Stellaris

How does this compare to something like Gal.Civ 2..? i'm not a huge strategy / 4x fan i guess, but for some reason i absolutely loved GalCiv 2.
Can't answer in-depth due to lack of experience. I have the huge GalCiv 2 Edition with all expansions included and even started playing a big map once, though never finished. I'm bad with strategy and micro-management. I sometimes have a space opera itch that needs to be satisified, however, and Stellaris was the latest so I tried that. I'm almost done with my first complete run-through.

Biggest difference I guess is that GalCiv2 is turn-based, while Stellaris is real-time with pause. The developers have incorporated nearly the entirety of Sci-Fi literature themes and memes into one game, which I really appreciate. And -- especially with version 1.5 that's due in April, there are lots of opportunities to tinker with and roleplay your empire.

What Stellaris still lacks according to 4x fans, however, is a proper diplomacy system and espionage. I don't remember how far developed those were in GalCiv2, but I do remember espionage.
Oh, and Stellaris doesn't have memorable Leaders with different, fixed personalities like in Master of Orion. Instead, it's much more freeform, like Skyrim ("emergent story").

Thanks, sounds pretty good! Probably worth waiting a year or something for updates and patches though.. i also see that the engine is 32bit only, some people complaining about performance in the later stages of the game.

I'd say the biggest difference with classical 4X is that it's all about playing a race and interacting with the rest of the galaxy. There is a lot more "roleplay" here than in your average 4X. If you've ever played one of PDX' other games, it very much plays like a "light-weight Crusader Kings 2 in space", IMHO, though with less focus on characters but more on your chosen race.

I really dig this game, but give it a whirl and see for yourself. I'm waiting for Utopia and then I'm diving back in myself. :)

I also think that in Stellaris it's less about winning. I haven't checked in since release, but afaik there are still no victory conditions on a bigger map which you can reach realistically.
So it's more about the enjoyment and "roleplay" which wiretripped mentioned, less about the ultimate goal to win the game.

Utopia is live! :biggrin:

The time has come to lead your species into a permanent golden age; to a future where the brilliance of your scientists and energy of your administrators is harnessed to build immense megastructures that dwarf even the planet itself. Sound leadership and a firm hand in diplomacy will bring your species to the promised land, to Utopia.

Utopia is the first major expansion for Stellaris, the best-selling science fiction grand strategy game that delivers unparalleled variety in an ever changing universe. Utopia adds new ways to improve your planets and even your species itself, with a greater focus on allowing you to reach your full potential in a multitude of new ways - both peaceful and aggressive.

One of the major upgrades in Utopia is the addition of Ascension perks. Harness the unity of your species to establish strong cultural traditions allowing your empire to pursue your specific vision of Utopia. Choose to advance via genetic engineering, psionic exploration, or even abandon frail mortal flesh entirely and pursue a path of cybernetic ascension.

Stelaris is a fairly good 4X game. Actually, for an independent studio, it's great. I certainly enjoyed it. I think it's a better space 4X than Endless Space.

Even though it's fantasy, I like Endless Legend the most.

And it's only getting better. There's still a lot more they can expand on and flesh out, I can't wait to see where PDX takes this game.

Not to mention it has some of my favorite in-game music. :)

Music is awesome, reminiscent of Vangelis and Brian Eno. Man, 80s rule.

Have they made combat interesting? As in, do technology and tactics matter - beyond simply having the biggest guns?

Technology does matter because it impacts ship load-out. That, and your fleet leaders, is about all the tactics there are to combat. No fleet stances unfortunately.
You can also set traps for your enemies by using stations.

But uhm, I'm not sure what you expect more combat-wise from a 4x (even though technically it's not a 4x pur sang)?

Ever played Endless Space? That game had horrible combat, Stellaris is light years ahead.

Technology does matter because it impacts ship load-out. That, and your fleet leaders, is about all the tactics there are to combat. No fleet stances unfortunately.
You can also set traps for your enemies by using stations.

But uhm, I'm not sure what you expect more combat-wise from a 4x (even though technically it's not a 4x pur sang)?

Ever played Endless Space? That game had horrible combat, Stellaris is light years ahead.

I don't really expect anything - I just like good things :)

Master of Orion 2 had excellent combat for its time, for example.

Sword of the Stars and the new Master of Orion remake also have better combat.

Master of Orion 2 had excellent combat for its time, for example.

Sword of the Stars and the new Master of Orion remake also have better combat.

Never played MoO (the remake is on my wishlist though). I did play a bit of SotS but it's been too long to remember, honestly.

Either way, yeah, combat is not Stellaris strongest suit, I'll grant that. This DLC was not really focused on it either, so I don't think it'll have improved it a lot from the base game. I only put a few hours into Utopia so far, so it's a bit too early to tell with any certainty.

I'm pretty confident there'll be at least one DLC focusing on ship combat down the road.

Isn't stellaris aimed at multi-player or does it have a decent single player campaign ?

I wouldn't say it is aimed at MP, no. At least not more than any other PDS game like EU or CK. Similarly to those, you can't really say it has a "campaign" either.

It is very much in the vein of EU or CK: you pick a nation (a race in the case of Stellaris) and you choose your own goals.

BIG changes coming in the next update, called "Cherryh": I am very excited about some of the stuff they talked about so far that is reworked and added.

Check it out:

I'm really psyched for number 2, the FTL rework. Quite the bold move axing the asymmetrical FTL options for a more streamlined FTL mechanism, but I believe it will be better for the game. I believe the Hyperlanes, coupled with the new star bases and "galactic terrain", will make warfare a lot more interesting and create natural choke points and strategically important systems.
Also, a rework of the doomstack issue is promised to be included, which, paired with the above, should hopefully turn warfare from one of the game's weaker points to a strong asset. :)

No ETA yet on this patch, unfortunately.

What about combat? Not that I've played it much - but it seemed to be very much about throwing a large fleet with the latest tech at something and that was it.

I would love a slightly more meaningful and tactical approach to combat.

What about combat? Not that I've played it much - but it seemed to be very much about throwing a large fleet with the latest tech at something and that was it.

I would love a slightly more meaningful and tactical approach to combat.

Yes, that's the doomstack issue I was referring to. They're promising to deal with that in the upcoming patch, but no details have been divulged yet. I believe they'll probably have a fleet cap (possibly based on admiral skill) or some sort of "system attrition" mechanic.
The galactic terrain stuff, the chokepoints provided by hyperlanes and the new star fortresses should already make warfare a lot more strategic.

As for the combat itself (as in fleet-to-fleet, with fleet stances and the like), I don't think they'll flesh that out much more as that's not really in the scope of this game. You'll need to play an RTS a la Homeworld for that.

Back
Top Bottom