Battle for Wesnoth - Released on Steam

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Battle for Wesnoth has been released on Steam. The game is a fantasy turn-based strategy which is free.

About This Game

The Battle for Wesnoth is an open source, turn-based strategy game with a high fantasy theme. From the plains of Weldyn to the forests of Wesmere, from the mines of Knalga to the soaring peaks of the Heart Mountains, take part in over a dozen adventures spanning centuries! Play as a young prince as he flees the encroaching forces of the Lich Lords to a new home across the sea… Delve into the blackest depths of the earth to craft a jewel of fire itself… Travel the continent in a daring quest to reclaim your rightful throne from a usurping queen… Step into the shoes of a young mage, his village beset by orcish invasion, as he seeks vengeance and immortality… Battle the undead hordes of a foul necromancer as he marches upon your capital… Lead a daring group of survivors across the blazing sands to a final confrontation with an unseen evil… The choice is up to you.

Then take the battle online! Choose from seven fully-balanced factions and duke it out with your friends in over 50 multiplayer maps for parties of all sizes!

Explore hundreds of creative community-made campaigns, maps, and factions for both single and multiplayer, and try your hand at crafting your own! Wesnoth features a built-in map editor, a highly moddable engine, a simple and intuitive scripting language, and a friendly and dedicated modding community. There's no telling what adventures you'll bring to life!
More information.

A really great game. spend a whole lot of time on it.

I also must admit, this game is legendary :) very solid gameplay with tons of content.

Was it a dev group decision to release it for free? Everybody helped so licensing is problematic? Much worse games are sold on Steam for money.. Devs are rich, don't need the dough or just young ignorant?

Was it a dev group decision to release it for free? Everybody helped so licensing is problematic? Much worse games are sold on Steam for money.. Devs are rich, don't need the dough or just young ignorant?

It's open source, so there are lots of contributors who have probably not even met each other.

Although, they are also still working on a mobile version (that's a bit behind on development, unfortunately), which costs money. That came out 9 or so years ago. Hopefully they'll catch up to the desktop version. Then I'll buy it (or even before)!

Last edited:
Tried out this "legendary" game. OK, lets see the tutorial:
- You Cannot End Your Turn Yet
Trying out sensible RPG commands, like SPACE, E, ENTER, I inventory, anything? Nothing works…
- Move your character next to XY NPC. - Okay, Undo [??!] move then go to that idiot..
Trying to hit that stupid training puppet.. Targeting icon is shown, but none of the Hotkeys, mouse controls work. No time left in turn?? End turn!! clickclickclickclickclick End turn!! click End turn!!

Okay… ALT+F4 UNINSTALL. At least that function works…. What nice dump of a "game"

Pros:
+ graphics is nice

Cons:
- Disable annoying UI sounds,
- dial down stupid music.
- UI colors are awful
- WHAT IS THIS HORRIBLE HOTKEY SETUP??
- Absolutely worst horrible interface Non-help

Game is worth playing, if I'm intending to play it alone? Is there a campaign mode?

Game is worth playing, if I'm intending to play it alone? Is there a campaign mode?

Definitely. There are a number of different campaigns included and it's real easy to download more that people have made. I'd say give it a shot and see what you think.

The game is totally open source IIRC. I think once I was thinking of making a turn based tactical RPG and downloaded the source to get ideas on how to do the AI. Like all my personal project ideas I abandoned it after a week or so.

Tried out this "legendary" game. OK, lets see the tutorial:
Trying out sensible RPG commands, like SPACE, E, ENTER, I inventory, anything? Nothing works…

I have no idea what you are talking about. The tutorial missions are extremely easy to follow.

And why would you just randomly hit "sensible RPG commands"? Your criticisms make no sense.

Back
Top Bottom