only buyer of these various unity RPGs having these problems. It doesn't matter if you have an SSD , hybrid, or an old fashion HD.

Your specs don't matter either as it affects a variety of different builds.

Last edited:
At this point I can't get too excited about this. The gaming world has (mostly) moved on. I'll wait for the reviews.

Let me repeat this again. I'm not the only buyer of these various unity RPGs having these problems. It doesn't matter if you have an SSD , hybrid, or an old fashion HD.

On my SSD I don't have long load times though. 7 seconds at max and that is the throne room one.

On my SSD I don't have long load times though. 7 seconds at max and that is the throne room one.
Again Broken record as I didn't ask about your load times. I asked what about the segment of players having long load times on various builds. It's just not me Fluent.

Sigh why bother. :disappointed:
I don't recall ever have super long load times with a Unity engine game, but it's still a mediocre engine imo.

Unity uses way too much resources for producing such average looking visuals.
Started to realize this in the last few years.

It's not a good Engine for traditional RPGs.

I'm a bit reluctant to necessarily assign blame to the underlying engine. I think it might be more to do with the fact Unity tends to be the choice of the low rent developers, and then we see a correlation with some ropey performance.

BG3 will be a mobile card game co-developed by EA and Bethesda.

There. One sentence and I managed to piss off almost everyone.

Not people expecting a game because that could mean the delivery of a game.

I can already hear people complaining about everything BG3 related. "The story sucks!" "The originals were better!" "y it not use 2e rules?!?!?!?!" "This is nothing like Baldur's Gate!" "Your crappy game doesn't deserve to have anything to do with Baldur's Gate!" "REEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

That said, I really hope it's got a good developer dedicated to making a game worthy of its predecessors. Some of the things I'd like to see:
  • Isometric camera
  • Accurately represented 5e ruleset
  • Turn-based
  • Modding
  • Lots of character customization options (races, classes, archetypes, feats, etc.)
  • Good selection of difficulty/gameplay options to customize
  • A game engine that isn't Unity
For now though, I'm keeping my expectations low. Less disappointment that way if the game sucks. XD

I can already hear people complaining about everything BG3 related. "The story sucks!" "The originals were better!" "y it not use 2e rules?!?!?!?!" "This is nothing like Baldur's Gate!" "Your crappy game doesn't deserve to have anything to do with Baldur's Gate!" "REEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

That said, I really hope it's got a good developer dedicated to making a game worthy of its predecessors. Some of the things I'd like to see:
  • Isometric camera
  • Accurately represented 5e ruleset
    [*]Turn-based
  • Modding
  • Lots of character customization options (races, classes, archetypes, feats, etc.)
  • Good selection of difficulty/gameplay options to customize
  • A game engine that isn't Unity
For now though, I'm keeping my expectations low. Less disappointment that way if the game sucks. XD

that does not make sense :)

Judging by every AAA game released in the last 15 years, I'm already guessing this will be a fair assessment. I'm surprised everyone's tacking "turn-based" on to their wishlist. Seems like there's always a crowd of people defending RTWP.

I'm a bit reluctant to necessarily assign blame to the underlying engine. I think it might be more to do with the fact Unity tends to be the choice of the low rent developers, and then we see a correlation with some ropey performance.

Unity is/was known for having constant high GPU utilization. I've seen it in every Unity game I've played including M&M X, Pillars of Eternity, and the Shadowrun games, so I don't think it has anything to do with budgets. Not sure if it's still happening with the latest version, but it was definitely an issue for awhile.

BG3 with a turn based combat system by the Divinity makers, would be an exciting prospect!

Keep that filthy turn based away from me preciousss....no stinking turn based for my baldur's gate! it huuuurts, keep it away from me!!

I'm curious, why don't people like the idea of BG3 being a turn-based game? Honestly, I think turn-based (kind of like in X-Com 2 where you have a couple different actions you can take on your turn instead of a number of action points that determine what you can do and how many times) would be a better fit, especially since it's based on Dungeons and Dragons and all the rules for determining stuff like actions, turn order, reactions, etc. are already laid out.

I would really like it to be turn based, but I just don't see that happening. Anything other than RTwP would get huge amounts of flak.

On the other hand, they made FO3 an "FPS" and got away with it. Not in my book though, but I'm hardly representative of the average consumer. Nor are most of the Watchers.

BG3: The perils of elemental hazards and exploding barrels by Larian.

I'm really happy they're making a BG3. Why wouldn't I be? It's the continuation of one of my favorite games ever. :D

If Larian does it, though... ugh. I donno. I have some problems with the Divinity series in general, I'm not as fond of it as some folk are. I got to the last chapter in D:OS2 and the difficulty ramp-up was just too difficult. I donno if I wasn't supposed to fight that Kraken but man...

High, high up in the mountains of the southwestern
I swear you guys are like a broken record.

Your specs don't matter either as it affects a variety of different builds.
Repeating that mantra is all well and good, and perhaps there's some truth to it, but the fact is, in this day & age, you really shouldn't expect good load times unless you're using an SSD. And you've already said you aren't. Fixing that situation is the first step and if you aren't even willing to take that first step, then you must not care that much anyway.

Yeah, once you get used to an SSD drive for gaming, there's no going back. I still use an external HD to store media, but there's no way I would install games on it. The difference is almost night and day.

It's also the primary reason load times are so much longer for the same games on PS4 and Xbox.

Repeating that mantra is all well and good, and perhaps there's some truth to it, but the fact is, in this day & age, you really shouldn't expect good load times unless you're using an SSD. And you've already said you aren't. Fixing that situation is the first step and if you aren't even willing to take that first step, then you must not care that much anyway.
Sorry but I have to call bullshit again here because most games have no problem with load times on a regular HD. It's just these resource hogging Unity games that do.

I can load up Witcher III, Kingdom Come, and Assassin Creed Odyssey fine. They also rarely have long load times based on my game-play of course.

Obliviously none of you know that I live on a fixed income due to being handicap.Sure I could buy a cheap 320 GB SD drive, but that's hardly enough for gaming.

I'm really getting tired of various members smug attitudes.

320GB is more than enough for gaming, in fact until very recently I used a 250GB SSD on my gaming system and never had a problem. Granted, I don't keep that many games installed at the same time, but I've also never seen a reason to. 250GB SATA SSDs are about $50, about the same price as a single game.

I don't doubt you that loading times are still fine on some games with an HDD (or "SSHD"), but many developers aren't gonna bother to attempt to optimize their load times for slow magnetic disks that really aren't used on any decent desktops/laptops anymore.

Back
Top Bottom