Grimoire - Crowdfunding campaign at indiegogo

$250k for a game that has been feature-complete for the last few years… this is too ludicrous even for Cleve.

Ah, this explains everything. I can already guess how this will end:

Unrealistic goal isn't met -> game isn't released (yet Cleve keeps the kickstarter money) -> he keeps trolling for the next 10-or-so years

Someone should nuke the damn bunker and end this pathetic farce.

Yes, he should be killed for making a game. Logic.

Thanks for that Monday morning brainfart. Have you no clue about sarcasm? Please don't give the codex more fodder for thinking we are a bunch of stupid twits.

EDIT: beat by cacaro

Thanks for that Monday morning brainfart. Have you no clue about sarcasm? Please don't give the codex more fodder for thinking we are a bunch of stupid twits.

EDIT: beat by cacaro

Hah, no worries I'm sure you make them think that all ready. If they think for that matter.

I think $250,000 is a very reasonable target - especially by today's already established Kickstarter standards - and I also don't see anything wrong in principle with money being what ultimately motivates a person to finish a protracted project for which that initial enthusiasm is presumably long gone by now.

For what it's worth, aside from the purely technical aspects (sound quality etc.) the IndieGogo campaign video is by far the best Kickstarter-esque presentation I've seen so far. Blakemore's pitch perfect balance between silly hyperbole and self-deprecating humor is in an entirely different league than (for example) Wasteland 2's cringe-worthy and curiously ill-tempered satire of mainstream publishers, and the actual gameplay content shown is of course unmatched by all those campaigns for as-of-yet-developed games.

I have no idea whether it's realistic to get the game in its current state (whatever that actually is) to polished product in 6 months, but I'm definitely on board for the IndieGoGo campaign. That said, conventional pre-orders would have been vastly preferable to crowdfunding, which depends on exactly the kind of goodwill a guy like Cleve Blakemore is pathologically incapable of building up…

What I love with you Thrasher is that when I'm obviously making fun of a moronic comment from one of our black sheep cousins from the codex you fail to see that. Instead you want to point out I made a mistake. Let it go man.

As for the already, damn that auto correct on my ipad:p Your opinion means so much to me.

What I love with you Thrasher is that when I'm obviously making fun of a moronic comment from one of our black sheep cousins from the codex you fail to see that.
Replying to a moronic comment with an even more idiotic one, on the other hand, is a sign of cleverness. Oh, and:
I have another stalker, this is great:)
Looks like Cleve is not the only one whose ego is a bit inflated.
Your opinion means so much to me.

The feeling is mutual.

I think the end goal is just too high. Considering he can keep the funding even if the end goal is not met I can't help but think this is a little too smart on Cleve's behalf. If the goal is met then everyone is happy, if not he can say he tried but the demand just wasn't there and walk away with the achieved funding without any obligations to backers. It is a win-win either way.
No doubt I would gladly pay $100 for Trailblazer reward but not before I without a doubt can see this gets funded.

My thoughts exactly. The game looks just like my thing and I'd be willing to pay for higher tiers if the game is even close to being as fun as it looks, but the guy and the situation doesn't inspire enough confidence to just hand out money up front. This should have been on Kickstarter at least.

My guess? It's never going to come out. If it was ever going to be finished, it would have been finished by now. The problem doesn't appear to be the lack of funds but the maker's inability to bring the project to a close. It's rather questionable how much extra funding is going to help as inspiration, especially if the money is paid either way. It's a real pity too, what a waste of a promising game and a lot of work. 17 years down the drain.

If the goal is met then everyone is happy, if not he can say he tried but the demand just wasn't there and walk away with the achieved funding without any obligations to backers. It is a win-win either way.

I'm pretty sure that is forbidden by IndieGoGo. If you choose to have a flexible funding, you must deliver all the promised rewards, even if you reach only one percent of the sum.

How are they going to enforce that? He will already have all of the money. Do you really believe that IndieGoGo is going to sue him to make him deliver on his promises??!!

I'm not sure how I feel about the first boss being the black "lick." Given that it appears to be some sort of lich that would strike me as a bit unsanitary.

I don't see any reason he wouldn't deliver (it is mostly finished, after all) but there is no way Indiegogo will enforce anything beyond an angry email.

Anyway, nothing from me. I won't support Cleve and I won't support Indiegogo's "flexible" funding system.

Replying to a moronic comment with an even more idiotic one, on the other hand, is a sign of cleverness.

I have similar thoughts. More specifically it was a poorly executed and transparent backpedaling attempt to try to make a moronic comment look halfway smart yet failing horribly into a pit of pure buffoonery.

Man. If I made $250,000 on Frayed Knights: The Skull of S'makh-Daon, I'd be ecstatic.

Obviously I'm doing it wrong. Selling games doesn't work. Promising games to get crowdfunding - that's where the action's at...

I have similar thoughts. More specifically it was a poorly executed and transparent backpedaling attempt to try to make a moronic comment look halfway smart yet failing horribly into a pit of pure buffoonery.

OFFTOPIC and final note on this: You know, taking the time to troll everything I write must get tiring, and for the record completely off topic. But I guess when you get frothing at the mouth it is hard to be objective. I'm surprised you can get "thoughts" together.

Dhruin you made it pretty clear in your original post how you felt by what you bolded in the newspost. I'm not sure what cleve did to you, must have been something personal. I have played the game, Corwin let me see it. I think if it ever gets finished it will be quite good.

I didn't bold anything. If you mean the italics for Indiegogo's flexible funding, I think it's reasonable to point out that it works differently to Kickstarter - I know some people pledge to show support when a game clearly isn't going to be funded just to make a statement; this is different, because the money will go either way.

If I had a personal grudge, I could have not posted the news in the first place.

As for the game - I've seen it. I was in a "beta" a decade ago. It's OK for a very old-school, one-man effort but definitely not worth all the fuss. Admittedly, I'm not the greatest fan of 1st-person "blob" games.

Man. If I made $250,000 on Frayed Knights: The Skull of S'makh-Daon, I'd be ecstatic.

Obviously I'm doing it wrong. Selling games doesn't work. Promising games to get crowdfunding - that's where the action's at…

You absolutely should use Kickstarter to fund Frayed Knights 2. You already have street cred from the first game, and you seem to be a decent enough guy based on your posts and blog. I certainly would back your project. I'm sure that others feel the same way. However, for the love of God, please don't ask for $250,000. It's a preposterous amount.

As for the game - I've seen it. I was in a "beta" a decade ago. It's OK for a very old-school, one-man effort but definitely not worth all the fuss. Admittedly, I'm not the greatest fan of 1st-person "blob" games.

I'm inclined to agree with Dhruin about this one. Based on what I have seen of the videos, this game is hardly amazing. I'm certainly not going to begrudge the amount of work required to create such a game, but the base gameplay is quite primitive (like Crusaders of the Dark Savant). I've never been able to finish Crusaders, because it bores me to no end. The grinding mandate and tedious combat are annoying as hell. For some reason, though, I did enjoy Bane of the Cosmic Forge (I've finished it twice).

Wizardry 8 represents such a massive step up from this type of gameplay (in pretty much every conceivable way), that it is quite painful to regress. I would love to see a Kickstarter which is a spiritual successor to Wizardry 8.

Last edited:
Well, it was only a matter of time before masters of bullshit on the internets try to leverage crowd source funding for their own personal gain. Welcome to unregulated capitalism...

Back
Top Bottom