The TV Series discussion thread

Just finished watching Taboo. Not sure whre this is heading, but that's what IMO is the show's strength … apart from Tom Hardy's grunts.
Now I'm watching Turn because Sentinel Prime said I might like it, and I'm pleasantly surprised. Especially by the British characters.

Last edited:
Okay, where are spoilers from those who already watched GoT not available everywhere yet thanks to geographical bs?

One improvement over the last series would be that I didn't notice any absurdities regarding travel. Oh, and I'd trade all those shots of dragons with one decent shot of a direwolf or three.

That's old news. Note that CBS is also preparing Star Trek animated series, a few new Short Trek episodes (first four are awsome!) and Section 31 spinoff where the lead will be Yeoh Michelle, who else.

giphy.gif
tumblr_peyhz3fU5b1s12hlbo2_500.gif
tumblr_nyj5gudOaK1r0sheoo9_r1_250.gif

If you enjoyed any of the past iterations of the hallowed Star Trek series, you'll likely not care for Discovery. There's a reason my friends refer to it as the "STD Trek". It is simply beyond awful.

While I thought season 1 of Discovery was pretty 'meh', I thought that season 2 was MUCH better!!

Me & wife just watched Dirty John (Netflix). A great performance by Eric Bana in the role of John Meehan.

I'll pass on any new Star Trek shows as they have the dreaded diversity bug. Seems the current crop of writers and directors for reboots are clueless how to create good shows.

They never capture my interest for long and are always bogged down with current social issues/agendas. Bottom line is not to many TV shows interest me anymore.

Edit: I was reading about the Twilight Zone reboot and it sounds like another failure. Shows supposed to tackle modern social problems. Yep another one bites the dust.
The 10-episode first season explores themes including social media, the fascination and obsession with fame, police brutality and racial profiling, xenophobia, toxic masculinity and blind trust in institutions.

Last edited:
I'll pass on any new Star Trek shows as they have the dreaded diversity bug. Seems the current crop of writers and directors for reboots are clueless how to create good shows.

They never capture my interest for long and are always bogged down with current social issues/agendas.

I must have been watching a different Star Trek for the last 40 years of my life because it's whole theme seemed to me to always be about tackling social issues of one kind of another. Thats why I've found Discovery to be Trek in name only. Entertaining at times but more style over substance and not enough interesting stories around moral quandaries or those terrible social issues. So I'm assuming the issue here is a gay couple or something like that? Thats one thing it gets right for me. I much prefer when these things are presented as just being a reality without any real need to comment on how amazing it is that it is tolerated. Discovery gets most of that right in my opinion as well as a lot wrong.

So I'm assuming the issue here is a gay couple or something like that? Thats one thing it gets right for me. I much prefer when these things are presented as just being a reality without any real need to comment on how amazing it is that it is tolerated. Discovery gets most of that right in my opinion as well as a lot wrong.
Nope wrong try again as it's not that.

Link - https://www.stephenwillis.co/star-trek-discovery-garbage/
Link - https://www.stephenwillis.co/star-trek-discovery-still-sucks-and-cbs-wont-learn-their-lesson/

As for the diversity I'm mostly talking about the Mary Sue/Female Empowerment & all white males are all evil agenda with modern Movies & TV shows in the last few years.

Link - https://medium.com/@matthewkadish/proof-rey-from-the-last-jedi-is-a-mary-sue-storycraft-72cb51aefd2b

Yet that debate will be moved to the locked political forum.

Edit: Yes most of the older Star Trek episodes dealt with social issues but it all comes down to how the lesson is told and portrayed. Which most shows fail in that regard.

Last edited:
Nope wrong. :biggrin:

Link - https://www.stephenwillis.co/star-trek-discovery-garbage/
Link - https://www.stephenwillis.co/star-trek-discovery-still-sucks-and-cbs-wont-learn-their-lesson/

As for the diversity I'm mostly talking about the Mary Sue/Female Empowerment & all white males are all evil agenda with modern Movies & TV shows in the last few years.

Link - https://medium.com/@matthewkadish/proof-rey-from-the-last-jedi-is-a-mary-sue-storycraft-72cb51aefd2b

Yet that debate will be moved to the locked political forum.:)

Neither of those two brief opinion pieces say much if anything. I have issues with Discovery but I'm not about to ignore TV shows or Movies just because the extreme of either side that seem so prevalent these days, be it the anti-SJWs or the rabid left, is annoyed with what it believes is being preached. Too much projection from half these angry internet people. Although I will agree Discovery spends too much time showing us how amazing it's main character is but series two had one character that made it worth watching and it was male. Captain Pike. They obviously didn't get the memo that he should have been evil.

As for Last Jedi I had many issues with that too but Rey's amazing learning abilities (imo opinion just bad writing not some Female Empowerment agenda) was a minor one for me.

One Sc-fi show I do find at least enjoyable is The Orville on Fox. It's basically Star Trek in a setting that mocks itself & adds humor. Hopefully that Patrick Stewart spin-off is good.

As I grew up watching Star Trek Generations and it's various movies.

I was reading about the Twilight Zone reboot and it sounds like another failure. Shows supposed to tackle modern social problems. Yep another one bites the dust.
Bland and shallow. The reboot so far. Scared to move forward, plays too safe = boredom.
Spice Girls were already a point of Star Trek (Voyager) so there is really nothing new. Short Trek and the second season of Discovery is awsome. Feel free to skip the first season. Watch the second. And those four short trek episodes, don't skip them.
Yeah The Orville is good and much more classic Trek-like.
Not really. It's full of humor, it's cheeky and sometimes disgusting - The Orville is simply a top notch sci fi show not scared to talk about anything. Old treks would never ever come close to that tone.
Sure, some stuff does resemble old Treks, but also Blake's 7, Farscape and other onboard a spaceship shows.

Orville may be a bit rough with humour at times, but it is far more a Star Trek show than Discovery ever will be. Not an opinion, simple fact. I found their two part episode to be on par with some of the Next Generation episodes. We do at least have a spiritual successor to Star Trek.

They never capture my interest for long and are always bogged down with current social issues/agendas. Bottom line is not to many TV shows interest me anymore.

Edit: I was reading about the Twilight Zone reboot and it sounds like another failure. Shows supposed to tackle modern social problems. Yep another one bites the dust.

The Twilight Zone was all about modern social problems and the human condition. Serling was deeply affected by the war and drew many of his stories from his own past. It's just that Rod Serling was such a great writer, it never felt like he was hitting you over the head with a social agenda.

As far as the brand new, new Twilgiht Zone. I'll give it a chance. Even the updated TZ that came out in the 80s(?) had its moments.

However, with all that just said, not a big fan of CBS all access. And it seems they are targeting their sci fans to join their "club"

Not really. It's full of humor, it's cheeky and sometimes disgusting - The Orville is simply a top notch sci fi show not scared to talk about anything. Old treks would never ever come close to that tone.
Sure, some stuff does resemble old Treks, but also Blake's 7, Farscape and other onboard a spaceship shows.

Joxer we aren't from that era. When people say having a multiracial kiss on TV was a big deal at the time I'm inclined to believe them. Everything is of it's time.

I keep hoping that CBS will move the Good Fight to regular television, and that's really the only show that I like off their online platform. I'm sure it won't happen, but I like to think it's possible. After what I've seen of their version of Star Trek, I have no interest in checking out the newest iteration of Twilight Zone.

Already posted, the new Twilight Zone is too sterile. So far.
If it doesn't up it's game, it'll be remembered as an irrelevant mediocrity.

Joxer we aren't from that era. When people say having a multiracial kiss on TV was a big deal at the time I'm inclined to believe them. Everything is of it's time.
Don't be so sure which era I belong to. :)

It's not era, it's the society. I can understand some things being blasphemic in a certain country (or more). To me, that kiss being interracial went unnoticed, I mean I didn't feel anything "scandalous".
My feelings aside, Hollywood needed some serious shaking and Star Trek delivered.

Back
Top Bottom