The Outer Worlds - First Impressions @ PC Gamer

There will never be better romance in a game than the way The Witcher did it. :)

Geralt: "Hi"
Female: "Hello"
Geralt: "Wanna bang?"
Female: "Ok"
*Sex card added to inventory*

*Return to monster slaying.*

Well that's the first Witcher. It gets a little more involved in the sequels.

Then again I remember in the first one the Lady of the Lake asks for a compliment and he falls on his face saying something corny and overdoes it, then gets the option to tell her she has a great ass and she's amused. I don't care that's clever.

everyone said:
No romances = masterpiece instabuy
Well excuse me.
You don't want romances and it's fine by me. But I do want them so I don't have to buy numerous visual novels that aren't RPG really, okay?

Why did I have to wait AC Odyssey appearance in 2018 to finally get a game that includes orgies? Because of all of you and your "no romance or else". Fine, hate me for asking about more choices and consequences. :p

Lol, I heard about the witcher game where it was all about collecting sex cards as a sort of points or collection game, that is pretty funny. If a game did romances like that it would be hilarious if only to see the sjw gaming press throwing fits of outrage about it, in the current year. It would be very entertaining, if nothing else. :lol:

But yea, romances are usually done very poorly and don't add anything much to an rpg. Maybe Cyberpunk 2077 can do better in this area. They certainly couldn't do any worse than the usual.

It's funny how role playing gamers have no problem spending a few minutes on a tutorial to become the all-powerful super space commando protagonist ...but then they'll call completely optional relationship sidestories "shallow".

I remember when HHR had a conniption fit about the gay lover he'd acquired in Dragon Age 2, and posted a video of the distressing scenes he'd been forced to endure. I somehow manged to stumble through the game without any such occurrence, so I'd love to know what the curious old bugger was up to to trigger it. :biggrin:

It's funny how role playing gamers have no problem spending a few minutes on a tutorial to become the all-powerful super space commando protagonist …but then they'll call completely optional relationship sidestories "shallow".

What does being optional have to do with them being shallow? Does that somehow make them better? :)

I remember when HHR
Yea, what happened with that guy anyway? He knew how to make some good trolls, but haven't seen him around for a while. Some. Some were pathetic, ofc. ;)

All activities in video games are shallow compared to their real life counterparts. Combat, romances, dialogues, trade, crafting, exploration etc.
All of us like these activities more or less in video games, so I don't really understand what the fuss is all about when it comes to romances.

I personally don't care at all for crafting. Imho crafting doesn't have a place in RPGs where the protagonist is some kind of traveling hero. Crafting is for artisans in workshops.
So for me all resources spent on crafting in game development are wasted and should be used for improving something else.
But I don't call out on games that have crafting. A lot of gamers enjoy it, so it is included.

I have to disagree.
The witcher is an alchemist for a reason. At the same time is not nor will ever be a blacksmith.
An opposite example is KCD where you're roleplaying a blacksmith rookie. He however is no furniture craftsman nor can become a tailor.

So a craft or two is fine by me. What I can't stand are game designers who allow the main character to become a master of everything.

I think they're worried that where there's romances, there might be gay romances, and we can't have that.

"My face is tired" at all the baiting... ;)

It can't possibly be that the critics actually live in the real world, where any of this writing wouldn't make a lick of sense. Except perhaps to sheltered Californians sipping their morning lattes, while insta-gramming and twittering away on their whose-it-whats its. I can generalize too.

I believe game designers like to implement crafting because it's a cooking recipe -- simple to formulate and easy to follow. If you want cookie-cutter romances, then I suppose you'll be satisfied with clicking x/y/z dialogue options and collecting sex cards.

Lol, I heard about the witcher game where it was all about collecting sex cards as a sort of points or collection game, that is pretty funny.
See, that's not actually true. You can actually roleplay Geralt in a purely celibate fashion and be as neutral as possible philosphically throughout the first game. It's definitely not simply just about card collection at all, as it's purely optional. Personally, I liked the art of the cards, but that's an entirely different subject. :)

In any case, this is quite a distraction to the main topic at hand - The Outer Worlds. If the role-playing aspects to this game are sufficiently deep enough, with plenty of choices and consequences in the spirit of the original Fallouts and New Vegas, then I can see myself playing this. Whilst the art direction and Bioshock influences don't do much for me, I'm reassured by the fact that Cain and Boyarsky are at the helm and hope that they can deliver a great memorable game.

"My face is tired" at all the baiting… ;)

It can't possibly be that the critics actually live in the real world, where any of this writing wouldn't make a lick of sense. Except perhaps to sheltered Californians sipping their morning lattes, while insta-gramming and twittering away on their whose-it-whats its. I can generalize too.

I think you'll find the baiting and generalisation was in the post we were responding to...

I have to disagree.
The witcher is an alchemist for a reason. At the same time is not nor will ever be a blacksmith.
An opposite example is KCD where you're roleplaying a blacksmith rookie. He however is no furniture craftsman nor can become a tailor.

So a craft or two is fine by me. What I can't stand are game designers who allow the main character to become a master of everything.
Yep, potions in TW are indeed not some artificial addon. It's part of the lore that has been written long before. However I'm not sold on doing alchemy at a fireplace in the wild. You normally need some kind of laboratory for that. But then again Witcher magic is involved, so it's not a big immersion breaker.

Smithing in KC:D would indeed have been fiting as well. But still it would have been shallow or boring. Noone likes hammering on a workpiece for hours in a video game.

Boo first person boo…..I'd love to play this, but for anybody with motion sickness, first person is a big no, no. So I hope they add a third person option.

I also get motion sickness with most of first person games :(

Are you sure it's not just a problem of insufficient frame rate, too narrow field of view and laggy/un-smooth mouse control ?

Not sure and even if this is the case, its quite stressful to fiddling around with the setting to get it just right.

I actually like romances in game - if done well, it adds another layer to companion character development and help me to bond with them.

I think you'll find the baiting and generalisation was in the post we were responding to…

Its only baiting if you believe the things SJWs do. That everything is racist,sexist etc etc and we've got to fix it. A position I'm sure 90% of people would disagree with.

Otherwise its a fair commentary on a general trend in entertainment products.

I also get motion sickness with most of first person games :(

Same, and even when I don't, it tends to feel a bit "cramped" for me. I know it's supposedly more realistic, but my eyes see far more of the world and what's going on around me than what's going on in first person games. It's more similar to removing the bottom of a cardboard box, holding it up in front of your face and then viewing the world through that.

I'm not sure if that made any sense, but the point is that an eye is formed like ) instead of |, which means our angle is far greater than just what's straight ahead of us. For example, I can almost always see my body, including my hands, even without holding them up in front of my face.

Back
Top Bottom