Pillars of Eternity II - Your Own Ship

I don't know why this is such bad news. I think it is pretty cool.

Depends on whether ships and the whole naval theme were core goals initially.

Considering the original Artwork that's very likely. ;)

I'm definitely in the "I hate this!" camp. Yes, it is personal taste, to state the obvious, but I hate pirate crap...this smells like they are also going to be putting in piratey themes into the game..for me, that is a huge turn off. I just lost most of my interest in this game.

And I have never seen a rule on rpg watch directing that you must only say positive and/or gushing things about every game in the news here, as if we all have to play the fan-boy role...please. If that was so, this place would get very boring. Just my opinion.

Risen 2 had a similar feature. I think the PoE2 version will be more, I dunno, "old-school RPG-ish" in the design. We'll see. I don't see any harm in adding this, though. It might actually be cool to sail to some weird area and explore on foot, etc.. Although I am wondering how they are going to balance that. Will there be Baldur's Gate-style level scaling? I hope it isn't hard level scaling that just scales the world with you. I don't think it will be but I'm not following the design closely just yet.

And I have never seen a rule on rpg watch directing that you must only say positive and/or gushing things about every game in the news here, as if we all have to play the fan-boy role…please. If that was so, this place would get very boring. Just my opinion.
There is a difference between giving arguments and just being bitchy that some people don't understand. You don't like the game because you don't like pirates is an argument (taste). Saying the game is crap because it didn't meet your expectations, is not. Everyone who keeps to the first pattern - just like you - should be welcome. Just my 2ct.

I don't think it's going to be another Sid Meier's Pirates. This would mean rewarding pirate behaviour. But I think it's going to be more of a seafarer adventure with pirate attacks and sea monsters lurking for innocent travellers. You can't have a caribbean setting without that.

There is a difference between giving arguments and just being bitchy that some people don't understand. You don't like the game because you don't like pirates is an argument (taste). Saying the game is crap because it didn't meet your expectations, is not. Everyone who keeps to the first pattern - just like you - should be welcome. Just my 2ct.

Then thats what you should say from now on, rather than let people wonder what is upsetting you. Better to give an explanation than a complaint.

There was only one point in RPGWatch history when I was upset, and that was when homophobics where allowed to spill their hatred in these forums without consequences. So I actually wonder if we have the same reception of my daily mood.

There was only one point in RPGWatch history when I was upset, and that was when homophobics where allowed to spill their hatred in these forums without consequences. So I actually wonder if we have the same reception of my daily mood.

Just some friendly advice on how to avoid misunderstanding. I'm not a moderator and I'm not bothered really but I see this type of pointless back and forth too often.

I'm really interested in reasonable PoV and - from my experience - so are many others in these forums. But there have been indeed some topics especially about PoE that looked like there is no love for alternative sights. Imho that was very often a problem demonstrated above and it escalated quickly. But every time we did not act like Cato (ceterum censeo…) we also had some very interesting discussions. We should really proceed that way.

IMHO, especially PoE is an interesting topic. Baldur's Gate is a monolith in CRPG history and many devs tried to overcome its influence on player's expectations. PoE seems to be one of the closest approaches to get near to it, but it's also interesting how many gamers disagree with Obsidian's way to handle things - even gamers I thought would love it. I learned several things from people who didn't like it. So give us a chance to understand. I think we can all profit from such input.

I'm really curious why so many people don't like pirates? Sometimes I think it is the same reason why my girlfriend didn't like Sherlock Holmes: because of the depiction of Basil Rathbone. That picture killed every interest. Since we have BBC's Sherlock that changed dramatically to the opposite. Maybe the same is true for pirates? Everyone gets instantly this picture of Johnny Depp playing Jack Sparrow and doesn't like it? I always thought "everything's better with pirates". ;)

I'm really curious why so many people don't like pirates? Sometimes I think it is the same reason why my girlfriend didn't like Sherlock Holmes: because of the depiction of Basil Rathbone. That picture killed every interest. Since we have BBC's Sherlock that changed dramatically to the opposite. Maybe the same is true for pirates? Everyone gets instantly this picture of Johnny Depp playing Jack Sparrow and doesn't like it? I always thought "everything's better with pirates". ;)

I think too many developers don't do pirates in an interesting way. They fail to capture the imagination in the systems of play and the fights are just regular fights with a pirate skin and 'yohoho' attached. I'm guessing people find them corny as well. If developers were to skew closer to the prime reason for piracy which is survival/profiteering then it could be more interesting. Less Disney more fantasy realism is what I'm trying to say.

As far as i've understood, you own a ship and hire a ship crew, but you won't be pirates. You're just adventurers, explorers. Sure you may encounter pirates, but it won't be the main focus. There is plenty of other kind of stuff.

Last edited:
Wasn't it just one wallpaper though?

I'd assumed from the beginning, with the description of the setting, that ships would be worked in somehow. But I've seen that artwork used in advertisements on Facebook, so it's safe to say that it is a primary aspect of the game. People who were attracted to the game by the ad would probably be disappointed if they bought the it and it had very little to do with ships.

For me, re: pirates, I just prefer classical fantasy. Pirates to me are a genre all onto itself, and a game could focus solely on that. To me, mixing pirates with classical fantasy just doesn't work...I feel the same way about mixing guns into fantasy games - instant turn off. Call me a purist I guess.

Also, maybe I did see too many cheesy depictions of pirates in movies and tv shows, lol. Another reason is I just don't like games set on oceans/on the sea. Yea, discovering remote islands to explore is a cool concept, but sailing all over to get there is the boring part. I'd rather just have the game set on land, in classical fantasy games, and be able to explore dungeons, wilderness, towns and cities, and all the numerous and abundant things that a huge land mass has to offer.

Ship with scripted encounters sounds great. It's just taking the boat from BG2 one step further and I think it is a logical progression given where the game is set. I expected this on day one when I made my pledge less than 5 minutes after the Fig launched.

Back
Top Bottom