Fallout 4 A must-have mod. Bethesda incompetence strikes again!

Drithius

Magic & Loss
For people with Fallout 4 still on their radar, the following mod is a must-have in any load order:

Boston FPS Fix - aka BostonDT PreVis-PreCombine

It basically redoes problematic mesh combines that Bethesda halfassed, causing performance in downtown Boston to be ridiculously poor. Deserves more publicity.

This mod is designed to make the Boston Downtown area load better. External areas only. Only the Creation Kit was used to remake the Precombines and Vis data, with occlusion planes added to the Church in cell TrinityTowerExt. NOTHING else was changed or removed.

Compatibility should be high with most most mods. If you find any area problematic let me know and I was get more details from you, if needed. So far performance​ increases​ have been 10-20 fps better than vanilla, with most players reporting avg of 50-60 fps in most areas.

Seems like a good mod, gonna have to download it and start playing again. I quit playing once I got to the institute and just had no clue what to do next.

You could also simply reduce shadow distance and get a huge performance boost in Boston without losing much at all.

I'm playing it right now, and while I didn't get any significant FPS drops, I did end up with insane load times in Boston. I looked it up, and it seems to be something Bethesda messed up in one of the major patches (1.3 or 1.4 or some such thing), so it's present pretty much regardless of hardware setup.

This little mod fixes it (mostly):
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/10283/?

It should be noted that it taxes the GPU very heavily. I have a 1080 GTX and it's practically whistling during load screens now.

I'm playing it right now, and while I didn't get any significant FPS drops, I did end up with insane load times in Boston. I looked it up, and it seems to be something Bethesda messed up in one of the major patches (1.3 or 1.4 or some such thing), so it's present pretty much regardless of hardware setup.

This little mod fixes it (mostly):
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/10283/?

It should be noted that it taxes the GPU very heavily. I have a 1080 GTX and it's practically whistling during load screens now.

Yes, I had the same experience with the loading times and almost gave it up. I eventually found a way to combine Reshade with that mod - and it's working great.

The game does slow down a LOT in certain areas in Boston if you're at Ultra shadow distance. It has to do with the complexity of meshes - and the amount of them. In general, the game doesn't really like when there are a ton of buildings with staircases and other complex structures that need to have realistic shadows on them.

Which is why setting shadow distance to medium helps a LOT.

Other than a few specific areas like that, the game is smooth as butter.

If you set bUseCombinedObjects=1 this can also cause slow downs as it disables the combined meshes. Some mods disable it for cleaning up settlements or in cases where they need to do mesh work in certain ways, like the Rustic Flora mod. Just something to keep in mind.

There was also a dynamic shadow mod but it hasn't kept up with all the engine changes and I stopped using it a while back - but it was slick when it did work.

Also a drawback to the OP mod post is:

"THE USE OF ANY INI SETTINGS THAT DISABLES VIS OR PRECOMBINED DATA WILL PREVENT MY MOD FROM WORKING."

Which can cause conflicts with a variety of mods - although load order can help somewhat.

Luckily I don't need it myself. I get some slowdown downtown but nothing to major unless I disable combined objects - if I do that I can go from 45-55 downtown to 15-20 a times. But overall downtown for me is in the 45 range. A lot depends on your game settings and mods of course.

Back
Top Bottom