Why replay?

I have several games that I have replayed fully more than two dozen times.

The reasons are pretty typical:
- Checking different builds or classes or alignments
- Comfort gaming
- Re-experiencing something I love
- Refreshing my memories

Another interesting thing I have found is something I discovered through reading: sometimes *I* have changed through the years, so how I interpret an experience also changes. Loving an old favorite game in a new way through fresh eyes is a wonderful experience.

When I like the setting and the overall mood / feeling, then I'm likely to re-play it.

With Drakensang 2 The River Of Time there is simply no other game with a similar mood/feeling/style/setting available, that's why it remains on my personal Eternal List. Together with Tropico 1, Zoo Tycoon 1, Commander Keen 4 & 5 and maybe King's Bounty The Legend as well.

To me, these are games standing out from the mass because they are slow, relaxed games with a unique feeling/mood to me, so much that I like to dive into them again.

No adrenaline-fulled game could accomplish this.

I take it you mean crpg games? Because no explanation is needed replaying games like HoMM3, Civilizations, Eador, and MoM.

Again thank you all, an interesting discussion for me. So, many different reasons and several of the same for replaying and changes in replay behaviour.

Some personal observations:
(1) Replaying for 100% or particular achievements is something I do for some games, but it had slipped my mind.
(2) The observation that more games now so less time/need to replay is evident in hindsight but still interesting.
(3) It is obvious, but I hadn't thought before asking about replaying to explore/use particular mods and builds. For builds, I tend to have a default long range weapon some magic/biotics for everything, and I very rarely use mods. The less than positive interactions etc. always have put me off, even with mod managers etc.
(4) The discussions do motivate me to have another look at my backlog and also previously played games, not sure if anything will change but still ...

So, again, thank you all, Hurls

For us growing old, the main reason is of course that we forget what we've played.

pibbur who yesterday resaw a movie which turned out to be something else than what he thought.

PS: I probably don't remember if someone has already posted something like this. DS.

It's even better if we still don't remember when actually playing. Saves a lot of money. Never have to buy another game again. Or….

pibbur who aknowledges the risk of not only replaying, but rebuying games.

Back
Top Bottom