Elder Scrolls Online - Ask Us Anything: QuakeCon Live Gameplay

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
ZeniMax Online has a new Ask Us Anything topic about the live gameplay from QuakeCon.

Will there be an option to turn off the glow around enemies?

Yes, you will be able to turn it off. I will say that the glow is much more apparent when you’re watching than it is when you’re playing. It’s very effective at helping with target selection, and you may find it useful in some situations, but it’s up to you whether to enable it.

You said that my armor will degrade when I die. Can I repair it, or do I have to pay an NPC?
We have repair kits for repairs in the field, and you can visit an NPC to have all of your gear repaired.

I noticed the compass in the stream. Does it replace the mini-map or is it another option? If it does replace it, will it show more than points of interest, like guild and group members or enemies?

The compass will replace the mini-map. Actually, this is a good example of how we use information from our beta tests. When we had a mini-map, we noticed many testers felt like they should just follow quest markers, and they were less inclined to explore. This ran counter to our intent of being a game that emphasizes exploration. When we introduced the compass, players became much more likely to explore and less likely to just “follow the quests.”

As for putting group members on the compass, we’re trying to avoid having too much clutter on the compass. We do have in-world indicators for group members, though, which are proving to be very effective.
More information.

Last edited:
When we had a mini-map, we noticed many testers felt like they should just follow quest markers, and they were less inclined to explore. This ran counter to our intent of being a game that emphasizes exploration. When we introduced the compass, players became much more likely to explore and less likely to just “follow the quests.”
Now this is a pleasant surprise.
A thing or two like this and I'm playing that game, no matter it's MMO.

The more sandbox this game is the better. I don't want to run around just looking for quest givers. Let me find my adventure on my own.

Back
Top Bottom