The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

Urgh, I hate vinyl records for as long as I can think back because of the scratches and all. Listening experience with my horrible old record player was … urgh. It made me afraid of vinyl, so I rather bought cassettes.
But cassettes can go all haywire, so the moment the CD came, I bought CDs. Now CDs can have get holes and all, so the moment I could rip them to MP3, I did. Now I have suitcases filled with CDs in the attic and HDDs filled with MP3s. Regularly backed-up HDDs, of course!

I also like what Amazon did with their cloud player … most of the CDs I bought back to 2000 are available as free downloads now. Saved me several hours of searching through the suitcases in the attic last night, as I found out that I hadn't ripped one of my CDs after all. Luckily I remembered that I had bought it via Amazon back then, and luckily it was one of those available as MP3 downloads.

As for what I'm currently listening to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBXKOTEWHvE
Yeah, being nostalgic.

Pibbur who considers Magma one of his favourite bands.
Ah yes, I love Magma as well :).

Last edited:
I should get around to backing up my cds some day. I have close to 700 and some are over 20 years old.

The thing to pay attention to is older ones that are not on iTunes or any of the streaming sites ... I have a bunch of those!

Do you speak about Scheveningen near Den Haag? I was there 25 years ago on a short holiday trip if I remember right. Nice beach!
I lived there for 15 years, it took me a five minutes' walk to the beach. Rarely visited it. :)

Yes, I know Dolce Vita, the album. So they're still touring - Bots is too, so I've learned from a tv documentary a couple of weeks ago. I presume you know Bots?
Das weiche Wasser - Bots.
The singer died, but the atomic bombs are still around. I live in THEIR vicinity now. Prefer the beach though. :)

Last edited:
One of the best live blues records ever:

The thrill is gone - BB king Live in Cook County Jail

… and yes I'm old enough to know Bots, but I saw them on TV, only.

I know the songtext out of the 'Friedensbewegung':

Europa hatte zweimal Krieg
der dritte wird der letzte sein.
Gib bloß nicht auf, gib nicht klein bei,
das weiche Wasser bricht den Stein.

Die Bombe, die kein Leben schont,
Maschinen nur und Stahlbeton.
Hat uns zu einem Lied vereint

Es reißt die schwersten Mauern ein
und sind wir schwach und sind wir klein,
wir wollen wie das Wasser sein,

Raketen steh‘n vor uns’rer Tür,
die soll’n zu uns’rem Schutz hier sein.
Auf solchen Schutz verzichten wir,

Die Rüstung sitzt am Tisch der Welt,
und Kinder, die vor Hunger schrei’n,
für Waffen fließt das große Geld,

Komm feiern wir ein Friedensfest,
und zeigen, wie sich’s leben läßt.
Mensch, Menschen können Menschen sein,

simply great.

One of the best live blues records ever:

The thrill is gone - BB king Live in Cook County Jail
Not only do I owe the album Dolce Vita but BB King Live in Cook County Jail as well. :)

… and yes I'm old enough to know Bots, but I saw them on TV, only.

I know the songtext out of the 'Friedensbewegung':

simply great.
I knew Bots, but I had to watch that documentary to learn about the song of Das weiche Wasser. Didn't even know Bots was big in Germany :) , BRD and DDR apparently.

I begin to think that Omega and HiddenX should get their own private song discussion thread ... ;)

I begin to think that Omega and HiddenX should get their own private (song) discussion thread … ;)

Choose a title, Alrik:

a) How to speak properly and master the art of conversation
b) Omega vs. HiddenX banter - an exchange of light, playful, teasing remarks
c) Cheerful Omega/HiddenX talk aka dispel deadly boredom
d) HiddenX vs. Omega - Debating in Anti-Codex-Style

On the other hand I'm like you Alrik - I like to derail threads now and then and Omega is a perfect partner in crime :)

-> no new thread needed.

So, a nearby radio station does a "send in your playlist" thing over lunch each day. They mostly play 80s pop during that time, calling it Retro Lunch. You pick 10 songs and they decide if they like your list. I don't really have a burning desire to deal with the radio station, but my mind has taken up the task of trying to create the lists. I've added the complication that I want tightly themed lists made of 80s songs that the average southern Indiana redneck would recognize.

Here's an example of an unfinished list I've come up with (I haven't ordered it yet into anything with proper flow, this is just a data dump):
Jamie's Crying - Van Halen
Sara Smile - Hall and Oates
Madelaine - Winger
Gloria - Laura Branigan
Luka - Suzanne Vega
Veronica - Elvis Costello
Sister Christian - Night Ranger
Jenny - Tommy Tutone
Valerie Loves Me - Material Issue (this one might be too indie)

Anyone wanna play? I've got half a dozen other themes rolling around, but I haven't really gotten serious about the whole "project" yet.

International 80s Pop Music - successful in Germany (out of the top 100) - my selection:

O.M.D.: Maid Of Orleans (The Waltz Of Joan Of Arc)
Pink Floyd: Another Brick In The Wall (Part II)
Kim Wilde: Kids In America
Visage: Fade to Grey
Men at Work: Down Under
Mike Olfield: Moonlight Shadow
Soft Cell: Tainted Love
Dexis Midnight Runners: Come On Eileen
Joe Dolce: Shaddap You Face
Roxette: The Look

Like them all - some titles are played too often in the radio.
I don't know if they were all successful in the US, too.

Hehe, out of HiddenX' selection I owned records of Visage, Soft Cell and Joe Dolce back in the days (quite a combination). Hubby had Kim Wilde and Men at Work records. Nowadays we have everything on the list :D.

Back
Top Bottom