Witcher 3 - Gwent Update in 1.20

Aubrielle

Noveliste
Hey, Gwent fans. Update 1.20 for The Witcher 3 will include an item that tells you which cards you're missing...and where you can find them. You can't put a price on something like that. Other fixes and additions are included.

CD Projekt has released the patch notes for the coming 1.20 update to The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, which makes a number of improvements and fixes to the game, including one that will be a big boon for Gwent card collectors: A new book called “A Miraculous Guide to Gwent,” which displays the number of cards missing form your base-game deck, and information on where to get them. New players can get the book from the Gwent scholar in the prologue, while those of you already deep into the action can pick it up from the merchant near St. Gregory's Bridge in the Gildorf district of Novigrad.

Other big changes include the addition of optional enemy “upscaling,” which will make low-level enemies more challenging (but won't affect experience points, loot, or quest rewards), and an increase in the incidence of certain monster-based ingredients required for high-level alchemy. The inventory and journal have been improved to make them easier to use, automatic drawing and sheathing of swords can be disabled, and—this is a big one—there will be a fix for a bug "whereby Geralt's clothing was not properly restored after sex scenes.”

Oh, Geralt.

There are quite a lot of other fixes and tweaks, most of them for the base game but some specific to the Hearts of Stone expansion. A rollout date wasn't announced, but CD Projekt Community Lead Marcin Momot said on Twitter that it will be out after this weekend, but “shortly before” the Blood and Wine expansion goes live on May 31, and Tom Senior's review says that it's very good indeed. Full patch notes can be found here, and the relevant discussion of the update on the CD Projekt forums is here.
Source.

More information.

This is great. After 120 hours, I have still not finished the game and I haven't even bought any DLC yet. I'm happy to get these updates.

I didn't play Gwent at all after the first few hours of the game. I actually enjoyed dice poker in TW2, but gwent always seemed needlessly clumsy and overly dependent on cards rather than skill. I can't even begin to understand all the widespread enthusiasm for it.

As opposed to dice poker which is all about skill? Hah, you must be kidding! Gimmie Gwent anyday!

I didn't play Gwent at all after the first few hours of the game. I actually enjoyed dice poker in TW2, but gwent always seemed needlessly clumsy and overly dependent on cards rather than skill. I can't even begin to understand all the widespread enthusiasm for it.
Of course it's dependant on cards. Every TCG is.
But if you think there is no skill needed, you're very wrong or you didn't even try it.

The enthusiasm comes from when you with crap cards beat the obviously better deck than you can possibly have at certain point of the game. Not with luck but with skill.
Next time you replay the game, try to win the noble man in Emhyr's palace garden the first time you see him and only with cards you could gather before meeting him. It's possible as I did it. Did you? Or should I say, can you?

Dice poker is luck only. Luck in Gwent is the least thing that can affect the outcome.

Deck building skill is probably the #1 aspect of skill in Gwent in this game. You can have a huge deck, but I found it was better to never go past 30 cards. Card draw wins many games as well.

I felt the same way for a long time. Didn't put any time into Gwent. Didn't care. Wasn't interested. Too caught up by everything else.

Then I hit the Vegelbud Estate and knew there was a special Dandelion card here that, if missed, would block the later collect-them-all achievement. I decided to try for it, just in case I later wanted to try for the achievement.

The three matches were tough with my starter cards but I finally got lucky enough to win the card.

Decided from that point that it'd make my life easier if I bought a few cards now and then, just in case. But, really, in retrospect, that was the part where I started obsessing over Gwent. Soon I'd be chasing down any stranger possible for just one more card, and eventually got the collect-them-all achievement without the aid of this new cheat -- er, convenience.

Deck building skill is probably the #1 aspect of skill in Gwent in this game. You can have a huge deck, but I found it was better to never go past 30 cards. Card draw wins many games as well.

Absolutely. If you don't have enough spies and dummies in a deck you are fucked no matter what your other cards are. Sure, Gwent isn't the second coming of Christ but saying that it requires no skill is just BS.

I really enjoyed Gwent until about mid-game. After that, my hands were too powerful-- especially when you get into the full monster deck.

I will say that Gwent match at Vegelbud was awesome, though, and perfectly-matched for what I had at the time. I wish they were all that challenging.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom