The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

Some (more) music you may never have heard, never known even existed:

A Chinese Firedrill is a (one man?) band consisting of Joey Vera, who currently is the bassist of Fates Warning. The album came out in 2006, and is the only album release by ACF. Which is a shame!

And finally:

pibbur who ranks "The National Orchestra of the United Kingdom of Goats" (often abbreviated to UKOG) high on his personal list of weird band names

Last edited:
Saw Dream Theater in Oslo this weekend. The "Images and Words and Beyond" tour, celebrating the 25th anniversary of the "Images and Words" album, which many fans still regard as their best. I'm not one of them, my favourite is the harder and darker "Train of Thought".

This is one example of what we saw (and heard):

As I am is from "Train of Thought".

BTW: The Jaco Pastorius tribute was this one:

All in all, a great concert, perhaps one of the best DT gig I've attended - I think I've seen them 6 times.

pibbur who wishes mr. Pastorius was still with us.

PS: The band held 5 concerts in Norway this time. None of them in Bergen, my home town and the second biggest town in Norway. I'm not sure I can forgiven them, especially since they performed twice in "Trondheim", which is number 3. :( DS.

Found some Blackbird and Woodland bird song samples and added it into the music. I think it came out fine. :)

Jaco Pastorius was a true bass playing virtuoso and a renewer. Some say hs was the Jimi Hendrix of the bass guitar. He is also yet another musiscian tragedy, like so many others.

He was part of Weather Report from 1976 to 1981, released several albums as a solo artists and a band leader; and cooperated with several other artists, Joni Mitchell and Path Metheny, to name a few. His technique was unique. One of his "innovations was in the use of harmonics" (Wikipedia), which can be heard in several of the examples given here, as well as the "Portrait of Tracy" in my latest Dream Theater post.

EDIT: It seems that what we hear in this video is different from what we see.

His life was turbulent, alchohol, drug use, bipolar disorder and increasingly erratic even antisocial behaviour. He spent much of his last year living on the street after being evicted from his apartment in NY.

On September ''87 he was involved in a fight with the bouncer of a Florida nightclub, after being refused entry. He was hospitalized with numerous facial fractures, fell into a coma and died 10 days later, after a major cerebral hemorrhage. He was 35 years old.

So, a belated RIP to Jaco Pastorius.

pibbur who

Last edited:
Thanks Pibbur ... love Jaco. He was an amazing and tragic artist. I saw him perform live three times between 1981 and 1986. He was always a blast to see, incredibly innovative and energetic and engaging ... though the last time we saw him he also had guitarist Mike Stern in the band (who had basically been phased out of Miles Davis band for being unable to kick his drug habit a few years earlier), and the two of them were obviously pretty wasted. Stern got clean soon after Jaco died and has done pretty well since ... but Jaco was a train wreck looking to happen.

On this very day, 45 years ago, a british band released this:

Well, this is a shortened live version. The studio album, consisting of one song, two parts lasted 43 minutes, and was released 03/03-1972. If you haven't heard it, the whole album can be found and listened to here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zh-7mAIuMk (well, actually, it can be found and listend to there also if you've heard it).

Later Ian Anderson released a followup album. "Thick as a Brick2 (Whatever Happened to Gerald Bostock)" came in 2012. And in 2014 he released "Homo Erraticus", which is at least somewhat connected to TAAB. I have both of them, they're ok, but compared to the original…. so and so.

BTW: This was not the album that was rewarded the "Best Hard Rock/Heavy Metal" performance.

Here's the karaoke version

pibbur who can't decide which Tull album is his favourite, "Aqualung" or "Thick as a Brick", but he listens to the latter more often than the former.

Ha! I wonder how many of you remember this prog tune. Really takes me back. I had forgotten about it completely.

Billy Thorpe - Children of the Sun

And this one. Wow. lol!

Billy Thorpe - The Beginning

oh my. Rather outrageous and funny to hear. But still like it. Lots of fun change ups.

Billy Thorpe - 1991

The whole Children of the Sun rock opera playlist (except for the first track, which appears to be copyright protected in some areas). Pretty fun to hear again.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAEC15ABEACAA8407

Last edited:
Right now at this very moment, Gorilla Radio by Rage Against the Machine, got the glass in my windows vibing =p

And good one on Jane's Addiction, I was at that show =)

Back
Top Bottom