Siege of Dragonspear - Released

Baldur's Gate, the most overrated cRPG of all times. I replayed it (well, I tried) recently, and I finally found out why back in the day I was never too pleased with it. Because it is NOT a good game. And it is not just becuase of RTwP or the engine, Planescape used the same engine and even now I enjoy playing it. But Baldur's gate is just so boring….

For every great game, there's always those few weird people that don't like it for some reason. ;)

For every great game, there's always those few weird people that don't like it for some reason. ;)

Well, truth be told, the original Baldur's Gate game does get referred to as boring regularly enough for it to be understood as the most boring of the IE games, it was BG2 which set the world on fire. mbpopolano24 doesn't mention 2, so might only be referring to the first game, and likely only the first half of the first game if it has been uncompleted both times.

Much like sakichop's reply to mbpopolano24's post, whenever people just say Baldur's Gate and then go on to deliver very high praise, one's never sure if they actually mean just the first game or if they mean everything Baldur's Gate. Maybe mbpopolano24 also meant "including part 2" as well? Who knows.

I wasn't a fan of BG when it came out. I thought it was too clunky to play. You had to learn too many ways of doing things and the movement wasn't great. Besides, the game lacked focus. You are supposed to be figuring out who wants you killed but you end up enjoying the scenery.

But I loved IWD, so I gave BG another shot. I still liked IWD better. I'll buy this though.

Well, truth be told, the original Baldur's Gate game does get referred to as boring regularly enough for it to be understood as the most boring of the IE games, it was BG2 which set the world on fire. mbpopolano24 doesn't mention 2, so might only be referring to the first game, and likely only the first half of the first game if it has been uncompleted both times.

Depends on who you talk to. I know plenty of people who consider PS:T boring, although I personally don't think any of the IE games are boring. I've rarely ever heard someone say BG was boring though.

Last edited:
It doesn't fall into the nitpicky category for me as its a feel thing. Mind you I can understand if most can take it or leave it.

I'm still in skeptical boat, will wait for future Watcher reviews before making a decision for possible purchase :)

Depends on who you talk to. I know plenty of people who consider PS:T boring, although I personally don't think any of the IE games are boring. I've rarely ever heard someone say BG was boring though.

If you insist...

I've played hundreds and hundreds of crpgs and never completed either Baldur's Gate. I get bored around level 5 or 6 in the first game and never even got out of the 1st dungeon in the 2nd. I have made it to the city a few times in the first game. I love the combat, it's the blah blah that kills it for me.

3. Baldur's gate 1 - Uninspired boring combat, uninteresting story and characters

My personal bottom top 8 ...
[*]Baldur's Gate 1...
...If I didn't comment on a game, I just felt it was very, very boring.

BG1... but due to slow walking speed doing so is tedious and there are just 1 or 2 interesting things to encounter per map, which means most of the time it´s just walking around while nothing´s happening, low level campaigning is cool and all, except archery is totally overpowered and low level mages are boring as fuck, etc.

I can't rate BG2, because I never got far enough into it.

BG, playing exactly like BG 1998 and looking like PoE - would probably get around 6.5 from me, because I think the writing is bad - and I think 2nd Edition AD&D is a pretty boring system. The UI is annoying as hell in terms of inventory, stealth and stuff like that. There's too much filler combat - and it doesn't have the enhanced scripts of BG2 like the EE version does

I played Baldur's Gate 1 when it first came out. But I got bored about 2/3 of the way through and never finished. I still have the box and manual so maybe NOW its time to give it another go.

BG was über-boring.

It's still a great game but Baldur's Gate II was so much better as to make it unnecessary to even bother with BG1 if you've never played the series.

BG was to me stale and boring, with too many empty areas. I've replayed IE games at least a few times, but BG was an exception: when I tried to start another game, I couldn't even motivate myself out of Candlekeep.

I don't quote these as a case for my thoughts on BG1, I quote them because most are/were prolific users (not random trolls) and, once you dig a bit, you realise that, yes JDR, you are aware of these viewpoints and responded to practically all of them, in much the same vein. It's not that there's a matter of right or wrong here, but just a sense of awkwardness in your choice of words.

for the more rounded generalisation I made you only have to look at a poll couchpoato made:

http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=151

To which BG comes out last bar IWD2, IWD2's problems being more complex than general apathy. Beamdog themselves have a thread on their forum asking "Do you get bored at some point of the BG games?" which has people talking about this subject, quite happily as if it was a normal conversation.

But I do understand if you wish to attack anyone who suggests they've seen the word boring attached to Baldur's Gate 1 enough to understand why it's considered the most boring IE game (which is akin to asking which is the most boring Da Vinci artwork) because you're so used to doing it ;)

I wonder how many of these people found Bethesda games interesting... I bet most of them did even when Bethesda games have even more walking and even less content per hours spent in them.

I don't know what possessed PCWorld to employ this idiot, nor do I know what devil's pact coerced them into thinking more BG would be a bad idea. It's insanity.

But hopefully this is the last bit of content from this writer because Beamdog have done an incredible job.

He was being obviously sarcastic, I don't know how you missed the cue.
-
I just bought the DLC, and am gonna play as soon as I get back from work!

Yeah 5 and 6 CDs I think. I still remember the trailers for the Descent III and Planescape Torment that launched when you installed them.... Unless I'm getting confused in my old age and that was Icewind Dale. I lost my big box BGII during a move sadly, that was awesome packaging.

I can understand some folk finding BGI boring, but I love the ambiance of wandering around the maps finding stuff with the music playing away in the background. But I'm a sucker for D&D.

I tried to replay BG1 then BG2 with the many dozens of mods out there installed, but Durlag's Tower got boring and I lost my HDD so the whole thing drowned in the swamp. :)

I've got to say as much as Bg2 is the better game there is something about low level d&d that makes the game quite replayable for me. Maybe its the fact that each level is significant or maybe I just like exploring the gameworld but whatever I rarely find myself bored playing this game. Mind you my mind state when I play this is to relax and enjoy the experience and I'm not looking to rush things.

I think that is the problem for others when they play Bg1. :)

Low level AD&D does have a wonderful charm and brings back memories of the early Goldbox games for me. (Pool of Radiance especially) But for me BG1's main trump card over the sequel is the wider variety of party configurations the player has at their disposal.

I'm a sucker for experimentation with unusual parties for the banter for one and to also get out of the established habits for playing the game caused by solely using the canon or more or less "normal" party. (Two fighters, a mage, a cleric, a thief/bard etc) This keeps the experience relatively fresh for me each time I play.

Last edited:
I think I played through the old original at least 3 times, twice in it's original state and once with tons of mods. With "BG:EE" I have clocked 121 hours on steam, so all in all I think I've actually spent more hours with versions of BG than with BGII.

I started up a BG: SoD game with my last save from BG:EE, but I am having some second thoughts. Maybe a completely fresh party would be more interesting and it would be really fun to try the new "Shaman" class.

No mate, I haven't said one single negative word about Beamdog or the game, I can communicate fine, but you're off your head, welcome to my ignore list…

Oh noes. :'(

He was being obviously sarcastic, I don't know how you missed the cue.

I'd say not so much sarcastic as maybe ironic hyperbole. The intent was pretty clear though. It would be reasonable to think Beamdog would be making a small amount of content to bridge the games, and they delivered a full thirty hour expansion. It was far beyond the author's expectations. But I think every reader but one grokked that. ;)

Back
Top Bottom