|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Bethesda Softworks - A Note to Our Fans

Default Bethesda Softworks - A Note to Our Fans

October 23rd, 2018, 00:51
Bethesda have posted a note to their fans on the eve of Fallout 76's beta releasing.

A Note to Our Fans

As a development studio, we’ve taken a lot of journeys. We’ve tried not to repeat ourselves, yet all our games have a similar DNA. In 2015, we decided to try something very new, and very scary for us – take one of our worlds and make it online only.

[…]
More information.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

October 23rd, 2018, 00:51
A Note to Our MMO Fans
Fixed it for Beth.

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)

October 23rd, 2018, 00:57
Is there some sort of sub-text to this letter or chattering by those who are into the Fallout franchise which I'm missing. I'm not sure what the point of that note is.
--
If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?

TheMadGamer

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
+1:

October 23rd, 2018, 01:07
It's propaganda to make them, the buyers, and company investors of Fallout 76 happy.

Also it's the same pep talk Tod said on stage when he revealed that Fallout 76 would be an online game. Should of seen that lukewarm audience it was hilarious.

Even so this will probably be successful as MP online is opium for the masses.
--
"That makes me angry, and when Dr. Evil Trump gets angry he trolls Twitter."

Check out my RPG News Thread usually updated daily.
Last edited by Couchpotato; October 23rd, 2018 at 01:19. Reason: Missed one word.

Couchpotato

Dr. Evil Trump

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

October 23rd, 2018, 01:27
Originally Posted by TheMadGamer View Post
Is there some sort of sub-text to this letter or chattering by those who are into the Fallout franchise which I'm missing. I'm not sure what the point of that note is.
There's a big brouhaha about Fallout 76. A vocal minority of people seem to think Bethesda is selling out by turning Fallout into an MMO. In reality, it's just a fresh side project experiment, and they'll still churn out everyone's beloved single player RPGs for as long there's a demand.
--

Caddy

Broken Screwdriver
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

October 23rd, 2018, 01:30
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
There's a big brouhaha about Fallout 76. A vocal minority of people seem to think Bethesda is selling out by turning Fallout into an MMO. In reality, it's just a fresh side project experiment, and they'll still churn out everyone's beloved single player RPGs for as long there's a demand.
Yep true but not pure SP games just look at Arkane Studios. As ZeniMax wants MP in most new games as the SP only games they published have not sold as much.
--
"That makes me angry, and when Dr. Evil Trump gets angry he trolls Twitter."

Check out my RPG News Thread usually updated daily.
Last edited by Couchpotato; October 23rd, 2018 at 01:56. Reason: Really hate Autocorrect

Couchpotato

Dr. Evil Trump

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
+1:

October 23rd, 2018, 02:54
Lol:

" we know we're opening everyone to new spectacular issues none of us have encountered".

Good thing they're finally admitting players are their Q&A.
--
Rush in and die, dogs…I was a man before I was a king.

BoboTheMighty

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

October 23rd, 2018, 03:20
Seems like a pretty typical note for beta testing to me. It IS strange that they just tweeted the thing out to "our fans" but it's just another variation on "its beta, there's lots of bugs, please help us work through them instead of just whining to your friends about them."
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

October 23rd, 2018, 03:49
A little odd this one. First off, I understand Bethesda did not develop ESO but it does not diverge from the point that one of their 'worlds' is already in mmo format. Secondly, this comes of as almost an excuse/justification for their own product which doesn't bode well for the final product. It is almost like a 'please go easy on us' just prior to Beta. I hope this doesn't end up being a watered-down Fallout experience and I think there is a big enough market for this game if executed correctly. I hope to be proven wrong on this one.

SkullScience

Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

October 23rd, 2018, 05:30
This is not unlike what Interplay wanted to with Fallout and expand the franchise into other game types. Fallout Tactics was the first example of this and then they followed up with the Brotherhoods of Steel.
--
Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

October 23rd, 2018, 08:21
Nice note. Still not interested in this. Wake me up when you do a decent single player game again (with a more interesting setting than either Oblivion or Skyrim)

JFarrell71

Watcher

October 23rd, 2018, 08:46
"Dear fans: We here at Bethseda hear you. We know we have upset and pissed off many of you with our decision to turn Fallout into just another generic multi-player online shooter. We did it out of greed, admittedly, and how can you blame us? Some of our top executives have yet to get their 3rd vacation home in a warm, tropical place.

Please know we will continue to ease you into the wonderful world of online microtransactions, and ongoing continuing content available for you to buy on a weekly basis. We plan on doing a lot more with multiplayer with our other future games. After all, we make the most money that way. Thanks for your support!"
--
To check out my games library, and see what recent games I'm playing, visit my steam profile! -- http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197982351404

Arkadia7

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

October 23rd, 2018, 09:11
Behind curtain #1
  • A beta for some soulless husk of a game bearing no resemblance to an RPG and wanting to exploit an IP for the sake of imitating the latest fad in multiplayer gaming.

Behind curtain #2
  • A beta for an actual RPG set in a world where choices matter and exploration entails more than simply going hut to hut and playing wack-a-mole with zombies.

Both releasing on the same day. Hmm, what a choice! This open letter shall most certainly be my deciding factor.

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

October 23rd, 2018, 11:37
Just Beth's attempt to get into "the games as service" band wagon. This game might be for some, just not for me. Not a fan of MP games and i can barely tolerate certain co-op games.

Trouble is: Beth's games were always bugged and the community patches. So now, as this is an online project they are asking the fans to pay for the "privilege" to help patching them. Not a fan of doing the job for a company that can afford a proper Q&A department.

wolfsrain

Sentinel

October 23rd, 2018, 14:38
Originally Posted by Arkadia7 View Post
"Dear fans: We here at Bethseda hear you. We know we have upset and pissed off many of you with our decision to turn Fallout into just another generic multi-player online shooter. We did it out of greed, admittedly, and how can you blame us? Some of our top executives have yet to get their 3rd vacation home in a warm, tropical place.

Please know we will continue to ease you into the wonderful world of online microtransactions, and ongoing continuing content available for you to buy on a weekly basis. We plan on doing a lot more with multiplayer with our other future games. After all, we make the most money that way. Thanks for your support!"
It's not only that.
They're persuiing a default strategy when it comes to conflicts. Normally in this scenario you have the customers paying money and publishers giving a product in return. If the product is (too) flawed, the customers rightfully go against the publisher.
What they are trying now with this note is to declare the evil bugs as a common enemy which the publisher and the consumer need to team up against. They just want to prevent shitstorms.
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw

Currently playing: Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Morrandir

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

October 23rd, 2018, 15:58
Fine, you are welcome to have your online game. Just don't expect to see me in it, I may return when you regain your senses.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
+1:

October 23rd, 2018, 17:27
I will likely play Fallout 76. I will play it solo and I will play it as a survival game, not a crpg since it isn't much of one anyway.
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut

crpgnut

Grumpy Role Player
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

October 23rd, 2018, 18:34
Lol, you guys a bit brutal when it comes to mentioning the dreaded MMO word . I understand that this is a MMO, but the Fallout setting is going to play a really fun roll in this idea. I will be playing with a small group of friends and we will be focusing on base building, crafting, exploring and helping other people. PVP isn't our thing, but the whole idea of a very scary unknown Wasteland is going to be a blast to experience!

ds77

Watcher

October 23rd, 2018, 18:56
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
Yet they are still following the recent MMO fashion … With MMO = DRM as the subtext

If even Bethesda is fpollowing that fashion, I'm convinced now that offline SP games are beginning to die out …

By the way, it's quite a while since they did their last true SP only game … apart from that grey-looking Skyrim …
--
“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

October 23rd, 2018, 19:38
Why West Virginia? Just a terrible setting for a game.

Ovenall

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Bethesda Softworks - A Note to Our Fans