Diablo 3 player makes $10,000 in auction house sales

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
WishboneTheDog has posted up screen grabs of his Diablo 3 auction house transaction history and his personal PayPal account to show just how successful he has been in making money through Blizzard’s game.

There is even a Reddit AMA dedicated to his efforts, in which he discusses the state of the Diablo 3 economy, claims that it is rapidly slowing down and what his could mean for the future of online marketplaces in games.

He even claims that Diablo 3 players largely stop playing once they complete the game, resulting in a significant drop-off in auction house activity, but estimates that the economy should pick up once Diablo 3 PvP support is initialised by Blizzard.

fiWAa.png

Zc4A6.png

All I can say is holy shit. I thought you couldn't make a fortune off the auction house.

If only the game had any longevity - this would be nothing at all.

If only the game had any longevity - this would be nothing at all.

Just think of all the time it took the player to accumulate all that loot. You can't say he wasted his time at least.

Is that before tax?

Taxes on online sales don't have to be paid till tax time. I learned that the hard way. It's called a luxury tax on your tax form.

Really it depends on what your state or government rules are. At least until the Federal internet tax bill goes into effect and is passed.

I wonder if he was an invincible wizard with that bug they had

OMG someone got rich by playing Diablo!!!

Wait… 10K $… After months of grinding… Well, excuse me, but it's far from getting rich.
In fact I made more money by NOT playing Diablo since it got released. Can't show you the balance though, there is no Diablo-software to make it fancy looking sheet like the one in the first post.
Oh and… I invested(!) less money in nonDiablo games.

OMG someone got rich by playing Diablo!!!

Wait… 10K $… After months of grinding… Well, excuse me, but it's far from getting rich.
In fact I made more money by NOT playing Diablo since it got released. Can't show you the balance though, there is no Diablo-software to make it fancy looking sheet like the one in the first post.
Oh and… I invested(!) less money in nonDiablo games.

At least you don't seem emotionally invested in any of it ;)

Taxes on online sales don't have to be paid till tax time. I learned that the hard way. It's called a luxury tax on your tax form.

Really it depends on what your state or government rules are. At least until the Federal internet tax bill goes into effect and is passed.

Yeah, in the UK I wonder if it'd count as 'winnings', which are tax-free, or virtual-goods, which aren't.

Nah he is just jealous and has an extreme hatred of Diablo 3.:cm:

Jealous on what? :D

And I don't hate Diablo 3, it's the best showcase how far human stupidity can go - we need such stuff so we don't lose the connection with reality. By "stuff" I don't mean just games. Here's a different example: Marmaduke (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1392197/). That poor excuse of a movie (taken from wiki) earned $3.4 million on opening day, and closed on September 16, 2010 after grossing $33,644,788 domestically and an additional $50,117,056 overseas for a worldwide total of $83,761,844.

One can only wonder what's the point of making quality things you can't sell when crap sells equally successful or even better than sex.

Here's a different example: Marmaduke (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1392197/). That poor excuse of a movie (taken from wiki) earned $3.4 million on opening day, and closed on September 16, 2010 after grossing $33,644,788 domestically and an additional $50,117,056 overseas for a worldwide total of $83,761,844.

One can only wonder what's the point of making quality things you can't sell when crap sells equally successful or even better than sex.

Hey I enjoyed that movie blasphemer.:p

Well I agree but as the saying goes one mans crap is an others treasure. Hollywood has other problems such as remakes and reboots. There is no creativity anymore.

Or it's simply as you said crap sells. We will continue to get crap.;)

But there is creativity! Rare, I admit, but still there is. And it warms my heart when it's a case of success.
The same year when Marmaduke sold in millions, ppl also watched Inception, say what you want but it's still a masterpiece of creativity and innovation, and it earned 10 times more money than Marmaduke. ;)

Lemme return to the beginning, while a certain one single person on the planet, let's call him Marmaduke, made 10K$ with Diablo 3, many other persons earned even more money and are not playing Diablo 3 at all.

$10k in a month and a half is hardly chicken feed for most people. Congratulations to the guy for capitalizing on the ridiculousness of the situation while he still could.

Yeah and there are certainly countries where making 10k in USD in that short a time, would mean striking it rich. It shows that there is definitely still going to be a demand for organized farming or hacking/account theft.

If I earned 1/100 of that I would be an extremely happy person.

I would be too! So far, I earned $0 >.> Simply not getting good enough items to sell in first place!

Can't say I'm big into money - but if I could generate that kind of return from playing a game that I also happened to enjoy, THEN I would be happy I didn't have to work so much :)

Back
Top Bottom