Divinity 2 - Ego Draconis Unveiled?

It´s problemtic because it needs explanation.

Well, it needs explanation - so what ? Are you assuming that people have such a low amount of intelligence that they cannot imagine what it might mean ?

Are we now at the point that not only games but also titles need to be "dumbed down" for the masses ?

And what about "Planescape: Torment" ? Of course, most (A)D&D players know what a "planescape" might be ... Or "Drakensang" ? Even worse, because it doesn't even sound English ...

PS:T - didn't sell all that great. Drakensang - remains to be seen. Bet it doesn't do that great in the US (for various reasons). Your point?

Come on, Alrik. DivDiv is already laughed at regularly for the stupidity of the name - and I can even link you to forums where people claim to have avoided the game because of the name. If the game producers can't even create a name that makes sense, what chance is there for the quality of the in-game text?

I promise you that a good percentage of US previews will start off with some comment about how kooky DivDiv was as a name and that the new one isn't much better. Marketing is really, really important - do you really want a magazine preview to waste 2 or their 5 available paragraphs on the name, instead of the gameplay?

And then on the store shelf in EBGames...if Average Joe hasn't heard of it before, what chance they will pick up a sequel to an unknown game with a name they can't understand? And Dragon Age is sitting right next to it - by those cool RPG guys that did KotOR and Mass Effect. If I sent my nephew in to buy a game, I know what he'd come out with.

Granted, some lazy game "journalists" will sieze the opportunity to work off their word count quota by wasting time riffing on Larian's title adventures, but that would have been the case unless the title had been really, really simple, like "Monster Killer!".

That aside, I think you guys are stretching to characterize Ego Draconis as worse than Divine Divinity or even as bad. It's certainly more catchy and most gamers will have some notion of what it means, if not a full understanding, which I think works for it in generating a bit of mystery. It's no worse than Arcanum or Nox or Ultima or Dues Ex or...

I wounder if it means I am also allowed to tell what I know?? hehe better not.

I am sure Swen is involved in that title somehow, he likes thinks complicated, and a smart guy too.

Back
Top Bottom