Divinity: Original Sin II - Console and Other Stuff

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
We already knew that a console version of Divinity: Original Sin 2 will be coming to us, so that is not the actual news in this posting, but we can't miss the opportunity of Swen telling us this. Next to that this update and video also shows what they are plannig to change to the journal and inventory. And there is news about PAX and the vinyl soundtrack, we already knew about, so I don't know if it counts as news.

And for completness, this is the official announcement trailer.

And if you don't want to watch the videos, here is some text:

Journal

Your feedback has always been invaluable to us, and we’re still listening! Its safe to say that your number one request in Divinity: Original Sin 2 was for a better journal, so we’ve been hard at work on just that. Our new and improved journal still won't hold you by the hand, but it will be a more direct and useful tool.

• We’ve shortened the text to make it clear what you are supposed to do.
  • We’ve split multiple paths within the same quest into subdivisions.
  • When the journal gives you map markers, you can now jump straight from that journal entry to the specific marker on the map screen.
Inventory

The second biggest request we’ve received is for better inventory management. While we began by looking for ways to tweak the system, we ultimately decided the best idea was to redo it from the ground up.

You’ll soon be able to see your whole party's inventory at-a-glance, and we’ve also added multi-selecting. This will make it easier to bulk-select items to add to your wares or hand over to your teammates.
More information.

Last edited:
When they're putting out console versions it's probably time for a new project, wouldn't you say?

So happy to see they’re gonna put some real work into inventory management! BIG THUMBS UP!!! Can’t wait to see how they’ll improve it!

Yeah, it was in dire need of help. It's what made me glad to be finished with it. The video shows that my inventory issues were addressed by adding the ability to multi-select and then perform the same action on each element in the set.

One would hope so, but the money train is more important apparently.

And damn right they are. They've been on the verge of bankruptcy for most of their existence to bring us the games they have.

They deserve every single penny they can get.

Bah I haven't finished the first game as other RPG games pulled me away. I also never played the sequel either, and as usual better RPG's are being released again.

So I see myself finishing Pillars of Eternity,and playing it's sequel next month instead. Frankly speaking I enjoyed Divinity II over their latest Co-op inspired Ultima clones.

Last edited:
You would think a feature like multi-select would be in at launch. I don't get developers thinking sometimes but at least its getting in now.

And damn right they are. They've been on the verge of bankruptcy for most of their existence to bring us the games they have.

They deserve every single penny they can get.

I was about to say that. Larian struggled a lot and was fucked over by publishers more than once. They deserve to enjoy the success because you can be damn sure that they will try their hardest to make an awesome game in the future.

If it gets them enough money to get me cool RPGs I'm fine with ports to console.

And as always, I hear the music of the videos and it puts a smile on my face!

It is great that console players get to enjoy the game too.
Just have to hope that console income don't make the next game to be ported to the PC instead.

I think the PC community deserves a little better support from Larian before the money grab. There are quests that have been broken since nearly launch that are still not fixed. After all it was the PC community and our pledges over multiple games that has pulled and pushed Larian into the success it has today.

Which quest ? I recently played and the only issue I noticed was that after the cow quest i could not find them in town.

I think the PC community deserves a little better support from Larian before the money grab. There are quests that have been broken since nearly launch that are still not fixed. After all it was the PC community and our pledges over multiple games that has pulled and pushed Larian into the success it has today.

Hum. Yea something weird happened with that one when I played. I did black-pit first - and the fellow sort of started the quest but I can't remember how hannag behaved but she seem indifferent. However by the time i found her I had 3 source points already so that might have had something to do with the events.

Also, Hannag's quest won't trigger if you meet her before the farms area.

Yea, she was indifferent to me even when I hadn't visited Paradise, and my character spoke as if I had been there. That interaction with her is all messed up. But a dev told me it was fixed in the current code base a couple months ago. Too bad they haven't released it in a patch. Too busy with the console ports...

There's still bugs in this game for sure. But I wouldn't characterize Larian as "money grabbing" or not supporting the PC community. In fact, Larian is probably on par with CD Projekt Red when it comes to leaving the gimicky money grabs to EA and developing their games for PC first. While the UIs in the divinity games can use improvement, I'm humbled that there is in fact a proper PC UI with these games in the first place. Many developers leave us with tortured console UIs in PC games. Larian's not perfect, but they have my respect as an honest say-what-you-do do-what-you-say outfit.

Back
Top Bottom