Fallout 3 - Mothership Zeta Interview

Dhruin

SasqWatch
A pretty general interview on Mothership Zeta at OXM:
So when and where does Zeta fit into the events of Fallout 3? How will players discover the Mothership?
As with the previous DLC, there will be a radio broadcast... this one is unintelligible, however, and will lead the player to the alien crash site they may have already found in Fallout 3. The player will then find themselves aboard Mothership Zeta, in Earth's orbit. Let's just say it won't be the friendliest of greetings. From there, they'll meet other abductees, and plot their escape. They'll have to explore and exploit the alien ship- and even spacewalk to escape!

We've already seen the Alien Blaster in Fallout 3 - will there be new technology for gamers to play with?
Most definitely. The player will have a handful of tasty alien technologies to play with. There are new fire arms and melee weapons, which will comprise the most powerful weaponry in the game.
More information.

Fallout in space? Not exactly thrilled about this idea. Just doesn't seem right like putting ketchup on your pecan pie.

All the Fallout purists are going to whine and complain that it isn't "Fallout"

I'm actually really looking forward to this one, it sounds like a lot of fun imho.

Hey I'm not exactly a purist. I don't even know what the plot to Van Buren was supposed to be.;) But still it seems wrong. If I want to play Mass Effect I'll load it up, if I want a post apocolyptic world I'll load up Fallout. Both are good, but mixed together leave a bad taste in your mouth. Like Ketchup on pecan pie or mustard covered ice cream:D

BTW I'm not saying it's going to be horrible, just wrong.

and Mike I could of gone my whole life without hearing that song and been a very happy man. But now I'm ruined for life ;) I know I'll have that song in my head tomorrow. I always have the lamest songs stuck in there.

I don't see how it is really different than the other DLC. Should be fun for a few hours, like the last few.

Broken Steel was decent and Point Lookout was enjoyable. If they do the same job in Mothership Zeta, I'm in.

Last edited:
Broken Sword was decent and Point Lookout was enjoyable. If they do the same job in Mothership Zeta, I'm in.

Broken Sword?

broken-sword-shadow-of-the-templars-the-directors-cut-20090305065616270_640w.jpg

Oh ... Broken Steel ;)

Duh...

I have been cleaning my apartment during the latest two weeks and went through and sorted my gamecollection which includes both Broken Sword 1 and 2. That's probably where that Freudian slip came from.

I don't even know what the plot to Van Buren was supposed to be

To be fair, Van Buren did intend the player to go on a little orbital excursion. One of the locations was an orbital weapons platform, so the "space" part isn't really what the most rabid purists will complain about. It's the "mars attacks" feel to it all. It is rather goofy sounding.

Duh...

I have been cleaning my apartment during the latest two weeks and went through and sorted my gamecollection which includes both Broken Sword 1 and 2. That's probably where that Freudian slip came from.

I'm just replaying the original on my Pocket PC PDA after playing the 'Director's Cut' on the DS ... so it is fresh in my mind.

I'm finally getting to The Pitt, which is OK but has a number of design/story lapses that bother me and it's not exactly roleplay-rich. I have no problem with Zeta per se, but I'd really like one great DLC with some genuinely interesting characters and good choices. That makes Zeta look like another wasted opportunity, in a sense.

I'm finally getting to The Pitt, which is OK but has a number of design/story lapses that bother me and it's not exactly roleplay-rich. I have no problem with Zeta per se, but I'd really like one great DLC with some genuinely interesting characters and good choices. That makes Zeta look like another wasted opportunity, in a sense.

The Pitt and Anchorage was the weaker expansions. Broken Steel is the first expansion worth it and Point Lookout is actually pretty good.

I don't think you need to be a fallout purist at all to see the incongruous and disconnective nature of this latest DLC.

The mere fact that the interview is more interested in hyping its weaponry and technology rather than concentrating on any actual roleplaying opportunities is a little sad, really, but not altogether unexpected considering the overpowering dominance of the FPS elements of the game.

I felt all of the previous DLC were fairly weak in dialogue and roleplaying. They never particularly felt like Fallout at all to me, especially Anchorage and Broken Steel which were essentially dull run and gun shooter fests. They do have a certain charm exploration wise however, which is something Bethesda excel at.

The morrowind dunmer voice over of the funnily crass Desmond character from Point Lookout expansion brought back a few nostalgic memories and although it was still quite short, I probably enjoyed exploring that DLC most of all.

As for Mothership Zeta though? /facepalm It doesn't take much rational thought to see how much this is a massive leap of faith away from not only fallout canon, but setting consistency as well.

Back
Top Bottom