Avencast - Wrap Report @ RPG Vault

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Clockstone's Tri Do Dinh and Michael Schiestl have penned an enjoyable Wrap Report on Avencast for RPG Vault:
Tri Do Dinh: We had two big goals concerning the design of the game. One was bringing a fresh twist to the genre by trying a new combat system. After all, you're spending a lot of time vanquishing evil, so to speak, so we wanted to create a system that is really able to capture the action and keep it interesting. The other was finding a design that would turn our weakness, our small team, into a strength. Rather than going for sheer scope and complexity, which wouldn't have been possible, we decided to make Avencast smaller, but at the same time as charming and interesting as possible, with real attention to the details.
In terms of art direction, we didn't want to go for the classic orcs and elves fantasy look, so we took a lot inspiration from unusual things... the Mayan civilization, things like that.
More information.

No wonder the game has such a nice charm under neat, good work small independent Clockstone. :highfive:

Omg, he said the magic word, Coop! ;)

Avencast is just great - the more I play it the more I like it. I agree: underrated.

Let's hope they will develop an add-on.

Let us hope the add-on fleshes the game out a ton. As of right now, there really isn't much game there. It's definitely not worth $40. Avencast can be finished in about 8-10 hours if you skip some of the sidequests. If you do everything you might have a 15 hour game. You can only choose two classes in the whole game. The game is almost completely linear after the beginning area. There are only 4 statistics to add points to, etc. I'm not sure what people are seeing in this game. Hexen and Nox do the same basic thing much better and they were released years ago.

This is an extremely niche game and I'm not sure if the market will bear it. If I were the develepors I'd be ecstatic if I got 500 purchases. I hope, for their sake, that I'm wrong.

Back
Top Bottom