Buying a new PC

I'm surprised Norway is so expensive. Here in Germany you can get a good gaming rig for 1000€.

I'm surprised Norway is so expensive. Here in Germany you can get a good gaming rig for 1000€.

1000€=8000-9000NOK. You can get a gaming PC for that 8000 NOK

-Intel Core™ 2 Duo E8400 vs. Core i7 920
-2GB Ram vs 6 GB
-GeForce GTS 250 video card vs Radeon HD4890
-Samsung DVD±RW burner vs Blue ray reader/DVD Burner
-500 TB Disk vs 1 TB

1000€=8000-9000NOK. You can get a gaming PC for that 8000 NOK

-Intel Core™ 2 Duo E8400 vs. Core i7 920
-2GB Ram vs 6 GB
-GeForce GTS 250 video card vs Radeon HD4890
-Samsung DVD±RW burner vs Blue ray reader/DVD Burner
-500 TB Disk vs 1 TB

Damn, that's expensive. And I thought our prices here were bad.

Acer Aspire M7720-92.S8N7A.D9P:
i7 920
GTX 285 (1GB)
12 GB DDR3
2*750 GB HDD
DVD-RW, etc.
Vista plus Windows 7 upgrade

1299€

Got it!

New PC is installed. Works like a dream so far.

Here it is:
CPU: Intel I7 920
GPU: XFX Radeon 4890 "xXx" (Hmmmmmm...)
RAM: 6Gb
Blueray player
HDD: 1 Tb+ an extra 1 Tb installed by me
Vista64, free upgrade to Win7

I set up all my machines according to a certain concept, determining names and other things such as wallpapers.

1. My old PC had a Sci Fi theme, so I called it Liar, from a general products spaceship in "Ringworld" by Larry Niven. The disk partitions were called "Canyon (C: )", "Down (D: )", "Kzin (K: )" and so on. Wallpaper: Space

2. My laptop - which I'l use for music production had a music/horror theme. I called it "Igor". Wallpaper: A mainly black Frankenstein image.

3. This machine is dedicated to the fine arts. I've called it "guernica", and the partions are called "Cezanne (C:)", "Dali (D: ), "Kolwitz (K: )", "Rothko(R: )"... Wallpaper "Two pieces of bread expressing a sentiment of love" by Dali (1940).

So far I haven't had any problems with the games I've installed: WoW, FEAR. DOOM 3, Tomb Raider Anniversary,Fallout 3 (I loved it when the game suggested Ultra High settings), Bards Tale 2. Installing LOTRO and Age of Conan now.

2 things I didn't like:
- They had installed Norton Internet Security
- They had set up one large C partition on Disk 0. Then I discovered: I can shrink (and enlarge) partition under Vista.

Keeping one partition for other OS'es such as Linux. Regarding Linux: Until now I've used Suse. But Ubunto seems to be very popular right now. Should I go for that in stead.

There is at least one lie in this post.

Yay!

Last edited:
Piece of shit software. It's more malware than the stuff it's suppose to protect you from.

Anyway... congrats with the ubermaskin.

I had it installed on a PC several years ago. Eventually it ate too much resources. It was a nightmare uninstalling it. So I promised myself: Never shall Norton visit my machines again.

Back in the 80's Norton meant high quality software. Norton utilities were a set of very useful programs. Alas....

Welcome to Oslo the most exspensive city in the world :p It is great for sweden though, norw. people travel like crazy to sweden to shop shop shop earning us billions every year! Thank you norwegians HEHE :p

Welcome to Oslo the most exspensive city in the world :p It is great for sweden though, norw. people travel like crazy to sweden to shop shop shop earning us billions every year! Thank you norwegians HEHE :p

And lots of swedes come to Norway to work. Which is also good.

But actually: It's our revenge for 1814-1905. :)

BTW (this may only be funny if you're norwegian): In 2005 we celebrated our 100 years independence. About the same time, the money saved in our "oil fund", was said to exceed the swedish national debt. So someone suggested that we should buy the swedish debt, and send debt collector after debt collector (in mafia mode) across the border! Yay!

But actually: Sweden is ok, and the dissolution of our union in 1905 went very well, thanks to the swedish government among others. There is a reason why we call you "söta bror" (sweet brother)

For awhile now i keep hearing bad comments on the Norton products; but recently the Norton Internet Security 2009 was highly recommended after several rounds of AV products test since early 2009.

link

For awhile now i keep hearing bad comments on the Norton products; but recently the Norton Internet Security 2009 was highly recommended after several rounds of AV products test since early 2009.

link

That's interesting. Thanks for that - I'll check it out. It's 90 days before I have to sign up for a subscription.

My experience of those 'recommendations' vary from month to month. Today a magazine tests and recommends Norton, next month another magazine does another set of tests and recommends Trend Micro, next month another recommends ZoneAlarm. I'm almost tempted to say 'the hell with it' no antivirus and just backup every week, and when I get a virus, just restore (specially since all I use my computer for is gaming)

FWIW, I got what should be a fun assignment at work, but it was actually REALLY tedious.

I was handed one of our workstations, and asked to investigate what a user has to do to get it infected with malware. It's part our information security monitoring.

It was actually way harder than I expected. I've been madly following links in spam, and ending up on one of exactly four sites -- two of them pimping v14gr4, and the other two, fake Rolexes. No malware to be found.

Then I started searching for por.... things I shouldn't be searching for. Still no drive-by downloads, only anatomy.

Eventually I managed to find some malware, and the virus blocker quite effectively stopped me from installing it, even when I clicked "Ignore" to everything.

The only way I could get the damn thing malware'd was by disabling e-mail, real-time, and scheduled scanning on the anti-virus thingy, and *then* installing the malware from the website, or an email attachment that had slipped through my ISP's filters.

It was *hard,* and I really had to go out of my way to be extremely stupid to get there.

what protections did the workstation have PJ ?? and which browser did you use?

Eventually I managed to find some malware, and the virus blocker quite effectively stopped me from installing it, even when I clicked "Ignore" to everything.

I guess you did not read this part?? :p

I'm assuming it didn't have any protections, seems that would defeat the purpose of what he was trying to do.

Nah, the workstation is configured according to company policy. The purpose of the exercise is to find out exactly how stupid you have to be to get it infected anyway.

you are quite well protected with latest SP and IE8 and f-secure, as long as someone would not direct an attack against your computer or you install/games/software/activeX which contain adware or similar.

Back
Top Bottom