The Deep Paths - Releasing on Steam Oct 14th

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@IndieRetroNews The Deep Paths: Labyrinth Of Andokost has been announced for release on Steam 14th October.

Warriors and Wizards get your weapons ready and health potions made, as a new Dungeon Crawler known as ' The Deep Paths Labyrinth of Andokost' is coming to Steam 14th October! If you loved those turn based classics such as Dungeon Master and Lands of Lore, of which this game is inspired by, then The Deep Paths developed by Steve Jarman is a game you might want to add to your wish list. Explore a vast labyrinth filled with dangerous creatures, and hidden treasures, to unravel an ancient mystery and deliver their city from harm's way.
More information.

Looks awesome!! They seem to have paid attention to certain details to make it feel more immersive. That's a vitally important aspect to this genre.

So how does this Grimrock clone differ?

I'm so glad we finally see something totally unique! A dungeon crawler, which has enemies and attack effects and we can do steps in cubical units, Oh My God, its so special this will be a block buster.

All these recent first-person-dungeon-crawlers like to namecheck Lands of Lore, but seem to forget that that game featured wildly varied locations - a castle, outdoor environs, a cave, huts/buildings, swamp, and so on. Locations were linked via the outdoor map, and encounters had animated scenes with characters/puzzles etc. Even Dungeon Master 2 had an outdoor area near the beginning.

The closest I've seen is Grimrock 2's overworld, but that lacked the "encounters" of LoL and characters etc.

To me, it is those things that elevated LoL above its Eye of the Beholder predecessors, and why LoL was so much better than EoB 3 (EoB 1, 2 and LoL were developed by Westwood Associates, EoB 3 was developed externally by SSI).

Back
Top Bottom